Bf110G4 NJG4 1944/45 FINISHED!!!!! YIPPEE.

mozart

Fiddly parts N3 and N5 fitted fore and aft before the radiator housings:

bj3ank.jpg

then:

TFe2ez.jpg

ehJ6eN.jpg

I've been thinking about the clear panels in the engine nacelles through which the pilot read oil pressures etc.  I'm experimenting with Krystal Klear rather than using the modified kit parts,

aKpvYm.jpg

it's looking encouraging so far.

I've painted up the unit with the indicators and used some generic Airscale dials.  It locates on the engine bearer above the fourth cylinder but I suspect I'll probably glue it to the inside of the nacelle on the closed-up starboard engine.  I'm quite pleased with the way the Krystal Klear has worked, the dials are just visible enough in the test piece (a spare Bf110E nacelle opened up) but I've thinned the walls of the resin nacelle to bring the unit slightly further forward:

LFVwcA.jpg

xIYXK7.jpg

Thanks Alain and Gaz, must admit I'm rather pleased with the way it's worked out and you're right Alain, because it's clean and simple I'll be doing the "windows" after cowl painting is complete. 

Loving your work Max :)

Can you provide a brief explanation of exactly what you've done with that 'Kristal Klear' stuff?

I've never seen the product before - but it looks interesting - If I read the photos right, like some sort of clear resin?

Rog :)

4 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Loving your work Max :)

Can you provide a brief explanation of exactly what you've done with that 'Kristal Klear' stuff?

I've never seen the product before - but it looks interesting - If I read the photos right, like some sort of clear resin?

Rog :)

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MI-9

Nothing as sophisticated as resin Rog, it's a gloopy liquid which looks like it could be PVA based. All you do is get a large drop of it on a sharpened cocktail stick or similar, hold the drop against one edge of the window/opening then carefully pull the stick across to the other side. It takes a bit of practice but eventually the surface tension of the stuff will hold it in place, filling the gap completely. It then dries clear BUT there is always a bit of a "dip" in the centre of the window so it's never completely flat like plastic. Once dry it's quite tough like a thin skin.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a rather busy time of late with family weddings etc but managed a bit of bench time here and there.  I have decided to complete the wings as whole sub-assemblies before moving on to the fuselage, so the wheel wells and undercarriage were first.  The strengtheners are very poorly shown in the instructions so I made sure that I identified and positioned each piece before committing to glue:

J0nbce.jpg

then the rest went together in a straightforward way, building each part of the u/c up in situ:

Cfr9fy.jpg

Once the top half of the wing was fitted I could move on to the engine nacelles, starting with the oil cooler and its housing onto the lower nacelle:

2rJhmh.jpg

which was then secured to the lower wing half in two stages, left side then right.  A smear of filler was required to get a good fit between the oil cooler fairing and the nacelle.  

1TKpE8.jpg

YqH7n8.jpg

The port side's progressing too:

IyihvL.jpg

Yes they are Andy, even more so in 1/48th and just as confusing!  I'm finding the fit of the resin nacelle parts quite a challenge, so pleased I only have to wrestle the starboard lot into submission!

PS I've just looked at your build for the nacelles which seems to have gone remarkably smoothly but then realised that you haven't fitted either engine, I'm sure that makes a significant difference!  I think butchery is called for with mine.

Edited by mozart