Tamiya Birdcage Corsair

Durangokid

Hey guys, thanks for the comments.  I really do appreciate them and it really helps me gauge my progress.  For instance, the chipping.  I'm glad to see you guys think it's not too over the top.  I am going for the well worn PTO look but I don't want to kill it either.  You are so right David when you say knowing when to stop is the hard part, at least it is for me. 

So now for the mistakes...

First the big one:

6Cm9OA.jpg

Yes I forgot the outer wing panels are supposed to be blue.  Don't know how I missed that but at least it's fixable.  The only bad thing is the paint build up but I'm hoping I can minimize that.

The others are the walkways and non-skid areas.  I didn't plan ahead with these and I should have painted and masked those before I did anything.  That would have really worked well with the chipping affect.  Again not a huge deal but a little extra work will be involved.

Next up... weathering, my favorite part.  I've got a few tricks up my sleeve that I learned from previous builds and other modelers but I've never weathered a WWII PTO bird before.  A few new tricks will be in order.  Hopefully I won't screw them up!

Bryan

Thanks Bryan for the explanation. I can see the benefit. I normally scrape off the paint on the male part with a scalpel, but don't bother on the female part as styrene or CE glue does dissolve the paint and still gives an acceptable bond. But I will try your method when an opportunity arises. The only problem I have with masking liquids is that they try on the brush very quickly and making it difficult to clean the brush - and the shelf life of the stuff is short after opening the container.

I found your weathering on the engine very effective. Did you use a sponge to apply the darker grey weathering on the grey engine cover? Looks great.

But I share your sentiment on the wheel bay weathering. Ask yourself, how can the weathering and chipping occur on the real aircraft? The weathering with the various colour variations looks great, but the chipping I am not sure about.

Will this be a land or carrier based aircraft? If the latter, the chipping is maybe a bit overdone.

Cheers, Peter

Peter, 

I forgot to tell you that I use a toothpick to apply the Maskol.  I also had a problem with it drying and ruining the brush.  I flatten the toothpick on one end kinda in the shape of a flat paint brush.  I use that end for the big stuff and the pointed end for the more detailed parts.  It has worked perfectly for me and in fact, I have more control than using an actual brush.

Hope that helps you buddy...

Thanks as always guys...

Carl, the wing wear on your corsair looks fantastic.  That's pretty much what I was looking for.

Note to self:  Paint the walkways first!  Doing it this way was a pia...

TR2laM.jpg

q33xvy.jpg

uDhw3U.jpg

I wore off one of the black lines more than I wanted to but I think it came out okay.  They are a little dark but they should fade a bit with some weathering...Hopefully

I still can't decide what scheme I want to go with.  I really want to build the 8-ball with the decals that I got from David Hansen but it's not really configured correctly for that particular aircraft. Either way I want to build something that was well worn.  Decisions Decisions...

Bryan