Lets help LSP Kevin out to get a new computer.

ericg

Kev,

Why don't you tell us what you need and we should be able to do it for you.

Eric.

27" iMac with all the bells and whistles.

Yep! And tweaked to my required specs pushes it to almost $4k here - unbelievable! Turns out to be exactly the same computer I'm typing on at work right now (shhh...). I'm embarrassed to confess exactly how much has been donated so far, but suffice to say that we're already more than 3/4 of the way there, and I'm pretty sure I can make up the rest through other means if necessary.

Kev

Yep! And tweaked to my required specs pushes it to almost $4k here - unbelievable! Turns out to be exactly the same computer I'm typing on at work right now (shhh...). I'm embarrassed to confess exactly how much has been donated so far, but suffice to say that we're already more than 3/4 of the way there, and I'm pretty sure I can make up the rest through other means if necessary.

Kev

That's truly excellent to know, Kev, it really is. Whenever I think about "the man behind the scenes", I know it's you, and this place doesn't operate so well by pure coincidence and good will, so whatever the members choose to send your way, is a testimony to all that you do here, which can otherwise probably seem like a thankless position.

Now there's a loaded question! The answer is technically 'yes' given that the computer I've set my sights on, which unfortunately costs ridiculously more money here in Australia than it does in the US. However, at no point did I ever expect you guys to collectively buy me a new computer, and I fully realise that this amazing and overwhelming outpouring of generosity and support will run its course soon. At that point, I will make up any shortfall through other means. But I'm actually pretty close, which really blows me away.

That's just a long-winded way of saying that I could still use a bit more money if you are willing to donate to the cause, but I in no way expect it, and am grateful not only for every cent donated so far, but also all the supportive comments and encouragement. I guess we really should put a deadline on this, so it doesn't drag out forever, and starts to look (or even become) a bit self-serving.

In other news, the Apple repair technician currently has my broken unit on his desk, and hopefully I'll get a report from him shortly.

Kev

Kev, I've heard from a usually reliable source that because of customs and other duties and taxes in Australia, it's cheaper for an Australian to pay for an return airline ticket to LA to buy Adobe's Creative Suite 6, than to attempt to buy the program from a local supplier. Just out of curiosity, how much (in Aus dollars) does a new MacBook Pro cost "down under". As I understand it, the Canadian dollar is very close to Par to the Aust. dollar right now. Would be interesting to know just how much it costs to have Christmas in the middle of summer.  ;)

SORRY, WAS WRITING THIS AS YOU WERE POSTING THE ANSWER TO THE LADS ABOVE. 

Edited by Norm In Toronto

Kev, I've heard from an unusually reliable source that because of customs and other duties and taxes in Australia, it's cheaper for an Australian to pay for an return airline ticket to LA to buy Adobe's Creative Suite 6, than to attempt to buy the program from a local supplier. Just out of curiosity, how much (in Aus dollars) does a new MacBook Pro cost "down under". As I understand it, the Canadian dollar is very close to Par to the Aust. dollar right now. Would be interesting to know just how much it costs to have Christmas in the middle of summer.  ;)

Norm, I haven't done any comparisons with the MacBook Pro, but looking specifically at the iMac that I'm shooting for (27" retina, 16GB RAM, i7 CPU), it costs US$2499 according to the Apple US website. The same machine, with the same upgrades applied, is AU$3899 on the Apple Australia website. Based on the current exchange rate listed on XE.com, that translates to US$2,695, which actually isn't quite as huge a difference as I thought initially, but it's still $200 more here than in the US, for exactly the same thing.

The upshot is, the figure I'm shooting for is US$2,695, translating to AU$3899!

Kev

Hey Kev, sorry to hear about your computer.

When my Macbook Pro crashed last year, I took it to the Apple Genius Bar and was relieved to see them recover all my data from my  crashed HD.  I had them replace the damaged drive with a 1TB SSD.

So maybe there is still hope for your machine.

Oh, BTW, my contribution should be there by now.

Good luck.

"27 inch Retina Display" - Swoooooon!

I've got the 27 inch Thunderbolt display to provide more screen real estate for my MacBook Pro, but it's not a Retina Display. I've drooled over one at the local Apple Store, but that monitor is only available with that specific IMac as it requires a high powered video board that is only available on the new IMac. 

I'm only a little envious.   :clap2:

Hey Kev, sorry to hear about your computer.

When my Macbook Pro crashed last year, I took it to the Apple Genius Bar and was relieved to see them recover all my data from my  crashed HD.  I had them replace the damaged drive with a 1TB SSD.

So maybe there is still hope for your machine.

Oh, BTW, my contribution should be there by now.

Good luck.

Thanks, Howard - I really appreciate your support, mate. If I can get the old machine running cheaply again, I'll do it, but its time is up as my main machine. It's long out of warranty, and I'm not sure I could trust it anymore.

Kev

"27 inch Retina Display" - Swoooooon!

I've got the 27 inch Thunderbolt display to provide more screen real estate for my MacBook Pro, but it's not a Retina Display. I've drooled over one at the local Apple Store, but that monitor is only available with that specific IMac as it requires a high powered video board that is only available on the new IMac. 

I'm only a little envious.   :clap2:

It is indeed pretty spectacular, Norm. I use exactly this machine at work, having upgraded from a 15" MacBook Pro previously. I just found I didn't use the laptop as a portable that much, so at work, the MacBook Air now performs that function.

Kev

Thanks, Howard - I really appreciate your support, mate. If I can get the old machine running cheaply again, I'll do it, but its time is up as my main machine. It's long out of warranty, and I'm not sure I could trust it anymore.

Kev

Oh I'm sure you need to upgrade.

What I was referring to is that.in most cases, Apple can recover your data.