Trumpeter 1:200 HMS Hood + Pontos Detail Set

Iain

Wow! This puts to rest my concerns about starting and finishing my Felixstowe before I am packed off to the nursing home. You know where the family discovers the sailing ship or giant WWI float plane that was worked on for years but is not quite done. So No one wants it or can sell it. The Felixstowe is a piece of cake in comparison. This kit is indeed a temptation (replaying Bill's thread about the B-17 in my head). I think I would build the Arizona however. A saw a very nice build in my LHS last week... And they have the kit.

An aside, I would review the thread about the use of Mr. Metal (clear) primer and other techniques for making all the PE stay in place after it is glued on. I used this on my latest project with very tiny parts and it did almost eliminate the no-stuckum problem.

Rick

You might need it Bill - and lots of patience  :)

Having spent a couple of evenings pouring over the contents of the Pontos set I'm feeling positive.

Whilst there are an awful lot of parts, there's nothing individually that I don't think I can do - and most of the etched parts are a reasonable size compared to their 1:350/1:600/1:700 brethren - so I have a theory that working in 1:200 may actually be easier, albeit more of a psychological marathon.

At the weekend I need to go through all the individual components and check they are all there.

Will also post some photos of the parts - or it didn't happen, right?  ;)

Have fun, and thanks for everyone's interest/input so far!

Iain

So, as I'm sure most of you guys got the email from Micro Mark Tools, I see the 1/200 Trumpy HMS Hood retails for $ 479.00 and Micro mark has it on for a mere $299.95 and the 'Super Detail' set retailing for $335.99 is on for $ 219.95.....which by my calculations is a $295.00 saving............... NOT that I could buy one, but for you guys who have not seen the email or are on the fence, this seems pretty good to me..... anyway, I, much like a lot of the guys are patiently waiting for the 'laying of the keel', and I will follow this phenomenal build, as it progresses......this is going to be really cool....

Cheers Ron - yes - bit of a special subject from my perspective :)

If anyone's interested in also having a go, Pontos have images of the parts and instructions online here

Iain

Nice choice of a build.

My mother's cousin was killed aboard the Hood. Boy First Class Eddie Holmes was only 17 years old. He lied about his age and joined the Royal Navy when he was only 15 years old.

Nice choice of a build.

My mother's cousin was killed aboard the Hood. Boy First Class Eddie Holmes was only 17 years old. He lied about his age and joined the Royal Navy when he was only 15 years old.

That's interesting,  who would of thought an Edmonton boy would have family connections to the Hood.

That's interesting,  who would of thought an Edmonton boy would have family connections to the Hood.

My parents are both Scottish, they immigrated from Scotland in the late 50's.

Although my dad was born in Edmonton, his dad was a miner who came here from Scotland to work in the mines. They didn't stay though, my fathers parents moved back to Scotland when he was still a baby.

My mother still talks about Eddie and a framed picture is in our homes.

lain,

My Pontos set arrived Wednesday, 3 days from Melborne, Australia to Liverpool, NY USA, can't ask better than that.

Its a great set, I believe there are some changes to the instructions (hinted to on the Modelwarships site) so may be worth downloading the PDFs from the Pontos Site

http://pontosmodel.com/html/23009f1.html

I believe its to do with the areas to be cleared off the deck on page 3.

Working on choosing the paint to use, Colourcoats AP 507B or Tamiya XF-66.

The Tamiya is close but not blue enough, just a touch darker, but much cheaper here in the USA. The Colourcoats are $5.55 a tin :(

I have 3 tins I got for my 1/350 HMS Hood but I doubt that will be enough.

Good Luck and hopefully major construction can continue soon, once my BAE Typhoon is done.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

You might need it Bill - and lots of patience  :)

Having spent a couple of evenings pouring over the contents of the Pontos set I'm feeling positive.

Whilst there are an awful lot of parts, there's nothing individually that I don't think I can do - and most of the etched parts are a reasonable size compared to their 1:350/1:600/1:700 brethren - so I have a theory that working in 1:200 may actually be easier, albeit more of a psychological marathon.

At the weekend I need to go through all the individual components and check they are all there.

Will also post some photos of the parts - or it didn't happen, right?  ;)

Have fun, and thanks for everyone's interest/input so far!

Iain

Hi Ian,

it's been a couple of weeks and no update yet! :frantic: 

I'm really looking forward to following along with this one and it looks like I'm not the only one. :popcorn: 

Hi Ian,

it's been a couple of weeks and no update yet! :frantic:

I'm really looking forward to following along with this one and it looks like I'm not the only one. :popcorn:

Yep, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Bit of a strange delay...

I want to capture some decent quality images as this comes together - maybe for a magazine article, or even a book if I can find an interested publisher - so I'm getting my head around getting decent photos of the full hull, which is far longer than anything else I've photographed model project wise.

My largest light cube is only 1 metre square!

Have also been looking into mounting the hull, as holes will have to be drilled and nuts bonded inside to suit. Was going to order some Pontos pedestals - but they are very expensive and I've been looking at alternatives.

I did, however, go buy a tub of polyester car body filler yesterday to fill the way-overdone hull plating. These areas will be filled to bring all areas up to one level - then masked and spray filler primer used to make the raised plating effect.

So, nothing concrete (or metal, or resin, or styrene) yet - but doesn't mean nothing happening at present...

I'd wanted to be structured and start with the hull and work up from there - but I might make a start on some of the details first - armament, ships boats etc. - will see.

Also need to get a couple of magazine builds (aircraft) off the decks.

Iain