Revell/ AIMS 1/32 Junkers Ju-188 E-1 Z6+DM II/KG66

monthebiff

So, I've spent much of the weekend wondering how I'm going to use the  Profimodeller Main Landing Gear update set.........do I fully open up the bays or just use the kit parts? To begin with here is a quick look at the etch supplied in this update set.

20170610-152511.jpg

Also I stumbled upon a few shots I took of the RAF Cosford Ju-88 at the model show in April.

20170402-131025-1.jpg

After looking at this I decided I wanted to open the bays fully up, but  only if I could bend the gear doors correctly as they are pretty large, thick pieces of brass sheet. With the bay doors cleaned up I then annealed them and spent a quite afternoon trying to get some suitably shaped pieces formed and glued together.

20170613-210411.jpg

20170613-210244.jpg

With some reasonable success with this I am definitely going to fully open up the MLG bays now, Another interesting thing I noticed looking at the Ju-88 bay shots is I thought these area's were painted RLM 02 but there are many different colours of metalwork going on in there with not a lot of flaking paint etc, Now I know its 70 odd years old but it looks like a lot of the metal work has been chemically treated rather than painted. I've no idea and if anyone has any idea's/ info on this I would be very interested.

20170402-131028.jpg

Really happy with progress in this area  and knowing what I am going to do with it now.

As ever, thanks for looking in. Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

When looking into the JU88 a while back for my Revell kit something that cropped up was the use of Anodised Aluminium, which is what that yellowy/Gold looking metal is in the wheelbays, looks like the inside of a Baked Bean Can. Most of the inner fuselage area in the tail is that colour, no idea if its the whole fuselage interior though. Mr paint make an Anodised Aluminium paint which I have bought but not used yet so cant say if it captures that Yellowy look. I think any paint in the gear bay should be RLM77 at least on the earlier Ju88 models, cant speak for later 188/288 variants. Might be more info in the Ju88 pinned topic in the works i progress forum here.

I do Nicholas but only poor phone pics.......however I am planning on going over there at some point this week to re-quaint myself and get some much better shots. If you PM me your email address I'll send them over once I've been over there.

Regards. Andy

PM sent sir.  Thank you.

Some work done on adding the PE to the wheel bays, still unsure on if I should open up the whole UC bays or not at the moment.

20170614_182629.jpg

20170614_182733.jpg

In all probability I am just going to add the actuators and leave it at that rather than get heavily bogged down adding detail and then loose interest in the whole project before I get to the fun bit of detailing the cockpit.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

Looking good.

You could always go back & spruce up the undercarriage once you've got the cockpit sorted?

Cutting the canopies is what scares me. 

Chopping about the whole fuselage scares me Dean but if it all goes well it will be worth it.

Regards. Andy

Looks good. I will have to get me a couple of these

A couple.......its a major piece of work to get just one over the line. Lots of work to do but well worth it.

Regards. Andy 

Started looking at the engine nacelles, first up I found you need to thin the moulded on exhaust stubs at there base to get a nice comfortable fit of the engine cowl.

20170615_191315.jpg

The engine face is pretty so I decided to compare it to the Eduard BMW engine I have for my Revell F-8 build.

20170615_203141.jpg

And a check to see if it will fit inside the cowl.

20170615_203125.jpg

Think it will probably squeeze in with some careful trimming, however not to much will be seen when everything is together, tempted but not sure yet?

20170615_203720.jpg

Thanks for looking in. Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff