Hobbydecal rub down transfers , what an i doing wrong?!

gunpowder

Im trying to finish a Tamiya Phantom black bunny. Im using the hobbydecal dry transfers. I have tried 2 sets and they just rufuse to come away from the backing sheets. I have tried them over both matt and gloss finished but they just refuse to stick to the model. Any clues please?!

Hi gp,

I feel your pain.

Hobbydecal is a great idea but my experiences have been equally hit and miss.

I've found temperature and humidity play a part in success. I seem to remember that having the decal sheet warm worked better than when it was cold. I held the dry decal sheet close to a lamp bulb before trying to use the decals. Also, I had poorer success when the humidity was high.

Paradixically I also found that less pressure gave me better results. When I was rubbing the rear of the transfer it was almost as if more pressure made the ink stick to the backing paper.

I hope you find a method that works for you as the end results are superb when they work.

Cheers.

I found out that they work well on NMF (Alclad), but are difficult to use on colour, and may even lead to chipping.

So i keep them only for NMF, as anyway water slide decals are really not a problem on color paint as you can spray a coat of varnish all over.

It has been my experience with all brands of rub on decals that time is their enemy. Fresh ones work as expected but the older they get the less likely they are to work well. Even the generic ones they sell at the office supply stores. If they have been on the shelf too long they don't work well.

It has been my experience with all brands of rub on decals that time is their enemy. Fresh ones work as expected but the older they get the less likely they are to work well. Even the generic ones they sell at the office supply stores. If they have been on the shelf too long they don't work well.

This is why Archer Transfers guarantees their products. If they don't work, you can return them for "fresh" ones.

I'm impressed that everybody expressed bad feedback about these dry transfers. That's right that they are difficult to apply correctly, but if you manage to use them, they look great !

20140804_171416_zps7231b3ed.jpg

The most difficult is just to get them directly from the manufacturer. :)

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=41206&page=2

I'm impressed that everybody expressed bad feedback about these dry transfers. That's right that they are difficult to apply correctly, but if you manage to use them, they look great !

It must be something in French wine, but no one else could get them to work, Zero.

Lol !

Even on NMF? I can't believe i was lucky enough to be the only one to get a working set...

I did not say they are a piece of cake to use (i prefer a lot using waterslide decals) but that's not impossible. If i remember correctly, one or two years ago, we were numerous to talk about the difficluties to get them, and we all had a rant toward the bad customer service of the manufacturer (including myself). But nobody really talked about poor quality, or any other "never again" stuff.