1/32 Electric Intruder - Grumman EA-6A Conversion

allthumbs

• 2 weeks later...

But I should mention other options, beginning with the tanks provided in the Trumpeter A-4 Skyhawk kits, A-1 Skyraider kits,A-7 Corsair ll kits, and AV-8B Harrier kits. I have not examined these close up, but it appears they might be different (better?) than the Intruder offerings. Zoukei-Mura supply them in their Skyraider kits too. And finally, a set of resin tanks is available from Fisher Model & Pattern. Again, I have not seen them in the flesh, but they look very good in photographs.

Regards,

Rich

A-7 Corsair II  Are worse yet :innocent:   They have a big mid flat section added to them.   FYI

Nice work on this EA-6  Wish you can make molds of all your work. It would make a great conversion for us :please: .

I would pick one up

Cheers

Thanks Darren, Vandy...

Again, I'm flattered by the compliments and the suggestions regarding reproducing some of this work, say as part of an EA-6A conversion set.

Well it turns out I'm currently in talks with a prominent aftermarket supplier. The state of the project is quite preliminary at the moment, but, if all goes as planned, a high quality resin conversion set will hit the market later this year. So stay tuned!

Regards,

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

Thanks Darren, Vandy...

Again, I'm flattered by the compliments and the suggestions regarding reproducing some of this work, say as part of an EA-6A conversion set.

Well it turns out I'm currently in talks with a prominent aftermarket supplier. The state of the project is quite preliminary at the moment, but, if all goes as planned, a high quality resin conversion set will hit the market later this year. So stay tuned!

Regards,

Rich

:please:   Keep us updated on the conversion.   Maybe we can get Dave Roof (Leather Neck) or Eli (Zots) to do the decals for it :m0152:

• 2 weeks later...

That would be quite the honor! Has me thinking if someone would want to make corrected parts for the 1/32 Matchbox-Revell Spitfire 22/24 based on the corrections I made and am making to mine.

Maybe you should contact Grey Matter?

• 4 weeks later...

Once again, I'm grateful for all of the enthusiasm, support, and kind feedback...thank you all sincerely!

This update focuses on the ejection seats. All EA-6A's were delivered with the Martin Baker GRU-5, or "early" seat. By the mid 1970's, the fleet had been refitted with the GRU-7 "late" seat. My vision is to model a black tailed VMAQ-2 bird circa 1977, so dash seven it is. Here are some shots of the real deal...

image.jpg6_zpsgaf8huqf.jpg

image.jpg7_zpsaahsn53z.jpg

image.jpg8_zpsid2dxuma.jpg

The seats in the kit are okay, but I planned on upgrading to resin examples provided in the Avionix A-6A Intruder cockpit set. These are beautifully cast and well detailed - a significant improvement over Trumpeter's offerings. I was quick to sing their praises whenever the topic came up over on the LSP discussion board. But other posters were more critical, suggesting there was something "not quite right" about them. This led to further scrutiny on my part and an eventual reappraisal...

I still like 'em a lot, but there's room for improvement, especially with regard to the headrest area. Compared to reference photos, the Avionix headrest comes up short in profile, lacking the characteristic forward lean of the prototype. In addition, it appears too wide when viewed from head on. Taken together, these errors give the upper seat assembly a stout, blocky appearance.

I decided to scratch build new headrests and spines. These will graft onto the Avionix seat buckets and backrests, which I thought were very well done and worth preserving.

This approach, while time consuming, allows for the freedom and opportunity to improve other details. And just to be clear, I'm not dismissing the Avionix set, which I still rate as very good. Painted up and decorated with stickers and placards, they would dress up any model for sure.

But I was curious to see what I could come up with on my own. Still in somewhat of a scratch building mindset after the tail pod and electronic warfare suite, I reached for my supply of Evergreen brand sheet plastic stock...

image.jpg2_zpsmywrbw7d.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsx6o9290m.jpg

And some comparison shots next to an unaltered Avionix example in all gray...

image.jpg3_zps8ys4iptc.jpg

image.jpg5_zps3swt9k9d.jpg

image.jpg4_zpssyktt2oy.jpg

There are still more details to add (modern ejection seats are devilishly complex, Rube Goldberg like contraptions - it's part of what makes them so interesting to us modelers), but the basic structure is complete.

More next time...

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

Looks good only I do not like when manufactures drap the parachute risers down like they do. They should be up towards the top of the parachute pack as they are attached to the inertia reel which is spring loaded and retracts the risers back against the parachute pack. If you need any help I know every piece of the GRU-7 seat.

Cheers, Vitali

Looks good only I do not like when manufactures drap the parachute risers down like they do. They should be up towards the top of the parachute pack as they are attached to the inertia reel which is spring loaded and retracts the risers back against the parachute pack. If you need any help I know every piece of the GRU-7 seat.

Cheers, Vitali

Good point Vitali. I think I'll redo those risers too. And heck, at this rate, I might as well....

Oh dear, you must know what I'm thinking now ;)

Edited by allthumbs