...and some more completed projects.

BiggTim

A few more old projects on display:

The P-38 is by far my favorite plane EVER (if they ever make a 1/24 version of it I will pay whatever it costs). The first one I built in 1/32 was the re-issued Revell kit some years back. The detail in this kit is SO bad, and I was not really much for scratchbuilding and panel line scribing back then, I just closed all the hatches, left the guts out, and made a flight display out of it. And since I did a crappy job on the panel lines, I couldn't bring myself to paint it NM, so I painted it the gaudiest color I could think of, and painted the YIPPEE markings on it. Not too bad, and lots of fun!

6ecc4f7d-4d84-4762-bc13-a461b07e2a13_zps

80379c7a-cdfb-424e-9c3b-685bb1497d21_zps

c691fd77-a1e5-4380-a537-8a84035f32af_zps

883163ea-8a1a-4ba9-9480-5773b02504fb_zps

I also have an affinity for the Hasegawa pre-war fighters, like this P-26 Peashooter. Again, it is OOB, (seeing a theme there?) and I chose to paint it a flashy scheme I saw in an old Aviation magazine. Since there were no decals of that plane, I had to mask and paint most of them, including the indian head emblem. The rigging is a very fine monofilament beading string with a light coat of Metalizer Aluminum. I also left it in a satin finish, and cleaner than I would do for a warbird, since this plane never saw an combat.

IMG_4128_zps136cb67b.jpg

IMG_4130_zpse5ec95f7.jpg

IMG_4132_zpsb3a1fba0.jpg

IMG_4133_zps6f8b97a4.jpg

IMG_4104_zps2f3959bc.jpg

Well, that's it for now. I have a couple more recent completions from earlier this year yet to photograph, and will post when I get them taken.

Thanks all!

YIPPEE      It's a P-26.

Love anything posed In-flight and an ORANGE  P-38 coming straight at you will get your ATTENTION

LOVE the COLORS   Pre-war we needed better color camera HA HA HA!!

The "Shooter" is impressive as I would probably not try the scheme...........BUT  MAYBE!!

jack

Guest Peterpools

Tim

Two golden oldies and what a great job you did on them. Surely remember the days when scribing and scratch building were almost non-existent.

Terrific work

Peter

Really nice work, especially the P-26 art you did on your own. By the way, did you see an illustration or a photo of the P-26? I've seen the illustration of a profile in the old Aero Detail book on the P-26, but never seen a photo. I'd love to know if it was someone's imagination or actually a real aircraft. It's too pretty not to be, but you never know.

Love all the color. They look great, regardless of the kit quality you were presented with. I need to follow your lead and just do the out of the box thing like you did on the P-38, but get them off the bench.

Tnarg

Really nice work, especially the P-26 art you did on your own. By the way, did you see an illustration or a photo of the P-26? I've seen the illustration of a profile in the old Aero Detail book on the P-26, but never seen a photo. I'd love to know if it was someone's imagination or actually a real aircraft. It's too pretty not to be, but you never know.

Love all the color. They look great, regardless of the kit quality you were presented with. I need to follow your lead and just do the out of the box thing like you did on the P-38, but get them off the bench.

Tnarg

Thanks!

Yes, the P-26 was apparently a real scheme. I saw some color artwork of it on the cover of an old issue of "Aviation" magazine, and I think it may have had a B/W pic in the article, but I'm not sure. I may still have the mag around, if I find it, I'll post it.

We are pretty careful about what we spend (plus I have other hobbies), so OOB fits what I can afford, and forces me to get a lot of practice scratchbuilding detail. I pretty much only resort to buying AM details when something is over my head or I want to save some time. Good luck to you!

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tim,

Considering the quality of the kit especially, i have to say that's one of the nicest-rendered 32nd scale P-38s i've ever seen regardless of manufacturer.

Brilliantly presented and inspired choice of paint scheme. No kidding, really nice work. I think its actually the first "Yippee" built up in any scale. All the more amazing since those Microscale decals have been around forever.

And yeah, i guess the P-26 is all right too LOL

Thanks for posting!

david