Another Hasegawa T bolt Bubbletop, my first LSP. November 12, 2022, It is DONE at last!!!!!!!!

Citadelgrad

1 hour ago, Thunnus said:

Your Thunderbolt turned out GREAT, Bill!  All of the extra work you put into the details really shine through like the drop tank connections and canopy hardware.

Thanks, John, I really appreciate it. 

9 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Well done!

Thanks, Gazzas!

I got the pitot sorted last night, and the mechanical gunsight.  I forgot, I still need to attach the wheel covers, they fit so well they were just hanging in there.

Last piece on this one will be a small T handle on the canopy.  I could not find my reference photo last night so I skipped it for now. 

Today, off to Charleston for my 35th reunion. I will finish this and cobble together some photos for an RFI, my first, maybe next weekend.

Still need to pick a next one.  

• 2 weeks later...

With the addition of this little red T Handle on the canopy, and the attaching of the wheel covers…..

crpXdf.jpg

pardon fhe lint, its been removed. 

the entire canopy mechanism, worth it because its so visible 

xsxfCB.jpg

this one, my first LSP in forty years, is done.  I will submit a RFI thread when i get some photography issues ironed out. 

in the meantime, some phone shots. 
2PsFJY.jpg

jg98jr.jpg

nYz6Fi.jpg

tngeNX.jpg

i am a bit melancholy to put a bow on this.  I learned a lot and met some great folks who were tremendously helpful and generous.  

its nowhere near perfect but its far more than i was capable of at the beginning.  

Now i just need to select whatever is next. in the, ahem, YEARS I spent on this build i have gathered a stash.

Tamiya super kit?  HK Do335?   Meng 163?   A Revell 262 or 109?  PCM TA 152C?  ZM TA 152H0?

I am not sure whether to zig or zag, but I am anxious to start a new project and NOT spend years finishing it.   

Thanks to all for the info, the advice, the tips, and the encouragement.  

• Citadelgrad changed the title to Another Hasegawa T bolt Bubbletop, my first LSP. November 12, 2022, It is DONE at last!!!!!!!!

Beautiful work Bill!  I love the journey you've taken... I think it perfectly describes what I enjoy most about this hobby.  Looking forward to your next project!  You've got a lot of good choices there!  Personally, I'd avoid the Meng 163.  It's a cute little kit but Meng's decision to mold the clear part frames separately on the canopy as well as the side windows makes it unnecessarily difficult to get a good looking result. But who knows... maybe you could figure something out!

Congratulations on the end product and the rewarding journey of model making growth it took. The forum

support and interaction is very valuable. I was like a nobody but somehow convinced myself I could scratchbuild an LSP and darn it, I did! Thankfully, “Slow” is cool here. 

On 11/12/2022 at 9:42 PM, Dpgsbody55 said:

Looking forward to seeing the pics posted in your RFI post.  That's a very nice model, and the canopy mechanism is a nice touch.

:goodjob:

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks, Michael. Still working on getting some flattering photos, but stay tuned!

On 11/12/2022 at 10:20 PM, Thunnus said:

Beautiful work Bill!  I love the journey you've taken... I think it perfectly describes what I enjoy most about this hobby.  Looking forward to your next project!  You've got a lot of good choices there!  Personally, I'd avoid the Meng 163.  It's a cute little kit but Meng's decision to mold the clear part frames separately on the canopy as well as the side windows makes it unnecessarily difficult to get a good looking result. But who knows... maybe you could figure something out!

Hi, John. I did get a replacement canopy for the little 163, but I am not sure my mottling is up to snuff yet.  Still on the fence about the next build.  

On 11/12/2022 at 10:51 PM, MikeMaben said:

Yeeaaaay Bill , I can't understand why you would feel melancholy having finished this kit.

Definitely your Pièce de Résistance , I always find it refreshing to move on to the next project.

My recomendation would be one of the Tamiya super kits.

HI Mike, thank you for the encouragement throughout this build.  I am leaning toward maybe the F4U-1A, but I am having a little trouble sourcing paint.  

On 11/13/2022 at 4:12 AM, mc65 said:

Great result for a loooong journey, kudos!

after a so demanding work, maybe I would choose a neat Tamiya kit, even if the Revell 262 is a simple and nice kit...

Thanks mc, that's the way I am leaning.  I also have the HE 162, which seems like a simple build in construction and paint. 

On 11/13/2022 at 9:08 AM, TAG said:

Good on ya, Bill!

5u78MZz.jpg

Thanks, TAG, good enough for the Gunny, good enough for me. 

On 11/13/2022 at 9:16 AM, Jim Barry said:

Congratulations on the end product and the rewarding journey of model making growth it took. The forum

support and interaction is very valuable. I was like a nobody but somehow convinced myself I could scratchbuild an LSP and darn it, I did! Thankfully, “Slow” is cool here. 

Thanks, Jim.  I am following your builds with awe.  

1 hour ago, JayW said:

Yeah I have watched this one come together over the last year of so (maybe more?  My sense of elapsed time is terrible).  Congratulations on a very convincing looking big burly P-47.

February 26, 2017 was the day I started this thread....

2088 days...5.7 years.  Holy cow I am slow.