Aerotech DH-88 Comet . Finished.

ericg

Neat work on the inlets Eric. It looks as though the little Airfix kit is not the only one to have issues in that department. The remedial work is a significant improvement.

That plan view looks superb mate so I'm eager to see how you apply the fabric effects. You've done too much work to shelve this project now. Might as well see it through eh? :innocent:

Actually, you might be able to help me. I notice that this kit does have the wing lights on the wing leading edge. Would you mind measuring the distance from the outside of each nacelle to the centre of the light fairing please? I'm in the middle of the 1/72nd scale kit (hence my feverish interst in this bad boy) and those lights are missing completely.

Keep up the super work. This model will be another in a long line of beauties from the Eric G stable.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

• 2 weeks later...
Not much of an update as I have primed the model and have been working on fixing all of the flaws (and there are lots)... as you can see from the following pic, there is not much primer left on the model as it has had many hours of sanding, filing and other work done to it to hopefully give it a flawless surface upon which I will now re-prime, then add the fabric texture to it it followed by a further prime in Tamiya pink Surface primer before the paint. The very large Tek screw that I have put into the nose is to give me something to grab when painting.

AA7D8C88-1760-4DBA-B8E7-C4A71690CBF1_zps

Guest Peterpools

Eric

Always the fun part of a build and it sure looks as if you have fixed all that's needs to be fixed. Looking forward to the first color coats

Keep 'em coming

Peter

The overall shape looks good from what I can see now Eric.

A couple of observations. Does the kit include the pitot on the starboard wing? The renovated version definitely has one, not sure whether the original pitot was sited there.

Also, the shark grilles on the nacelles appear raised in your last photo. It might be worth checking references on that. They are flush on the refurbished airframe but again, I'm not sure about the original

. Would you mind measuring the distance from the outside of each nacelle to the centre of the red/green position light fairing please?

Cheers.

If it's not too much trouble could you run a tape over the kit please? Thanks.

Cheers.

Hi Geedubelyer,

The kit does include the pitot tube on the starboard wing. I am yet to think of a practical way to fit it.

The shark gills to me look OK as compared to the original pictures although there has been nothing about the kit ones that has jumped out at me and said `Change me'. I will look into it.

The distance from the outside of the nacelle to the centre of the light fitting is 27mm. I also measured the other way for you:

16F13380-565D-407E-BF37-82DF3D790A3A_zps

I was always going to incorporate fabric surface detail into this model from the moment that I decided to get into it. I like to try something new with most of my builds and this was no exception. Many times during research on the aircraft, my eye was drawn to the very subtle ribs and raised detail on the rear of the wing, and control surfaces. The kit is pretty well devoid of most of any surface detail. I think this enhancement will be the single biggest change to the look of the kit, as it gives it a look that allows the viewer to have some idea of how the real aircraft was constructed that is: wood, wire and fabric. It brings to the kit a certain fragileness of the real thing. The detail that I am incorporating is `second look' stuff. Once the viewer recoignises the sleek shape of the model, he (or she) will be drawn in closer for a second look to see the finer detail that made up the beast and will question how such a fine looking machine was made from such parts.

Anyway, enough of the lovey dovey stuff and into the technique.

Working from Mancave B today so a different desk and lights. Tamiya Masking tape, a sharp lead pencil, vernier callipers and a straight edge. The ribs are very subtle and are very hard to capture in a photo as the are only obvious depending on where the light is.

7B34C42A-1643-4485-A038-A084E5352CD6_zps

I used this superb profile picture as taken by Alpha Delta 210 over on Britmodeller as my reference.

DSC_6533_zpsea336b63.jpg

I used Tamiya 6mm masking tape to fill in the areas between the ribs as it was a perfect fit width wise.

058CC4BE-245C-4D8B-BDDD-55D4E6009D32_zps

I decanted Tamiya fine surface primer and sprayed it over the masked area with the airbrush. a couple of coats were needed.

2DD49CE7-973D-4BAA-B127-B9DB932F1F58_zps

I then sanded carefully between each rib to give it a 3D look.

AA7AAD8E-2135-41A5-9705-36C21BB1C940_zps

Similar for the ailerons

53BD29D0-8E35-496E-BF76-8B35E83F6739_zps

75D2447C-855C-440C-B48E-2AADAE0AEE05_zps

9775C650-A81F-4A90-AA3F-F33A05B031E3_zps

Edited by ericg

In this picture, you can see how I accomplished the wrap around fairings of the wing root. I scribed them in place and then carved the rest of the model away from them to give them the raised look.

59CE3B10-DDA6-4007-942F-4A3A580EC6BD_zps

Masked off the rib detail

BC8E80E3-2865-4188-83CC-B5BF321E2798_zps

36F5AF34-93E3-4BF7-8F54-691E31F7DB12_zps

The effect is so subtle that it is really hard to photograph. You really have to move the model around near a light to see it at this stage. Once the gloss red paint goes on, it will be a different story.

97FDE3A5-6639-4B67-8E5A-6AA5E0E87D28_zps

C3CEE9FA-DC8C-4A14-88CC-063439CEE30A_zps

Hi Geedubelyer,

The kit does include the pitot tube on the starboard wing. I am yet to think of a practical way to fit it.

The shark gills to me look OK as compared to the original pictures although there has been nothing about the kit ones that has jumped out at me and said `Change me'. I will look into it.

The distance from the outside of the nacelle to the centre of the light fitting is 27mm. I also measured the other way for you:

Perfect. Thanks Eric, much appreciated. Now I don't have to guess where they sit on my smaller scale version. It will be interesting to see how close the overall measurements compare between the two.

Lovely job on that fabric texture, it works a treat. I agree that the gloss red will add just enough to make your work worthwhile.

Superb stuff, keep it up.

Cheers.