Wingnut kit for beginner

Monty Python

The title is not exactly correct but as I have got a couple of Meng WWI Mk.V tanks, 1 male and 1 female, I thought about having a go at a wingnut kit to go with them. I have always loved the looks of the finished kits that are on show on this site but the thought of all the rigging has me running scared. So any advice on which would be the easiest RFC kit to start with would be greatly received.

I would say Fokker D.VII, but they are way too expensive since WNW sold out.

So a Junkers J.1 would be a good bet. Not cheap as it's a two seater, but no rigging! Otherwise, Roden's Dr.1 Triplane is cheaper and has minimal rigging.

Most of the German planes have less rigging than the Brit planes.  I would suggest the Phalz planes.  They don't have a lot of rigging such as the DIII.  Use EZ line and it won't be that bad.  If you can get the Junkers JI that has no significant rigging like stated above.  The new DVII is coming out soon and that will be reasonable.

Also I suspect you can build a number of variants from the DVII early that is coming out as they usually have extra fairings etc in the box so that kit is almost a must have if you think you ever want to build a DVII.  

The DVII is actually a challenging build though because the struts that support wings and landing gear are exceptionally fine and very fragile.  

Which of the WNW kits appeals the most to you? The Pup, Camel, or Snipe?

Here's an idea: Get the Pup. Straight forward build, lots of aspects to detail, should you choose, and if it goes out of production, you'll have one. The idea to get a cheapy Spad, or Camel from Hobby craft is no bad either. You might look at our T/B.

If you really want an WNW RFC kit, i would chose the Sopwith Pup. But that said, RFC planes are not the easiest if it comes to rigging, so i suggest, to start with a cheap kit and try your rigging capability on those like said in previous posts.

On the other hand, if you chose the right rigging technique, and you have lot's of patience, your half way the deal.

Ushi has a very nice video on Youtube, explaining his rigging technique, which i also took as an example when i started on my very first rigging experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGTPovCcg8

I hope you can make a choice which is best for yourself.

Greetz

Danny

I;d suggest the WNW Sopwith Triplane which has minimal rigging for an RFC aircraft, though not as minimal as its Fokker copy.

Don't let the quantity of wings put you off, its rigging is less complex than a Bristol M1 monoplane.

As has been mentioned, the Pup is a simple design, arguably more iconic, and by the time you've successfully attached two or three wires the remainder are largely just a matter of patience attrition. And it's not a race, so continue when ready.

Edited by Chek

DOnt be afraid of the rigging, it's really easy, at least easier than it looks like.

Just buy a roll of EZ line, some microtube if you want to make the turnbuckles, a good pair of tweezers, and it's child play.

THe first WNW i built was the Pup. It's a simple kit, with not too many parts and an easy fit. THe rigging is on the british side, i mean it's not 2 or 3 wires, you will have a lot to do, but believe me it'll be done in no more than 2 or 3 hours. Ok, maybe 4 hours because it's the first time.

If you're really afraid of rigging, you can try any of the Fokker D.VII kits, but they are way more difficult. There a 2 wires on each wing only.

Or the Junkers J.I, with no rigging at all. :)

I second this thought. I wouldn't recommend an expensive kit like WNW for a first model. Heck, I've got tons of WWI builds under my belt and even I think WNW are difficult to build!  I'd add the Academy Nieuport's and SPAD's to the cheap list of easy kits. 

Get a cheap WW1 kit, like the Camel by Academy or any of the ole Revell 1/28 kits and develop your rigging skills on one of these cheapies, usually under $20. 

Try different methods. Experiment.

Then go for the expensive WNW kits.

Stephen

I second this thought. I wouldn't recommend an expensive kit like WNW for a first model. Heck, I've got tons of WWI builds under my belt and even I think WNW are difficult to build!  I'd add the Academy Nieuport's and SPAD's to the cheap list of easy kits. 

Really?

The rigging can be tricky - especially the likes of Brit planes like the Fee & DH.2 - but difficult is not a word that springs to mind with WNW!

difficult is not a word that springs to mind with WNW!

Agreed, although a thorough understanding of the instructions helps greatly.

But you can be assured that (by my 58 years of pro. and am. experience) that there is no better base available to the home hobbyist to producing a superior model.

Guest The Southern Bandit

If you are looking to cut your teeth on a WNW, WW1 kit, their Junkers J.1 needs no rigging and is an excellent kit with no known vices build wise, if you go deeper into WW1, then rigging skills will come into it, but there is a first time for everyone and am looking down the barrel of a rigging build quite soon.

Yes, really. My experience building WNW is they are very tricky to build, have lots of "gotcha's" (fit of parts is very tight and frequently complex, screw one up and watch the errors cascade along, to name only one issue), and their strict adherence to scale thickness parts (to name only one) makes building for a beginner a challenge (I've broken at least one strut and sometimes more, on every WNW I've built). I would not recommend an expensive kit like that to a beginning modeler. Cut your teeth on a cheaper model(s) and then tackle a WNW kit if you're a newbie.  I am a former pro builder and paid modeling magazine writer so it's not like I don't have any experience in the modelling arena. Look at my models posted here, including my WWI builds. Yes, I can build them, but I'm not a beginner!

Really?

The rigging can be tricky - especially the likes of Brit planes like the Fee & DH.2 - but difficult is not a word that springs to mind with WNW!

Edited by modelingbob