Post Apocalyptic OV-10A Bronco

Haggis

What defines a paint is the pigments not the solvent; Mr. Paint has acrylic pigment. But I grant you that it is the norm to define acrylic as meaning water soluble.

Read through your MiG-15 article in the Weathering magazine today - amazing work, the matt metal look really works brilliantly well to give that aged look a great edge.

As Jamie notes, whether a paint is considered an acrylic or not has nothing to do with the solvent it uses; it's about being made with a synthetic pigment. Mr. Paint is still technically an acrylic, but seems to use a mild lacquer solvent. If you've ever thinned Tamiya acrylics with Mr. Color Thinner, you're probably getting a similar result.

Kev

I only ever use Tamiya with X20A, with oils for "wood" on WWI stuff.

I'm a simpleton when it comes to paint.

Finally I could close up the fuselage. The seam is long and flat, a recipe for an awkward join, that's Tamiya filler!

P1320591_zpshp5gwlup.jpg

It's going to have fixed undercarriage so the nose wheel was blanked off using thin "steel" plates, simulated by plastic card.

P1320598_zpszwwttlns.jpg

Space for smuggling as much as possible is at a premium, so a Jerry can rack was made from Albion Alloys tubing, spare bits and some photo etch.

P1320604_zpsxpzywnkc.jpg

Right, lots going on here. An auxiliary ventral tank covers up the worst of that seam. This is going to be the new undercarriage mount, it's going to take a lot of pounding so needed strengthening hence the Albion Alloys tubing. Those WMIK bits on the outside are part of the suspension system.

P1320613_zpsvecjcazg.jpg

Dean, Tamiya is a lacquer based acrylic, same as Mr. Paint! ;-). It just happens to be water soluble unlike Mr. Paint!

Glad you liked the MiG article, I had a lot of fun doing that one.

Oh bugger - I really need to get my head around this paint lark.

Can you recommend an article or book for a simpleton, that summarises the paint types & differences between them?

Now this is what I call using your imagination!

Good for you!

Keep up the good work. :clap2:

Perhaps this will induce some other modelers with active imaginations to contribute their make-do 2039 aircraft also.

Perhaps make a GB if enough are interested. :hmmm:

This kind of model is great for breaking a stalled modeller out of the doldrums. Gets some of those models struck on the shelf of doom back into the air.

Keep in mind that modern jets require a large ground crew of mechanics and lots of specialized equipment and parts. Whereas taking some older propeller aircraft out of museums, or even taking some civilian aircraft and converting them for use or even as air pirate aircraft would be a reasonable direction to take. Revive those T-6 aircraft and convert them. The possibilities are endless. Heck, the markings on the air pirate aircraft would be very interesting. The old skull and cross bones flies again.

I can see a He-111 dolled up with floats and wheels with add on small jet engines for more oomph and perhaps another gun turret.

Wowsers! The possibilities are endless. Especially with skull and cross bones insignia.

:m0152:

Kinda gets the juices flowing again.

Thanks for the kick in the pants.

Stephen

Thanks chaps, much appreciated.

Now attention turned to the rest of the airframe and first up the tail booms.  The fit was OK but the inserts needed a bit of filler.  After a good rub down and re-scribe the rivets were added with RB Productions' rivet wheel.

P1320648_zpszsso8q9z.jpg

P1320652_zps9bo2leol.jpg

The exhausts were added from plastic tube plus the open area blanked off with mesh.

P1320656_zpsedb8za0y.jpg

The wing to boom join needed filler too.  For speed and more importantly non-shrinkage I used superglue mixed with talc.

P1320670_zps9ldqg1dt.jpg

Skinny sticks come into their own here.

P1320673_zpsa1hxydii.jpg

And after a polish the rivets were added.

P1320676_zpscbgskdke.jpg

Underneath the wheel wells were blanked off with lead sheet.

P1320663_zpsx5a7cggq.jpg

The engine fronts were blacked off with plastic card.  You'll see why later!

P1320658_zpsas9fa5qm.jpg

The contact area available for gluing is small therefore some brass rod was glued in place to act as wing spars.

P1320669_zpsz8qash3c.jpg

I thought it would be cool do add a patch on the wing.  5 though plastic card was glued in place then Archer raised rivet decals applied.  There are gaps, these were repaired.

P1320719_zpsc21bnydi.jpg

These were sealed with Mr Metal primer then Alclad grey.  It will be masked and I don't want the rivets to come off.

P1320722_zpsxuh1eraf.jpg

More random WMIK bits!

P1320732_zpstxda4dwf.jpg

Various grab handles and the like were added as well as tread plate and supports to the foot rests.  That big Albion Alloys tube is part of the gunner seat support.  More on that later too!

P1320735_zpss1vkzn1w.jpg

Time for some colour!  One of the spinners was painted up from yellow through orange to red.

P1320741_zpsjoxngntk.jpg

P1320744_zpsnqzc3svm.jpg

P1320754_zpslnmk7dvq.jpg

It was masked using that new Tamiya bendy stuff before painting black.

P1320759_zpsoz6lgtjd.jpg

And here is the finished spinner...

P1320763_zpsxbuldtwe.jpg

The 50 cal was drilled out then painted in matt black, pigment was used to get the right metallic tone.  The barrel sleeve will be darkened with burnishing fluid later.

P1320784_zpsghwu1xam.jpg