Kitty Hawk Models T-28 B/D Trojan *FINISHED*

Out2gtcha

Looks great, Brian! It looks like everybody is doing this scheme so far.

Kev

I was thinking the same thing when I saw Herr Clunks, and Dirks, but this scheme was specifically requested by Glen.

Although I DO like it, I will be doing an all yellow w/green striped trainer from TX when I get around to doing my own Trojan.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Brian, my question is this:

I used the FS numbered Day Glow trainer orange as was often seen on the Navy Buckeye jet trainers.  Everyone else seems to be using red.

I just assumed the instructions had the incorrect color call outs....

Did I goof?

Yours look fantabulous, by the way.

I dont think so Herr Clunk....................I think it is all in the eye of the beholder!  I did some research and decided that most of the USN red/white schemes I saw (including some of the T-45s) all had what looked like a vivid red to me with a ton of orange in it.

After reading some internet reviews of people who were building this scheme on a variety of models including some smaller scale T-28s, a LOT of them seemed to use the Model Master color "Chevrolet Engine Red" for this.

Oddly enough, OTHER places I read about called this same color found on Chevy engine blocks to be called "Chevrolet Engine Orange".   It seemed to me that it was a red with a lot of orange in it, or an orange with a lot of red in it, so it sounded perfect and I went with it.  :lol: 

MM flat black enamel in process................and I was very surprised to see that KHM did not supply the black side exhaust panels in decal form. But I guess I was also surprised to see that they also did not include IM weighted wheels on the T-28 similar to the way they did their OS2U.............but I digress:

2016-05-07%2018.51.04.jpg

2016-05-07%2018.51.22.jpg

I deviated a bit from the norm here, and that I am more trying to stick to the version of 153 seen on the cover of the box, VS the 153 seen on the instructions. The differences are subtle, but two things here should be noted:

1 - The fuse exhaust stripes I masked off were by hand, and differ slightly in shape from the cover art, as well as the instructions, but for 153, ironically enough because of the dihedral in the wings prevents one from seeing what the back upper side of the stripes look like on the box as well as the instructions.................so I just guessed. From the pic of the OTHER T-28 on the box art cover, I think these were probably applied in all varying shapes it seems. 

2 - One of the other differences I can pic out from the box are cover, is the little black ring around the cowl that no one else seems to have put in, including the guy who drew this scheme on the KHM instruction sheet.

Basically I included the nose/cowl stripe on mine, as I thought it was cool looking, and really set the red off in that area having the black cowl opening. 

Overall, the white, red, and black all turned out quite nicely, and the little T-28 is shaping up to be a VERY colorful model indeed, and the decals are not even on yet! :lol:

2016-05-07%2022.49.51.jpg

2016-05-07%2022.50.02.jpg

2016-05-07%2022.50.15.jpg

2016-05-07%2022.50.43.jpg

2016-05-07%2022.51.14.jpg

Shes becoming a real looker.......................and should really grab some attention on the display tables:

2016-05-07%2023.54.16.jpg

2016-05-07%2023.53.41.jpg

All for  now gents. I have started the decaling stage (no pics quite yet of that) and it has been going unnervingly well....................I normally have ALL SORTS of issues with KHM decals, as they are infamous for being quite thin, but not letting you have a lot of time to maneuver them, as ones even a BIT dry they stuck right where they were.

For the T-28, the decals are acting quite different................they remain very thin with minimal carrier, but now as long as I kept them wet, they really did NOT tend to want to fold over on themselves as much, and I had plenty of time to adjust them and get them in the right position as long as they remained wet.

I have another 10 days off (YAY!) starting this Friday 5/13 going through Monday 5/20, so Im hoping to completely knock this one out, and be able to maybe even start my OWN project.   Stay tuned! 

All for now, cheers!

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Spectacular paint work and some mighty nice masking too boot. Awesome work

Keep 'em coming

and if I missed it; what is your next project

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Peter, Ernie thanks buds!   Ernie, leaving the gearbox off was a happy accident..................I apparently glued it on a bit cockeyed, and tried to remove it, and fortunately it just popped right off, then I left it off to ease painting.

The exhaust ramps were actually thought of ahead of time, as I have special surprise for those!  I figured it would be easier to foil them, VS having to mask and paint for a super small section like that.

I wanted to leave my own personal "mark" on this one anyway, so Ill bust out my magical mystical colored foil box, and get some burned/dark/titanium type stained pieces for the exhaust ramps.  

...............and if I missed it; what is your next project

Thanks Peter........................

This is the last commission project for a while, as even though its still more than a year off, I need to start some project (s) of my own to prep for the 2017 US NATs.

My plan is to enter 1/32nd prop (my WnW DH-2) 1/32nd Jet (my Trumpy SU-30) 1/32nd diorama (soon to be built Me-163 dio w/Schlepper) and finally 1/32nd rotor wing.......................which leads me to my likely next project:

Wessex HU5C XS517, 84 Squadron, Akrotiri, Cyprus1985

xs517.jpg

Fantastic masking and paintwork, bet it was great peeling off the masking.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.............you have no idea. :lol:  I really enjoy masking for some odd reason, and pulling it off is INDEED very satisfying for sure. 

I'll be there as well, Brian. Working on a Felix, and have been for awhile, and I plan on using some of the fabulous Pheon decals to be just a bit different. The PE from Pheon is being used where it makes sense.

I got a feeling you're gonna kick my a$$, Brian.

Cool, would  love to see the Felix there!

I seriously doubt there will be any ass kicking on my part, but I figure if I "sew my seed" in as many places as I can (IE 32nd prop, jet, diorama and rotor wing) I might have a better chance of walking away with something.

With the competition from all over the globe, we BOTH might get our arses handed to us! :lol:    NBD to me, I just like entering and have no qualms, issues or problem with loosing to a better model, and really NP with even loosing to a worse model, since the judging we all know, is done by humans. 

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Quite an impressive list of completed kits for the Nats and the "to do list" is just as impressive. Looking forward to the Wessex ... what a change of pace. Sure looks like Oliver is going to be happy

Peter

Edited by Peterpools