Aerotech DH-88 Comet . Finished.

ericg

Oh man! I've got some serious Comet envy going on.

Lovely work Eric. The texture on the control surfaces looks just about perfect on my monitor. Good job.

The polished props and nose light are beautiful. This build gets better and better. Keep it up.

Cheers.

Some more progress on this one.

I found the instrument panel, but my chair found it first and I ran over it after it fell from the position that I had placed it for safekeeping. It got a little mangled in the process so I decided to knock up a new panel from plastic card. I was going to incorporate the Airscale bezels but I didn't want it looking too flash as the rest of the cockpit is a bit plain. Here is the kit photo etch panel vs my new one. I found that making a new one gave me the opportunity to increase the size of the panel, as the kit unit seemed to be a little on the small side.

B638F21B-0D0B-4C72-9BFB-634A936122B6_zps

Here is the new panel with instruments from Airscales excellent decal set. I plan to give this a coat of semi gloss to flatten it and then apply clear glue to simulate the clear instrument faces.

7219DD99-D714-4ABD-A90B-8F558487EF9B_zps

An issue that I have had with the finishing process has been picking out detail using a wash. Given the glossy finish, the wash is very hard to get to stay in the cracks and it was leaving me a bit annoyed as to how to get around this important process without it looking like it does below. I wanted a pin wash but it ended up looking very patchy and certainly would not cut it in the display cabinet.

EC1DFA0A-56FD-487B-9D38-A71A52AFA577_zps

One of those little techniques that I often use to get tiny black lines is to use the black strip that seperates marking options in Wingnut Wings kits. They are very thin, straight and are high quality decals and are an excellent alternative to trying to paint the lines. I thought I would give it a try as a pin wash. Here you can see the new `wash' as applied to the wing root fairing. I have used the traditional wash technique on the engine cowling which you can see in this pic.

1DA278A6-E77B-437B-89C5-FDAE8E039C9B_zps

B5C1D958-F069-41E8-9F17-35EBD0CF38BD_zps

I modified the gear doors, Reshaping the white metal parts to make them thinner, longer and more curved. The kit one is on the bottom.

27264D21-269D-4BF5-A3E6-E454D98B8762_zps

Looking pretty good!

4EDB5629-9E39-49BC-B902-F0AB0E077DB5_zps

I glazed the canopy frame with individual pieces that I cut from a product packet. One of the more difficult modelling tasks that I have set myself, but in the end it should be worth it. (or it will end up in a tangled mess on the workshop floor!)

I have this shot zoomed out as it is a bit rough at this stage. Closer inspection once I am done.

23098BC5-5DD4-4663-B9B8-F2E734921C95_zps