HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

outstanding Craig :)

i love how fast you have picked this up and the skill in your execution - it looks superb and I think rewards all the extra time and effort

another benefit is you can just sheet over where you integrate the 3D printed parts - no messing around getting rid of the seams etc...

..can't wait to see more

Peter

Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm having a ball on this one, so much to learn, so many challenges :)

Rich, I should go back and have a look at your awesome B-17 on a truck dio, you did have some stunning interior detail in there which could be good reference for me :)

Peter, I possibly wouldn't have got anywhere near this far without learning from yourself! I'm going to have to go back several times to your threads and have a look at how you've done certain things; I can see the engines being quite a challenge..... Glad to se you back mate :)

Cheers, Craig

So having finally got my mark-out dye, I could then draw up with reasonable accuracy the cockpit frames in brass. This ensures that they are nice and strong, particularly as there wasn't a great deal of brass left when I'd finished :)

IMG_1143_zpsl9w2rcfo.jpg

IMG_1144_zps7mpvwwux.jpg

IMG_1145_zpsfdgmqnkw.jpg

A rather tricky soldering job later and......

IMG_1154_zpsdysgd89w.jpg

Ta da! Pretty rough cut and needs some more work, but pretty good even at this early stage :)

Now for the moment we've all been waiting for...

IMG_1150_zpsltkcw8zd.jpg

IMG_1148_zpsuv8lb8hs.jpg

IMG_1153_zpsit6na5hg.jpg

IMG_1155_zpsklmmet9o.jpg

I reckon with a bit more tidying up, I might just pull this off! :)

Still need to figure out how I'm going to do the windows and the sliding tracks, but I think for now the "face" is looking pretty close.....

More to come soon 

Craig

The new window arrangement is such a huge improvement over the HK example - I've built two of them and always thought 'they looked like a B-17' but when you see your re-worked example the errors in the HK offering really stand out.

This really is brilliant work!

For the windows, I usually use clear acetate. To secure it safely I often insert another frame behind, which has slightly smaller apertures for the 'glass'. When secured behind the outer frame it gives a 'ledge' for the glass to sit on without the risk of it falling inside. I also paint the inner frame black, and then secure the clear parts with PVA-based glue. When dry, the inner frame all but disappears as it's black, and if you can see it, it just looks like a rubber seal.

I hope that made some form of sense?

Tom

Craig,

Well, someone's certainly been busy!

Your "plastic cabin" with the windows drawn in really shows you have captured that "look"! 

The brass frames are really some astonding work on your part.

With the windows added it's going to have a very scale appearance and not look like the windows were 6" thick bullet resistent glass.

The radioroom "racetrack" and liferaft compartment work are also a testament to the skill and talent you have.

I'd think by now, we all would be beyond picking our jaws off the floor with this build, but you just keep raising the bar.

Can't say it enough ---- really spectacular work bringing this C/D to life

Terry

Craig,

Just going over your last update for the third time! Amazing, just amazing!

You mentioned that you should have painted the radioroom roof interior olive drab.

First off, while I find them interesting, I am not trying to starting another never-ending color shade debate here.

While the soundproofing material was a darker green shade, I think everyone will argree, there will always be slight to major color shade differences, no matter the material. There are period photos showing the soundproofing material as smooth surfaced, diamond quilted and square quilted. If the pattern varied from manufacturer to manufacturer (or lot to lot for that matter), it's hard to believe that the color shade was exactly the same. Just don't see Boeing shutting down the assembly line due to the soundproofing material being rejected on color shade!

I'm sure if the original Bronze Green paint that remained on the Swoose and Memphis Belle were compared, there would be a differnce. Even within each aircraft individually, different components carry varying shades of the color.

In fifty years, the color shades used on the F-15 are going to be debated, with pictures, tech orders and paint chips being used to argue one's opinion.

If fifty LSP members were given a FS color chip and asked to mix their own paint to match it, we'd probably end up with fifty different shades and each mixer would swear it was an exact match to the chip.

My point is, since the B-17 "color shades debate" is destined to go on forever, use it to your advantage.

Yes, keep it in the ballpark, but take some artistic liberties to highlight your fine work and detail..

When your C/D is finished, if someone wants to nit-pick a color shade rather then appreciate the extraordinary work you have put into this model --- well then I'm sorry, but they are missing the whole point!

Modeling has come a long way, to where a model can be a work of art. I'm no art expert, but when people view world renown materpieces, they appreciate them, not critique them!

Really appreciate your updates and responses, as they do take away from your bench time!

Terry