Hobbycraft Mustang Operation Torch

Theo

Mm, What to say about this kit? They cut all things off the sprues, not needing for this kit, so no goodies you can save, looked at rest of kit, very basic.

I don't say you can't make a good model of this, but it's not worth my time or effort, I expect more then this. really, Even Revell does a lot better.

Gosh, I never ever buy one from them, they suck

Well, it's no shake n bake, but build able despite it's warts.  If you want to add an Allison pony to your stable, it's the only game in town.  Just depends how bad you want it. I've heard more good then bad about it.  It certainly filled a void that existed for such a long time.  The only physical flaw that stands out to my eye is the outer wing tips.  They should sweep back a tad more.  They look a bit squarish.  I have one in the stash, but a bit intimidated by it.

What Ironman said.  Check out his build as he deals with all it's quirks to give you an idea what you're in for.  He makes it look fairly easy.  Some basic skills is all that is necessary following his build as a guide.  Oh yea and some extra $$ for aftermarket tidd bits.

Best regards

Patrick

Mm, What to say about this kit? They cut all things off the sprues, not needing for this kit, so no goodies you can save, looked at rest of kit, very basic.

I don't say you can't make a good model of this, but it's not worth my time or effort, I expect more then this. really, Even Revell does a lot better.

Gosh, I never ever buy one from them, they suck

Well, well, .....you ARE disappointed,......aren't you ?

As said above by others, this kit, and its bretherns, are ofcourse no Tamiya or even Revell quality (but that's in the eye of the beholder i reccon) but first of all the only game in town for now, but together with some nice AM products this kit can be a looker.

It WILL take some TLC to do it, but hey, that's all what building and modelling is about, isn't it?

Jack.

I fondled mine a few weeks ago, as i was about to start it. I unsprued a few major parts, it looks very good in my opinion. That's no Tamiya, but the fit looks quite good and the surface detail as well. It just need a good resin cockpit and a few small detail bits and i'm sure it can be a very good looking model.

Its my next build, the 20mm cannon job- I wanted the RAF Tac R version, but couldnt find one, so am going to have to 'adjust' the Operation Torch version by scratch building a camera and somehow coming up with the rear window with the teardrop shaped hole in it (with my cack handedness, I can see that ending in tears!), so I hear you about them removing all the stuff not required for the specific example on the box- dont know why they bothered doing that. Never the less, Im optimistic of turning out something acceptable. I will be getting aftermarket wheels- probably Grey Matters, and some of their exhaust stubs too- both weak on the kit. Also, thinking of getting the Master brass barrels with the external springs meant for the Hurricane IIc.

I had ideas about getting the Vector cockpit upgrade, but its so expensive (£42), even though it is lovely, that Im probably going to have to do without...

Anyway, as has been said, its the only 1/32 Allison Mustang available, and the overall shape is very good so Im going with it. Wish me luck.

Hi,

Personally I like the kit. For the wheels, the True Detail ones are cheap. The so-called Aires P-51B wheel well is in fact an Allison P-51 well. It can be used and don't bother it there is a seam near the plane center line as the main doors were normally closed on the ground. So, it won't be visible.

If you are brave, I also recommend replacing the spinner with a modified P-51D one (Greymatter) as the kit one is too skinny and too pointy. Note this also asks for changing the very front end of the nose (+/- 3mm). Not really difficult but time-consuming with CA glue and plastic strip. Do a search in this forum, I published recently a picture of the correction.

Hth

Thierry

I have three of these in the stash; P-51, P-51A and the A-36. As others have said, they are pretty basic but there are upgrades out there and with decent references and a bit of time and effort, they build up into great looking models, check out the WIPs on here, I just wish I had the time to crack on with mine, ah, well, one day, one day.

I have three as well; Air Commando, P-51A, and A-36. These are really nice, but very basic kits. The A-36 has ALL the goodies including a Vector cockpit, exhausts, wheels, and the Zotz decals.

I need to source a resin P-51D spinner, wheel wells, and then we be off to the races..

I may have Hasegawa P-51D parts that you could have, Ernst, I'll need to check.

Everyone does things different. While I used the Aires wheel bay I didn't use the Aires Mounting holes for the landing gear. There is a minimal space to fill between the Aires part and the kits sockets for the gear. I found it easy to install doing it that way. But every one has there own way of doing things. Hope this may be of help to someone.

Mike Horina