Kitty Hawk Models T-28 B/D Trojan *FINISHED*

Out2gtcha

Thanks guys

Brian

Fantastic progress and some mighty nice tinkering to solve the hub issue. I'm blown away with the canopy fit and absolutely agree it's one of the best Ive. seen. I've never been a Future fan for the canopies instead polishing with the 3 part Novus system. I have to admit, you front wing screen look as clear as they get.

Keep 'em coming

peter

Peter, totally agree on the Future thing.............although canopies are really the only place i use it. I use the Nova heavy and fine scratch remover as well as their cleaner/polisher solution.  

They work outstanding, and make the canopies every bit as clear (almost) as Future does..................the only real reason I use Future at all, is I have found that attaching canopies with the super duper thin CA works BY FAR the best for me, as its easy, and takes all of about 5 seconds for capillary action to wick the thin CA around and hold down the canopy.................If the Nova polish could prevent the attachment of CA fumes as well, Id probably switch to the NOVA polish alone, and forgo Future for canopies, as I have done with it for an overall clear. 

All of this past weekend was spent re-scribing, re-riveting, and masking.................................the last one I actually like but the first two...........YUK!   But its now all done, and so I masked things up, sprayed some flat black on the prop and a first layer of black for the inside of the canopy and windscreen.

I glued the windscreen on (which again fit PERFECTLY), then finished the masking process and got ready to spray the black:

2016-04-30%2013.21.05.jpg

2016-04-30%2013.21.44.jpg

Then, I shot on some MM enamel flat black, and once that cured, I was ready for some primer! 

2016-04-30%2016.03.35.jpg

2016-04-30%2016.03.57.jpg

2016-04-30%2016.04.05.jpg

I have a LOT of time off coming up, as I need to use up 136.5 hours of PTO before June 8th, and I am on call every other week, so that limits what I can do.  But  I DO have next week Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday off, then May 13th through the 20th, then I also have May 27th through June 3rd off as well, so I will have LOTS of time to not only finish this one up, but also time to hopefully start something for myself

Cheers and thanks again for looking in on me

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Right with you regarding scribing and riveting; masking is a pure joy compared to them. The T-28 is looking good and glad you've reached the fun part of a build: painting and decaling after that.

WOW, that sure is a ton of PTO and hopefully, you'll have all the tie at the bench you want.

After the T-28, if it's going to be a build for yourself; what's your preference?

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Got a few coats of Tamiya Fine white surface primer on..............

2016-05-02%2012.13.54.jpg

2016-05-02%2012.13.03.jpg

I also got the two clear wing light covers on as well prior to laying down paint:

2016-05-02%2010.52.29.jpg

After letting the Tam Fine white cure, I took some NOVUS plastic polish, and a soft cloth, then some cleaner to the primer, and it REALLY brought it alive, and make the primer super smooth:

2016-05-02%2012.13.54.jpg

2016-05-02%2011.32.59.jpg

Yesterday, I also got a VERY nice package from Ernie @ G-Factor models. I wont use these on this T-28, but I will definitely use them when it comes time to build my own T-28:

2016-05-02%2015.34.48.jpg

Cheers for now!

I won

Brian Any other landing gear? Like a

OV -10s

Funny, as Ernie DID drop me a note in with the T-28 gear...................no word yet on any tail beaching gear for the OS2U, but Ernie DID say that the OV-10 gear were some of the most complex and hardest to design, but he was hoping to have them done in a month. 

Great work on this one with the White Primer Brian!  Sounds like a great way to circumvent the coverage problems most white paint has

Matt  :frantic:

Thanks Matt. Indeed id DID turn just that way too.............finally got both the white AND red on...........

Got the white on, and this is after just a SINGLE coat and some touchups.............the white base really provided some good color saturation for the white paint:

2016-05-05%2015.57.08.jpg

2016-05-05%2015.58.09.jpg

Red in process.................this is also MM enamel as is the rest of the paint here, as the MM gloss paint goes on baby bottom smooth, and when dry really stands out:

2016-05-05%2022.14.27.jpg

2016-05-05%2022.14.44.jpg

2016-05-05%2023.10.30.jpg

With my crappy smart-phone camera, and some odd lighting, you cant really pick up on all the orange in the Model Master "Chevrolet Engine Red" but the color does seem a spot on match to me for the USN trainer red. The gloss colors came out wonderful, and I wont even be needing a gloss coat for the decals either. Not to terrible, as all I will need to do is make some very minor touchups to the red and I should be GTG:

2016-05-06%2016.59.09.jpg

2016-05-06%2016.59.39.jpg

2016-05-06%2016.59.52.jpg

2016-05-06%2017.00.23.jpg

I think I got the white surrounds for the stars and bars a bit big, but that only means a bit more of a white space around the white on the decals, so hopefully it wont look too horrible. Now its time to mask up and get the black sections shot!

Cheers