Tamiya Spitfire FR IX- PRU pink (Finished)

Really nice paint work Carl, looks very smooth, very interested in why you have dulled down the invasion strip's on the lower wings but not the fuselage?

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy. The underwing stripes were over painted fairly soon after D-Day but the fuselage ones were left on for a bit longer hence the two different finishes.

With all here. Excellent paint work. Love the look of invasion stripes just not a big fan of doing them.

I find it easiest to outline the stripes first using thin making tape (1mm thick) as it will follow contours easily. I then fill in with wider pieces of tape.

Thanks Carl. The Xtracrylic's Trainer Yellow is the best there is on the market in my opinion for colour, it has just the right intensity which other yellows lack, but I've fought shy of using it after bad experiences. Maybe I'll try it again when I do my Anson!

Max

Max, give them a try. One other thing to look out for. They can occasionally lift when you mask over it they're applied detection to bare plastic. That's why I gave the Spitfire a quick primer coat.

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Just finished my weekly monitor color calibration with the Munki Color Display system and fpr the life of me, I just can't see the pink. Looks almost as if a pale sandy tan.

In any case ... beautiful work

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Here's Edgars post on PRU pink

"Off-white; there's a sample in the National Archives, and, in order to see that it is pink, it was necessary to lay it on a sheet of white paper. I've had it matched, but it's pointless putting it on here, since you wouldn't see it."

Full thread here. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956899-pru-pink/

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks gents!

I haven't had too much time to work on the Spitfire but I have made a bit more progress.

I filled in the ejector pin marks in the read fairings. I don't think they're visible but just in case.

IMG_20160220_154231.jpg

I masked off the landing gear doors and the rad fairings for the invasion stripes.

IMG_20160220_154231.jpg

To get the placement right, I placed them on the wing and lined up the tape accordingly.

As per the previous stripes,I then sprayed NATO black and then the white.

IMG_20160221_222052.jpg

IMG_20160221_222441.jpg

IMG_20160221_222938.jpg

Again, I matched the overspray on the black to what was already done.

IMG_20160223_095130.jpg

Carl

I sneaked away from watching the boys for an hour and got some more work done. 

I painted the insides of the rad fairings, gear doors and the gear legs themselves with Mediums sea grey.

IMG_20160225_170855.jpg

IMG_20160225_170904.jpg

IMG_20160225_213021_1.jpg

For the oleo struts, I decided to try a new (to me) product:

IMG_20160225_222302_2.jpg

After cutting a small strip and peeling it off, I noticed that this is a film rather than foil. As such, it has a bit of stretch to it and seems to be much more durable than Bare Metal foil. Here it is applied to the oleos:

IMG_20160225_222909.jpg

The gear legs attached to the doors.

IMG_20160225_223859.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR