Tamiya Birdcage Corsair

Durangokid

Thanks guys, I'm still feeling my way around with the oils

I like it! Was that done over clear coat of some kind? It looks fairly flat/matte.

I did a clear coat with MRP super clear to protect the paint from the salt weathering.  It was really glossy but not so much after the salt.

This has been really a really fun build to follow, and thanks for sharing! I'm just getting caught up, and love your work. Just one observation: did you confirm that the inner color of the cowl flaps was indeed a salmon color?

Cheers, Tom

Thanks for the nice comments Tom.  I think it is supposed to be a gray color not salmon.  I'm not sure why I thought it was salmon when I painted it... :oops:

I like the effect on the wings; I like the effect right behind the cowl flaps; one thing i see in photos on many Corsairs is what appears to be a very oily part of the fuselage right behind the cowl flaps. One of those areas of interest i have yet to master...

-d-

Me either!  :whistle:

Bryan,

The weathering looks spot-on! However, I have a few questions. By the sheen of the paint it seems pretty obvious you applied the oil to a flat coat surface, is that correct? Also, what type of thinner did you use to blend the oil in?

Thanks

Elmo

It was glossy but the salt weathering really toned it down.  The MRP paints are fairly glossy so you don't really need a gloss coat.

Really nice job!  I bet you are finding this to be one of the most fun parts of the build, because it allows you to make something a bit unique to other builds of this kit.  Keep it up and remember- don't overdo it!

Cheers,

Chuck

This is absolutely the hardest part for me.  I must have repainted the fuel stains 3 or 4 times because I would think its too much.  Then I would end up covering it up and start the process all over again.  I just haven't developed an eye for it yet but there is hope...Well maybe. :mellow:

I like the begeezez outa that!  No, I don't think it's too much.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark!

It was glossy but the salt weathering really toned it down.  The MRP paints are fairly glossy so you don't really need a gloss coat.

This is absolutely the hardest part for me.  I must have repainted the fuel stains 3 or 4 times because I would think its too much.  Then I would end up covering it up and start the process all over again.  I just haven't developed an eye for it yet but there is hope...Well maybe. :mellow:

I totally disagree, based upon the pics you have shown.  You HAVE developed an eye for it!  We are all our worst critics, so take it from me (and many other comments above), you are NAILING this weathering thing!  Every good and experienced modeler will repaint some areas 3-4 times, because they are not satisfied with the result as they seek perfection.  Perfection doesn't exist, of course, but your tenacity brings the paint job and model closer to it.  Some might call it "OCD", but that's what separates a good model from a great one.

One other thing I like about your painting is that it's smooth and natural looking.  I see you use MRP paints?

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3