1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless

DoogsATX

Excellent indeed! It appears that you've used some brass tubing to run the spark leads into, they look great. What size bit an tubing did you use? Many thanks. Chuck

Believe it was either 0.6 or 0.8mm.

Work continues! After taking Wednesday night off to do a quick video project, back at it last night. Got the pilot's harness squared away:

IMG_20160408_000140-X3.jpg

Wasn't entirely happy with the gunner's lap belts, even after the dollar fabric, so I cut up a few more strips and combined them with some Eduard PE lapbelts, using mostly the PE hardware and the dollar strips as the fabric. 

IMG_20160408_082524-X3.jpg

IMG_20160408_082618-X3.jpg

Also got a very gentle start on weathering up the R-1820. So far using Ammo and AK stuff (engine wash, kerosene stains, fuel stains):

IMG_20160408_082742-X3.jpg

In the process of weathering the R-1820, including a nice gasket leak!

SBD-5%20Dauntless%20041016-2-X3.jpg

A quick look at the Wright radial inside the cowl:

SBD-5%20Dauntless%20041016-4-X3.jpg

Back of the firewall, the cockpit is starting to come together. Looking forward to weathering it up!

SBD-5%20Dauntless%20041016-5-X3.jpg

Edited by DoogsATX

Beautiful work as always Matt :)

Using a dollar bill for the webbing on the seatbelts? What an outstanding idea! I learn something new every day ;) Hopefully I still have some lying around the house.... Our plastic Aussie money isn't any good for that....

Quick question about the chipping.... Whenever I've sprayed chipping fluid on the base layer it always seems to bead up, so I'm not sure if I've covered everything properly. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers,

Craig

More slow progress - last night turned out to be warm, humid, and the first great bug attack of the year so I spent most of the night distracted and swatting at moths and crane flies. Grr.

Anywho, the cockpit continues to come together. 

IMG_20160412_010322-X3.jpg

IMG_20160412_005756-X3.jpg

IMG_20160412_005811-X3.jpg

The real heartbreaking thing with the Dauntless is that, thanks to the shape of its fuselage, so much of the wonderful cockpit detail is completely hidden from view. It would be even worse if I were going with the pilot's map tray extended, but I've sliced that part down to pose it closed instead. 

IMG_20160411_011032-X3.jpg

Quick question about the chipping.... Whenever I've sprayed chipping fluid on the base layer it always seems to bead up, so I'm not sure if I've covered everything properly. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers,

Craig

I add some surface tension breaker I snagged at an art supply store - keeps it from beading!

More progress last night - getting closer to being able to close up the fuselage. The big thing standing in my way is the PE back brace for the turret seat. I will admit I've been procrastinating there. Time to stop that. 

Up front - I finally unmasked the instrument panel and added the gauges to the backside last night. Still not thrilled with how Trumpy engineered things here (clear part where you have to mask off each face), but damn do acetate gauges look great. 

IMG_20160413_013526-X2.jpg