Hi Max;

Sorry to have cost you extra money there!  :doh: There is some very tempting subjects on the Combat Models website. I was quite tempted by the 1/24 P-51B, especially as I'm sure many components could be robbed from the Airfix or Trumpeter kit. 

Kev;

I just tried the Schiffer website which appeared to be down, but Amazon UK has copies of that book and also "The Master Scratch Builders" which is a hardback and expands on the paperback. I'm not sure if Schiffer actually puts their titles out of print. When I was the Aviation/Military book buyer for Midland Counties Publications (Ian Allan) I got catalogues from Schiffer every month and every title was always available, even the really old titles. I'm not sure if they do huge initial print runs or if they print on demand, but all of their titles were constantly available. Most publishers I dealt with put titles out of print or remaindered titles, but Schiffer were quite unique in that they never seemed to take this route.

"The Master Scratch Builders" hardback link...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Scratch-Builders-Techniques-Aircraft/dp/0764307959/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3D1Z0KR2W8T6GHKRHMV0

I don't know if you have this one already, but it's a lovely book.

Regards;

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

"The Master Scratch Builders" hardback link...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Scratch-Builders-Techniques-Aircraft/dp/0764307959/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3D1Z0KR2W8T6GHKRHMV0

I don't know if you have this one already, but it's a lovely book.

Regards;

Steve

I'm pretty sure this is the book that I've always understood to be a kind of sequel to the one I have. One particular review on the Amazon site caught my attention, and seems to confirm this:

A word of caution. One is best to obtain a copy of a companion book titled "Scratch Built!" as many references are made back to this book to avoid redundancy as stated "see SB" several times.

I've never actually seen this book in the flesh, so I guess if I want one, I'll have to order it from Amazon!

Kev

Hi Kev;

I don't think you will be disappointed, but as the Amazon review correctly states, it's best to have both titles sitting next to each other on the bookshelf. Just like Max's thread here, and those of Peter's and Tom's, I've found a lot of inspiration and useful techniques that mean I now much prefer scratch building my own details rather than building shake and bake kits. So much more rewarding and I really hope to build a model totally from scratch one day.

I may even build up the courage to post some photos here one day....I've been a member for long enough!

Regards;

Steve

I'm pretty sure this is the book that I've always understood to be a kind of sequel to the one I have. One particular review on the Amazon site caught my attention, and seems to confirm this:

I've never actually seen this book in the flesh, so I guess if I want one, I'll have to order it from Amazon!

Kev

Kev is right, the "Master Scratch builders" book is more of a coffee table compendium rather than an actual "how to", which is what the first book, "Scratchbuilt!" is. I have both, but need the replace the Scratchbuilt book as it is in an awful state from use.

I may even build up the courage to post some photos here one day....I've been a member for long enough!

Regards;

Steve

We'd love to see them, Steve! I went looking for the second book on eBay, but it's very expensive there, and especially here in Australia. The Amazon price was about the best I could find, but sadly, it'll have to wait.

Kev

So this was "progress" with my first attempt with the ribbing aft of the engines.  I filled in between the sprue with P38 but rather miscalculated with the amount of hardener, so it went off far too quickly.  I tried to make the best of it using some rat-tailed files but then got the wrong profile, i.e. too much fluting so the whole lot came off:

DSCN8788_zpsk26k5p92.jpg

For my next try I used Tom's plasticard plank method, it's very quick and simple and going quite well:

DSCN8789_zpsvheoll9v.jpg

DSCN8790_zpsujvnhtsl.jpg

....but of course the thin triangular strips don't quite butt next to each other, so a couple of coats of filler primer helped:

DSCN8791_zpsem3vp98i.jpg

.....and some (hopefully) judicious filler will finish the job.  In retrospect (isn't hindsight a wonderful thing) I should have done my trial run on the underside of the nacelle but you live and learn!  More soon..... :)

..and this is fun? Ha!

I'm just not seeing how the 2nd method would replicate that area on the Anson, Max...but I must not understand that technique or I've misinterpreted that area in the actual Anson, so I'll wait for you to work your stuff on the model!

Yep, know what you mean Shaka, that's why I'm so undecided and still not 100% satisfied that this is the way forward, it may all come off again!  The degree of fabric "sag" between ribs varies with reference pics so there is room for manoeuvre, but Yes, this is fun!! :)