HpH conversion set 1/32 MiG-23BN is officially out

Siola

I choose the same approach for my early MiG-27 IP: cut parts from the Eduard IP with some additional items from Airscale and Reheat glued on very thin plasticard. By the way except the series of covered rectangular knobs and some bezels located on the right side, the IP is identical on the BN and the 27 without suffix. 

Hi Jennings. 

Globally, you nailed it quite accurately. I can testify as I just ended the play with the photoetched parts puzzle! I must still add some knobs/buttons/switches to avoid the 2D effect. In such a perspective, 3D printing is far better as far as the printer resolution can cope with it. 

On 10/3/2018 at 10:16 PM, Ivan Ivanovich said:

[Update, 5 October 2018]

Earlier today, Mirek confirmed that the Delta-NM bullet fairing will not be included in the set.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Is it just me or is the Delta-N fairing missing? Couldn't spot it in any of the available photographs...

http://shop.hphmodels.cz/cs/chemie-a-doplnky/203-mig-23bn-conversion-set-for-trumpeter-kit.html

Despite being a fairly small part, it's one of THE characteristic features making a BN a BN.

In operational use, the Delta-NM fairing were only removed if the a/c was to be equipped with MBD3 tandem bomb racks.

WBMorB0.jpg

Hello,

here is my attempt to scratchbuild the Delta-NM fairing.

23BN_2

23BN_3

Now I'm working on the bulged front landing gear doors...

CIAO!

Piero

5 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

If you can wait a bit I'll save you the work Piero!

... the coronavirus quarantine is very long... so, here it is where I'm with some parts of my 23BN. 

Resin HpH front section is glued with the cockpit and front landing gear bay inside.

23BN_5

If you are looking for the perfect match for the Russian Cockpit Torquise used by Eduard for the PE... go with the Real Colors RC206... used with a brush or airbrush... just the same shade of color.

Now the bulged front landing gear doors.

23BN_6

Need to be refined and detailed.

The wings are already painted... I want to check the camouflage colors too...

23BN_7

That's all for today.

CIAO!

Piero

Hi Jennings, 

I fully understand the idea to avoid the 27 as it is quite probable my kit will be the only one of its kind. So, you should be totally crazy to create aftermarket for a single kit! And the 27 pods are only one part of the items I need to convert or scratchbuild. I wish you good luck for your set. 

By the way, here is a funny fact about the Hph set: The exhaust part is actually coming from the resin gate of the Aires MiG-23MF/ML exhaust afterburner part! 

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

So I’m having my CAD guy do the Delta-N pod, the main IP, and the nose gear doors with the bulges in them.  

What I need to find out is how many people would be interested in a set of them?  You can’t build an accurate MiG-23BN from the HpH set without those items (sorry, not going to get into MiG-27 stuff).  If you’re interested, please let me know so I can figure out if we need to go to the trouble of creating molds, or simply 3D printing them (on a very high end machine) to order.  Right now I have no clue on the cost, so just gauging interest.

Hello Jennings,

great CAD work here!

I'm in for two complete set.

Happy Easter!

Piero

Question about the wheel doors: 

If we look at these two pictures posted earlier in this topic:

SBAy8FH.jpg

dFRh2zX.jpg

Both are Mig-23B, both are empty stores. Fuel weight might be different but the angle of the wheeldoors are different from one aircrfat to another? 

Why? 

is that dependant on aircraft parked/moving, 

It's something I have been noticing on straight Mig-23 as well, so inquiring minds wants to know :)

thanks

10 hours ago, red Dog said:

I have no interest in a Mig-23B, but the prospect of a late Mig-27 is really appealing to me. Who knows I might  :)

Hello Olivier,

The pods were only present on the early Mig-27, not on the K, M or D. And if you start from the LEM kit, you have the correct LG doors. Moreover each mark had a different IP.

I'm using the Hph BN nose  as it is very similar to the early 27 one. The LEM kit gives a MiG-27M nose but this is the worst part of the kit (far too deep). This explains why I'm finally using the Hph nose. Alas, there is a difference of 4mm of heigth between both noses! So, I had to decrease the heigth of the LEM front fuselage. This is solved but now I have to decrease the heigth of the air intakes. And, guess what, this asks for decreasing the LERX thickness...whereas I just converted them to the early type (without the front fairings)... I'm not recommending this crazy surgery work to anyone. Fortunately, I'm solving all problems one after the other. I just ended scratchbuilding the new  cockpit panels and found a way to use the Aires main  LG bays. This will ask for some epoxy putty to be faired in as both planes had a different fuselage cross-section because the 27 had thicker tires than the BN. Finally, I'm also wondering about the accuracy of the BN exhaust ring. I will probably use it as such in spite of the fact it was probably corrugated with reinforcing slots. I'm still checking... 

Interesting remarks about the gear doors! I did not take care about it before. 

When the plane is flying with the landing gear out, the main door lower edge is horizontal. It looks the position is variable when the plane is parked or moving on the ground. As it is also more horinzontal when the pilot is strapped in, I guess this is probably caused by the hydraulic pressure. It goes down on a parked aircraft and because of the weight the door is pivoting on the axis with the front going down. Just an hypothesis but this looks quite logical to me.