HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

Craig,

The comparison pic of the HK nosecone and yours; I think your rear edge shape is much closer to the real thing.

The HK looks to "pinched" towards the bottom, giving it a stretched look.

Your's has just the right amount of "meat" in this area, retaining the circular look, rather then a elongated look..

I didn't see this one coming!

Originally, I assumed you were going to vac a clear nosecone and place your brass framework over that.

Individual clear segments fitting into the framework? I'd think I misread something, if I didn't know you're a glutton for punishment, which repeatedly morphs into beautiful pieces of work!

Loving challenges as you do  begs the questions:

• Are you going to hinge the small vent/cleaning hatch on the lower right side of the nose, making it postionable and adding some extra character to the nose?
  • Have you figure out how to make the gun ball sockets movable?

I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek, but you wouldn't surprise me if you did!

Terry

Thanks Terry! Still working the fine points of the concept, but I'll still be looking to vac form acrylic sheet over a reduced master to account for the thickness, then cut that into the individual segments to fit back into the frame (hopefully that makes sense!) :) Not really sure how to do the ball sockets yet, but I'm working on a plan for them too....

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I do hope you like eating popcorn Loic, you may be eating a lot of it waiting for this build to finish!!!!

Craig

Amazing work; simply brilliant work

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you Peter, always a pleasure when you drop by. That meteor of yours is just stunning :)

Brilliant work, Craig!

Kev

Thanks Kev! Always appreciate you looking in :) That birdcage of yours is looking the goods 

awesome stuff, wish I understood it lol

Hahaha, thanks Rich. You know the best way to learn is take on a large project that forces you to use a lot of the functionality. Having said that, getting initial confidence with some simple shapes will do you well; but once you get the hang of how it works and start to think about the way to "deconstruct" something, it's pretty simple. I'm totally hooked on this method and with the aid of some recently acquired drawings, I'm looking to redo the whole rear fuselage too. In the end, if you stuff it up, you can just delete it! :)

If you do have any questions about it, feel free to ask. I'm certainly no expert, but I can share my experiences and what works and what doesn't with you :)

Cheers,

Craig

Craig,

Your plan of attack for the nosecone makes perfect sense --- your going to build it pretty much like the original.

I understand your concept of an undersized master and all, but I'm curious and have to ask ---why?

Are you concerned about getting the 3D effect of the framework on the interior  of the nosecone, or is it the challege?

Don't get me wrong here.

If it's the challenge, that's understandable.

If I were in your position, I'd want to attempt (note I said attempt) your framework/segments approach.

My concern would be the strength issue of a "solid" vac nosecone with a framework overlay vs a "segmented" assemby.

Then again, a little "flexibility" might come in handy

What about a solid vac nosecone with a exterior framework overlay and a interior framework inlay?

Might help some with your ball sockets

Just my thoughts.

As usual, it's easy for me to sit back and come up with ideas when your're the one doing the work!

One thing I not concerned about --- in the end, one way or another, you'll pull it off.

Terry

Back again!

Terry, to answer your question. The undersized master is purely to allow for material thickness when I do the clear vac-form part. I'm planning on using 2mm acrylic (should polish up nicely) so the reduced size is to account for that thickness. 

All the framework however, is being made at the proper size, so the outside thickness/profile of the acrylic should, in theory, take the same shape. Hopefully that makes sense? :)

Anyway, here's the latest straight off the bench (and not even cleaned up for the photos.......)

IMG_1477_zpsnnrctuoi.jpg

So this is my brass framework based on both the full sized nose piece for the contours and the segmented print I did of the same drawing so I could derive the correct frame shape for each segment. All I did was trace around each piece for the cross sectional shape and then cut it from brass. Apart from being a bit dickey to solder, it was pretty straight forward. Once I've cleaned it up it should work a treat!

Here's a couple of quick photos to show it on it's future home :)

IMG_1479_zps0vxeci42.jpg

IMG_1480_zps6ru5kb64.jpg

Yes its pretty rough at the moment, but once I get in and clean it up, it should look semi-presentable :) So the clear parts will fit in between each segment and then the final "flat" framework will go over the exterior, but that's a future Craig problem.....

