Tamiya Spitfire FR IX- PRU pink (Finished)

That motor assembly looks lovely Carl. Great stuff.

I've seen images of the full sized engines with green or copper coloured pipes so I guess either is ok.

I agree with Shaka Hi that the extra colour adds interest but I'm not sure what I'll go with when I get that far.

Keep at it.

Good job.

Cheers.

Every Spit I've seen 'in the flesh' has had copper coloured pipes..

..but of course that could be a restoration affectation.

But, as it does indeed add a bit of visual interest, I'm certainly going to follow that trend when I get round to one of the four Tamiya Spits I have in the stash!

Thanks everyone!

I attached the front windscreen and tear canopy sections to the fuselage.

IMG_20160215_134843.jpg

I then masked off the MLG bays using tape and sponge cut to fit.

IMG_20160215_140336.jpg

I normally don't prime my models but since the primary colour is a pale pink, I thought it would be better to do so in this case. I used Tamiya Surface primer in their square bottle for this.

IMG_20160215_142953.jpg

Now to let this dry and then onto laying some paint.

Carl

Can't remember last time i saw a pink Spitfire build, seen a few light blue ones. Always thought the PR birds were unarmed. Learn something all the time. I forget, was it blue on sunny days, pink on cloudy or the other way around?

Don

Can't remember last time i saw a pink Spitfire build, seen a few light blue ones. Always thought the PR birds were unarmed. Learn something all the time. I forget, was it blue on sunny days, pink on cloudy or the other way around?

Don

Most of the PR birds were unarmed. The blue ones did mostly high altitude flights while the pink ones were for low level flights below the clouds. My understanding is that since the low level missions were more likely to run into fighter opposition, they were the armed ones.

Besides blue and pink, there were also some in standard day fighter camo and some in a pale green.

Carl

Hello Carl,

Just dropped by to catch up ..I LOVE the Merlin Engine{ I am always for the heart of the aircraft}.

your canopy et al looks very tidy and neat.. Good looking work :wow: :yahoo: and I am waiting patiently till the Pink goes on her... :wub:

and the bench needs a duster !! :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks Maru!

How is this for a duster?

IMG_20160216_193101.jpg

Of course it came with those three wonderful words: "batteries not included " so I need to find some.

Carl

I made some more progress tonight. I masked off and painted the D-Day stripes on the lower fuselage and under wing areas.

IMG_20160217_223937.jpg

I used NATO black for the stripes.

IMG_20160217_224800.jpg

After unmasking the black, I then masked off the entire lower fuselage stripes.

IMG_20160217_225859.jpg

IMG_20160217_230523.jpg

IMG_20160217_230531.jpg

I then carefully oversprayed the wing stripes with a thin mix of white.

IMG_20160217_230902.jpg

I decided to lighten the stripes a bit more and sprayed a second coat on.

IMG_20160217_231558.jpg

Now to let it all dry before I break out the pink.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Most of the PR birds were unarmed. The blue ones did mostly high altitude flights while the pink ones were for low level flights below the clouds. My understanding is that since the low level missions were more likely to run into fighter opposition, they were the armed ones.

Besides blue and pink, there were also some in standard day fighter camo and some in a pale green.

Carl

Pink was ideal for camoufflage for low-level missions early around sunrise or late around sunset, particularly with some stratus cloud.  The particular aircraft here is a Mk FR IX, which I think was mainly used by only this one squadron, XVI Sqn.  Most PR birds (PR X and PR XI, with the PR XIX starting to appear) were PR blue by this time.

Earlier PR camouflage is an interesting area.  The Pale green was originally known as "Camotint" when it was developed for PR purposes, but came into general use as "Sky".

But apologies for lapsing into lecture mode - following with interest, and love the work on the engine in particular.