Review: Robin Koh 1/32 de Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk

LSP_Kevin

By the way, i forgot to say how impressed i was by the clear resin canopy.... The clear parts looks even better than the best injected plastic clear parts. Very impressive. I dont know who is the caster, but he definitely rules the game for clear resin...

Hi Zero77,thanks for your nice comments, I did everything from start to finish by myself, I believe one the best way to enjoy the hobby is to hand craft your model!

Cheers

Robin

Hi Zero77,thanks for your nice comments, I did everything from start to finish by myself, I believe one the best way to enjoy the hobby is to hand craft your model!

Cheers

Robin

Congratulations !

Many very professional casters have given up making clear resin, or even clear vacuformed because of the numerous production issues on whatever is transparent, and so need to be flawless.

Yours are clear like water.

Robin:  I have a 3 view drawing of the Chipmunk although the canopy shown is not quite right, and some good side view photos showing the canopy curvature and tech drawings of the front and rear instrument panels.

If you would like to receive these, just email me with your snail mail address and I'll forward them to you.

Barneydhc82@hotmail .com.

For all you North American Chipmunk lovers, the drawings and  photos from my collection are in the mail to Robin and hopefully he will be able to produce a good Canadian built Chipmunk model..  Unfortunately I was not able to obtain photos of the exhaust system but I am working on it.

Barney.

I've flown lots of hours in the Chipmunk as well as instructed on them and except for that engine, it is a delight to fly.  I also spent nearly 3 years wrenching the  thing and  the engine was its weakest point..  Hopefully the info that I sent will be of use in seeing a 1:32 model.

Barney  http://www.barneysairforce.com

as well as the canopy difference, the windscreen of the Canadian Chipmunk is quite different.  The ultimate reference for any Chippie enthusiast is 'DHC-1 Chipmunk, the poor man's Spitfire'  by Shields, Brown, Blievers, and Goncalves.  ISBN 978-0-9812544-0-1.    Rod Blievers also hangs out a Britmodeler too.

HTH,  Tony

• 1 month later...

Hi Robin,

I hope your hand is healing well. I'm another one quietly anticipating your next Chipmunk :) Going through my photos, I found one that illustrates some of the differences of the Canadian Chipmunks.

DHC1%20ho%20YZZ%20Aug%2093.jpg

- the slightly different shaped engine intake
- an extra scoop near the bottom of the cowl (5 o'clock position in the photo)
- no holes in the cowling side panel for priming

- un-fared gear legs (though fared ones have appeared on Canadian machines post military)
- there is another fuselage scoop (just peeking under the prop on the left of the photo) that was on late production Canadian Chipmunks
- different view of the bubble canopy and windscreen
Not shown:
- no anti-spin strakes
- different location of wing tip nav lights

HTH along with the plans Barney sent.

Regards,

Gary

• 3 years later...
26 minutes ago, JanLou said:

I am trying to get hold of Robin to buy one without success?

As far as I'm aware, Robin only ever made this one kit that I reviewed. Shortly afterwards, he badly injured his hand (or it could have been his wrist), and had to stop all work. I believe he's fully healed up now, but I'm not aware of his ever resuming kit production, or in fact returning to modelling at all. I wish I had better (or even some) news, but that's all I really know. I'll try to contact him myself and see what's up. You have reminded me, however, that I really should pull this kit out and build it!

Kev

6 hours ago, mozart said:

How I’d love one of these, memories of Air Training Corps (2385 sqdn) days in the mid-1960s flying from Filton and St Athan! 

One of the aircraft on Robins decal sheet was a 3 AEF one from Filton... 

Good news! I've just spoken with Robin, and he's just coming out the other side of a number of personal and health issues, but is OK. He's also completely remastered the Chipmunk kit, and plans to produce both British and Canadian versions, accommodating for the various differences. The canopies will be in clear resin, and Robin sent me some of photos to illustrate:

267638435_IMG_20190816_090003copy.thumb.jpg.7fe090baf36ce1f73aa9a08b4c6c96ab.jpg

1059990413_IMG_20190816_085941copy.thumb.jpg.ecfab56ea84b9907636aa6c8556b7ea6.jpg

1734978197_IMG_20190816_085959copy.thumb.jpg.5a6f1a7d5d5b82fa29548a4cc5b698eb.jpg

1229755335_IMG_20190816_085929copy.thumb.jpg.e240dcbd58ea37d28d89c35319bb9281.jpg

50501614_IMG_20190816_085935copy.thumb.jpg.67a8f97c4f2e78ecf2773c8c6257a810.jpg

At this stage, Robin thinks the kits will be ready some time later this year. He also noted that the one I have (and the subject of the review posted in this thread) is the only one ever produced from the original moulds, so it's a bit unique! I'm still gonna build it, though.

Kev