You'll also note there is a lot of clean up to do around the cockpit (currently drowned in JB weld). No turning back now! :)

Cheers,

Craig

Edited by brahman104

Craig,

I need to stop jabbering so much and just sit back and watch the "master" work!

I apologize for my concerns about you nosecone plan of attack.

While a very delicate piece of work, it does look sturdy as is.

I can see how the inserts and outer framework will add to it's stability.

Did find some additional info on the B-17 RAF designations.

The B-17C was the first model bought from Boeing, obviously becoming Fortress I.

The B-17F was the next model that was ordered via contract from Boeing and became Fortress II.

However the RAF acquired B-17Es, transferred from USAAF inventory, BEFORE any B-17Fs were delivered

The RAF considerered the difference between the E and F as minimal, so it was convienent to retain the Fortress II designation. with the A added, as the Es were acquired from the USAAF and not new construction from a Boeing contract.

The B-17G was next and ordered via contract with Boeing, becoming Fortress III.

Supposedly this explains the reason the E ended up as Fortress IIA rather then Fortress II and the F as Fortress II instead of Fortress III.

Sounds like a plausible explanation, considering how "redtape bureaucacy" works.

"Paperwise"  it went B-17C, B-17F, B-17E and finally B-17G.

So this is a case were the cart (B-17F) was placed in front of the horse (B-17E).

Terry

Craig,

Sorry, forgot to mention the most importent thing.

The last photo of your "hodgepodge" of plastic, brass, JB Weld and tape, even in this rough stage, is by far THE BEST forward fuselage of a model B-17 I have ever seen!

Terry

Craig,

Lovely work on all the fiddly bits and a very nice bit of work on reconstruction of the flight deck. The brass looks terrific.

Best

Geoff

Thank you good Sir! The whole thing does look a little messy at this stage, but I'm hoping to be able to spend some time cleaning up now that everything is set up and bonded. I'll be looking to your mustang for inspiration on the riveting when I get to it!

wow....I could never do that out of plastic let alone brass..

Sure you could Shawn! Brass is pretty easy to work with once you get the hang of it, but it's my little air-driven turbo carver that makes this all possible. I love brass because it's strong and doesn't distort. Jump on board the brass train, you won't regret it! :)

Now THAT is some serious soldering work- cheers!

Thanks Chuk. My main aim there was to put enough solder on each joint to make it strong, yet not hold it there for too long that the heat would re-melt any existing joints. It was actually a lot easier that I had feared :)

Wow, Craig, that's seriously impressive. That soldering just blows me away.

Jim

Cheers Jim! I can certainly say the same about your Tomcat dio :) I shouldn't have posted any pics till I'd cleaned it up, but there it is, flaws and all.....

Craig,

Sorry, forgot to mention the most importent thing.

The last photo of your "hodgepodge" of plastic, brass, JB Weld and tape, even in this rough stage, is by far THE BEST forward fuselage of a model B-17 I have ever seen!

Terry

And THAT, my friend, is the biggest compliment I think I could ever hope for! That was certainly one of the main aims of the project at the start, hopefully everything is starting to fall into place now :)

Looks great, Craig! I fear for the joins with JB Weld on them, though. Not because it's weak, but quite the opposite in fact. It's going to be like sanding hardened steel!

Kev

Thanks Kev! Yep, the old JB is strong stuff. I do have a plan though. I recently invested in this motorised thing that's kind of like a mini drum sander..... Its real purpose is to remove rough skin from ladies feet, but I feel it is the perfect thing for taming that mass of JB. Time will tell, otherwise I have some substantial filing to do  :unsure:

Great video, thanks Chris! I've actually had a bit of contact (through Terry) with these guys and they've helped me out no-end with some excellent drawings, which is what I owe the success of the re-done nose to. I'd love to go and see this restoration in the flesh. Very impressive what a group of well motivated people can achieve!

Craig