1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless

DoogsATX

Super PE work.  I'm always more than a little intimidated at the really small detail work (like the actuators you showed here), but the flap detail I bet will look amazing once painted and on the plane.  The bomb rack is impressive too. Can't wait to see the next update!

And yes, even though it's not "functionally" accurate, I'm planning on posing the brakes extended in all their glory. 

Some years back I did an AccuMini Dauntless and only extended the lower brakes. Eh. It stole the build of a lot of potential visual impact. Not going to let all this PE work go to waste this time out.

The PE work looks great, Matt! FYI - wiping a solder join with a damp cloth or sponge (while the parts are still hot) removes a lot of the soldering slag, leaving a nice clean joint.

Good to know! Though I've gone back to CA for these - worried about the heat doing bad things to the epoxy holding the main brake surfaces together...

More PE. Light's at the end of the tunnel now, but I still have a ways to go. Got the lower brakes epoxied and stuffed under glass and bricks, and then moved on to dealing with this bit of fun.

IMG_20160607_011325-X3.jpg

Removing the hump from the plastic. 

This is a PITA. I don't really see any better way around it. And it's not necessarily difficult. It's just...a PITA. 

So...lay out a sheet of sandpaper, and start dragging the flap across it over and over and over and over until the  surrounding plastic is literally worn away. Then mild cleanup and glue it in place. 

IMG_20160607_011250-X3.jpg

Test-fit with the stock actuators. I'm still not sure if I want to take on the PE-and-rod replacement. 

IMG_20160607_011142-X3.jpg

IMG_20160607_011228-X3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Getting closer and closer to paint. 

First up, getting the Master .50 barrels sorted out. These will (sadly) be almost invisible, but I had them on hand and the muzzle (only part that will show) looks really nice.

LrMobile1406-2016-1100753827201858373.jp

Also got the PE (mostly) done. Still have a bit more to do on that central brake housing. I have come to hate that thing - added weeks to the build with negligible visual impact. Definitely doesn't cross the Impact vs. Effort threshold in my book. But I love the brakes themselves.

LrMobile1406-2016-0143709694779822077-X3

LrMobile1406-2016-0130709621920818622-X3

I had to prime some things last night, so while I had the airbrush out I decided to prime some more things.

Oh, and I've installed the main gear legs since 1) the actuators for the center dive brake need some protection and 2) the legs and gearbays will be white anyway, so why not?

LrMobile1506-2016-0127760765573526697-X3

LrMobile1506-2016-0154760852317693516-X3

LrMobile1506-2016-0144761022199931845-X3

Work will move on to some details and the IP coaming/gun cover tonight. After that gets sorted and the wingroots get some love, it should be time to hide this sucker away for paintwork. 

Getting there. Still have a few elements to sort out on the fuselage before I can get this puppy primed up. After that, it'll be going dark for the painting.

LRM_20160619_013358-X3.jpg

LRM_20160619_013252-X3.jpg

Dive brakes were pre-primed with Gunze Mr. Metal Primer, which should, fingers crossed, keep any lifting to a minimum.

Great progress Matt!

That Gunze Mr Metal Primer is great stuff, I don't think you will have any lifting issues (famous last words lol). I have used it a lot and had no problems.

Looking forward to seeing another one of your amazing paint jobs

Cheers

Anthony

I'm to that stage in the Dauntless where priming always seems just two or three days away, and then I always find more things that need attention.

The latest example? The gun camera window on the port wing.

Manufacturers seem to stuff these up more often than not, and Trumpeter's no exception here. Alignment is slightly off and the edges appear to be very slightly short shot at the join. Into this mess is supposed to go a small square of clear plastic.

Yeah, no.

LRM_20160621_223221-Edit-X3.jpg

Instead, after adding a bit of paint and a bit of detail (colored the back panel with a black sharpie, glued in a clear circle left over from my Sea King to represent a camera lens), I turned to Bondic.

As a test, I first tried Bondic's filling abilities on an old Fw 190 I use as a paint mule. It "flows" like thick CA, but doesn't cure until you hit it with UV light, so it's plenty workable. And it can be sanded. 

LRM_20160621_223206-Edit-X3.jpg

It worked a treat on the 190, so on to the Dauntless!

IMG_20160621_225233-X3.jpg

Cured perfectly clear!

I see a lot of uses for this stuff in the future. Maybe not for main construction, but for filling in lenses, for securing canopies that need more hold than white glue (the stacked canopies of the Dauntless for example!)...lots of possibilities to explore.

Guest Clunkmeister

Matt, You're nailing this one to the wall. Awesome job!

I love the tri color camo.. wow!

I have the same kit in my stash, and it talks to me every now and then as well.  But the Army version just talks louder, and some of the Aleutian birds even have great nose art as well. ;)

How'd you like the Eduard set?  I've heard both good and bad on it.

Looking forward to seeing this one done.