1/8 scale Fokker Dr1

LSP_Ron

Thanks all,

Those are actually the intake pipes, I discolored them figuring the heat from the cylinders would burn any oil etc onto them but they would be cooler farther away from the heads.  The exhaust on these didn't have manifolds, it just poured out the valve exit. 

It's an amazing piece of engineering for the time period.

Looking nice Ron. I too, have one of these, and yours is the first time I've seen one even started. Good stuff.

Mike,

To have a model like this and not build it, :please: makes little sense to someone like me,whose not a kit collector, but rather just a old time builder of plastic bits & pieces.  

Joel

Thanks all,

Those are actually the intake pipes, I discolored them figuring the heat from the cylinders would burn any oil etc onto them but they would be cooler farther away from the heads.  The exhaust on these didn't have manifolds, it just poured out the valve exit. 

It's an amazing piece of engineering for the time period.

Ron, any thoughts of dis-colouring the cylinders as well ???

like this;  https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5542/11693052886_b27224b1d0_b.jpg

I tried it 1/48 with some thinned blue sprayed on and the cylinder tops masked off.

Cheers, Tony

No Tony,  everything is done now for paint on the engine and don't want to risk ruining it.

I finished the guns,  I think they would really scare their opponents!

7te6Hfj.jpg

I also managed to clean up the main fuse tubulars and get them primed and painted and the floor board varnished. Time to start assembling the fuse now.

mUOo1rN.jpg

dTLBQgk.jpg

IJEcC29.jpg

Lookin' good Ron! The parts are obviously easy to see so no working with a visor or magnifying lamp eh?

I'm surprised you didn't go with a natural metal tubular framing with heat discolouration at the weld points. A little bit o' clear blue and red over some burnt metal. Would o' looked real cool.

What did you paint the fuselage framework with? I believe the instructions say the fuselage frame parts are ABS plastic.

Did you find yourself some wire spoked wheels?

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks all,  I find the size of this a bit awkward to be honest.  Tricks with washes etc in 1/32 don't work that well in 1/8th.

That's a good idea Wolf but the general conciseness is that the fuse tubulars were a green grey not NM.  That's also consistent with WnW's Fokker D.VII

So I went with a Tamiya lacquer primer followed with MM RAF Interior green thinned with lacquer thinner.  That should bite into the ABS and stick.

No wheels yet but I have a lot of time to find or make.

Ron

I was just thinking about the tubular frame in NMF for visual interest.

If I recall correctly, I believe the heel plates on the cockpit floor were edged with wood strips. I don't know if that's a detail you're already aware of.

You know, the last time you picked up a model, the Tamiya Mossie, I couldn't help but start mine as well. I hope I stay focused on my Camel build and leave the Dr.1 kit alone, LOL! Wouldn't it be great if WNWs chose to do it in 1/32nd?

Cheers,

Wolf

And we both haven't finished the Mossie!  Wow

Yes the heel plates need some wood grain edges as do several other plastic bits.  They are not glued, I just popped them on the floor after spraying AS-12 for the pic. 

There are many fixes required for this kit. Like missing leading edge ply on the wings, missing ply turtle deck behind the cockpit,  missing lower front fuse sheet metal, missing sheet metal on the forward cockpit.....   I will attempt them all but....I'm not going to let this stall if I can't overcome how to address these issues.