Niihau Incident A6M2

mykl8180

Hi all,

This past Decemeber I had the good fortune to visit Hawaii.  While I was in Hawaii, I visited Pearl Harbor and the Pacific Aviation Museum.  On display at the museum is some of the wreckage from the Zero which crash landed on the island of Niihau on that fateful December morning.  I had heard of the events surrounding and following the crash landing, but seeing the wreckage at the museum really brought the story to life for me.  If you are unfamiliar with the incident, here is a link which will provide some background information on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niihau_Incident.

Inspired by my visit to Hawaii, I decided to delve into my Tamiya A6M2 which has been sitting on the shelf for way too  long now.  In addition to the kit, I will be using some goodies from Eduard and markings for the aircraft involved in the Niihau Incident.

Without further ado, work on the project started with the Sakae engine.  Comments and feedback are always welcome.  Thanks.IMG_8700-2_zpsfb008dc9.jpgIMG_8699-2_zpsd1b18030.jpgIMG_8698-2_zps16d1e8a6.jpgIMG_8697-2_zps46d75904.jpg

Thanks for the comments from everyone.  Work on the Zero is progressing slowly, but the cockpit floor has been finished.  It hasn't been weathered yet, but I will wait to weather it until, I can weather the whole cockpit at once.  Weathering will be light anyway, as this plane was relatively new on Dec  7, 1941.IMG_8783-2_zps162eeda3.jpgIMG_8784-2_zps13689ef3.jpgIMG_8785-2_zps635c2b57.jpgIMG_8786-2_zps8bcce116.jpg

Some parts appear to be metallic green, while others show metallic blue. Is that intentional or a photography issue? Nice engine.

It is actually a lighting issue.  I try to take my photos in natural sunlight.  However, I didn't think that the natural light was bringing out all of the detail in the engine.  So, I placed a small LED light (probably not the best choice on my part  :oops:) on the engine as well.  The difference between the two light sources is what brought out the different colors.  Thanks for pointing that out.  It gave me something to consider for taking future photos. 

That aoteke is special......

As ive built mine...ive seen them go to more green blue to more blue when i did my research...looked many many pics, i went for more blue..matter of taste...so in my eyes it looks right, and i like it. and im not Zero expert..but read alot and got lots of info from LSP members that helped me alot.....

Aslo this looks so nice..i like that wiring/tubing work youve done.

/Mal

Edited by Mal_Belford

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

So, it's been a while since I've updated progress on this project.  I am very happy to say that is, in fact, not dead.  I just haven't had a ton of spare time to work on it.  Anyway, the cockpit is mostly complete at this point.  There are only a few minor things which need to be addressed.  As always, comments and critiques are welcome.

IMG_5372_zpskrgvtoxe.jpg

IMG_5377_zpsikthsutw.jpgIMG_5375_zps8gzye8vz.jpgIMG_5376_zpsruldhqrl.jpgIMG_5373_zpsvqcynnzg.jpg

Great project and sensational work Myk. It really gets the enthusiasm up and about when we take on a project that is so interesting with antics by the pilot afterwards being of historic interest.

Here's a link to mine that I did a couple of years ago. http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=39171&hl=a6m2&do=findComment&comment=379996

Similar project but related to first Zero shot down during the first air raid on Darwin in Feb 1942.

Have fun.