HpH conversion set 1/32 MiG-23BN is officially out

Siola

On 10/5/2018 at 1:15 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

I just got a PayPal invoice for 64 euro with postage to the US.  A bit steep, as the postage is almost as much as the kit.

So 64 euro minus 47 for the kit = 17 euros postage? I am always puzzled by US customers thinking that's expensive postage. If you were to send that back to the Czech republic using US postage it would cost $35 I.e. twice the amount...

So, 64 € less 39 € kit ([47 / 120] x 100 so as to deduct 20% VAT) = 25 € postage ?  We could keep guessing all week. What joy! 

As a European (only just) 47€ is a tiny bit pricey but I'll give HpH that for a UB conversion.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The set has another quite annoying error. The armor plates are located too far backwards! And this is quite noticeable (close to 3mm! ). I could not easily consider leaving that as such on a 23BN but now that I have converted the parts to become an early MiG-27 nose, this is even worse. Not impossible to correct but time consuming. 

Btw, if you consider the Delta N pod, please make the very similar camera pod that was located on the other LERX. Only the front end was different. 

Hi Jennings,

With regard to the camera pod, you are right, I could not check in my Gordon/Kommissarov book but it looks it was only used on early MiG-27s. By the way the location of the Delta N fairing is also a little bit different. It is on the LERX edge on the 27 whereas it is under on the 23BN.

Here's a set of pictures showing the armor error. This is less visible on the 23BN because of the longer air intake splitter plate. However, as the armor plate has globally correct dimensions, the front location is also wrong.

I had serious doubts as I studied the 23BN in Brussels quite closely some years ago. Alas, I did not take good pictures of that area. I saw that discrepancy on plans and a difference between my two resin noses. So, I wondered: were the plans correct or not as we know they are often so-so? Moreover, globally, the LEM nose is not really accurate. I also wondered if the plate location did not change between the two marks. This would be strange has the nose structure and cockpit tub location stayed the same.

After a quick check on many walkaround pictures, the assumption was unfortunately confirmed. Have a look hereunder.

The first picture shows you the difference between the Hph and LEM noses. I do not like the LEM 27 nose, because as I already wrote, it is far too deep. However, the armor plate dimensions and location are quite accurate. Look at the red and yellow lines. Do not bother about the Hph air intake changes (yellow resin visible) as I'm modifying the part to make an early 27.

xnJGbdO.jpg

Then look at that picture of a full-scale 23BN. The intake splitter plate hides a large part of the edge but you can see where it should go.

wW65spQ.jpg

And now two better pictures from early MiG-27s as the picture angle is a little bit better and the rear armor edge is fully visible:

a8H5JE9.jpg

pKopTe9.jpg

And now, look at the front and rear edges location on another 23BN. It is the same as on early 27s.

SBKkAlJ.jpg

I think that the difference is quite obvious, don't you think so?

BR

Thierry

(Pictures included for the purpose of illustration)

What puzzled me when I saw the kit was the fact the front tip of the support of the air intake was going over the armored plate. To me, this did not look logical. Now, we know why.

Please find hereunder pictures of the MiG-27 camera pod (pictures posted for illustration purposes).

e8LJeng.jpg

WyuiZnN.jpg

The Delta N pod on the 27 other side is identical except its tip (pointy rather than hollowed with a small door for the camera):

pOGVoZZ.jpg

Hth

Thierry

Another missing area is the cockpit changes. The mud mover versions had two typically different areas. All versions had slightly different IPs but noticeably different from the fighter ones. They also had a panel with switches on the tub rear bulkhead, close to the port side of the seat head cushion. The rest of the pit was fortunately very similar. 

Hi,

there are a lot of very useful information here about the MiG-23BN.... thank you guys.

I'm working on the Trumpeter MF kit with the HpH conversion set to build a Czech 23BN, and I would like to ask you some question about the colors used in the early 90's.

What colors were used for the landing gear bays and the airbrake vanes?

The landing gear legs were in Dark Grey?

Is it true that the camouflage colors were changed when the Czech MiG-23BNs were sent to Est Germany for overhaul maintenance?

Could you suggest me some FS /Gunze / Tamiya references for these colors?

Thank you in advance,

Piero

By the way, my remark about the switches panel is possibly not relevant for the BN as it looks the panel appeared after the end of the MiG-27 without suffix version. Good news as recreating the IP is already a head scratching work. This is possible with parts from the Aires photoetched sets and some additionnal bezels (Airscale or others).

I have yet to look at the colors. I'm not yet there! Moreover, as my kit will be an early Soviet MiG-27 version (seventies),  I cannot give you relevant hints about the Czech ones used twenty years later.