Revell 1:32 Spitfire IIa with some 'improvements'

Iain

I absolutely love the way you're building this kit.

Your enthousiasm and skills make this WIP very interesting and entertaining.

Very nice progress, keep those updates coming.

Fantastic stuff!

Whilst the build is way out of my league skill wise, it is great to see the kit taken apart and put back together in this way

Thanks for sharing

Edited by nmayhew

Hi Iain, a nice catch on the bulged fuselage sides. I'm not convinced that I would have spotted that immeadiately so thanks for the heads-up.

Also, very clear rear three quarter shots of the full sized bird. Thanks for sharing.

(more fun that carving and sanding  ;) )
{~snip~}

Whilst we're at it I'll probably alter the gear bay bulge a little...

Iain

Before you put away the sanding stick, you might wish to have a go at the bumps on the cowl top....(Edit: Check out those sink marks :blink: )

tn_RevellSpitbumps_zpse86cb523.jpg

tn_RevellSpitbumps1_zpsce0f0832.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing more mods. Thanks for being the trail blazer and for detailing methods of correction. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

Whilst the build is way out of my league skill wise...

I very much doubt that (and, anyway, most things are way out of my league anyway - but it's never stopped me...)  ;)

Am doing nothing here that takes either any skill, special tools - or even much time. No guarantees it'll be 100% (no model is) - but am confident that a slightly better looking Spit can be made with minimal effort  :)

Before you put away the sanding stick, you might wish to have a go at the bumps on the cowl top....(Edit: Check out those sink marks :blink:

I've not ventured that far with regard to any mods/improvements as yet - save to establish that I don't think the top cowl is as far out as has been reported in some circles (which may come back to haunt me - we'll see).  :hmmm:

Same sink marks on mine as well!

I would suggest we all build ours and share experiences. I have started on mine.

Couldn't agree more!!!  :thumbsup:

Iain

Cheers Boris  :)

A little progress...

Inner fuselage components have all been glossed ready for detail painting/weathering/instrument decals.

Tail planes treated to a rivet reduction programme - note how those on underside are a lot more prominent:

IMG_3183.jpg

Wing 'plates' removed - here's the port side after quick filing back. What it does highlight is that Revell have attempted to give the overlapping skin impression with a very slight step being present - to preserve this the 'plates' need sanding back on two levels:

IMG_3184.jpg

And starboard - after re-scribing and further reducing rear half of 'plate' with a sharp scalpel:

IMG_3185.jpg

On the underside I've cut away the moulded strengthening webs from the area that I'll be making the recessed Radiator section - and at the front where I'll be re-shaping the wing underside (hopefully!):

IMG_3186.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg

More later (maybe!)

Iain

Guest Peterpools

Iain

Wonderful update and as I have the kit; taking notes and making all the corrections I will be making

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Project 'lookalike' begins - improving the shape of the radiator recess (please chip in if I've made the wrong assumption that area would be similar to Mk IX).

The rdiator bath area on the Tamiya kits:

IMG_3190.jpg

Corresponding area on Revell's Mk IIA:

IMG_3191.jpg

Fresh scalpel blade along both sides:

IMG_3192.jpg

Centre section removed:

IMG_3196.jpg

Area around 'bends' thinned on reverse with a curved blade:

IMG_3197.jpg

And front and rear sections carefully bent to shape - to be ultimately boxed in with styrene sheet:

IMG_3198.jpg

Better?

Iain

And I've been looking at the oil cooler - and *possibly* finding an easy fix - subject to confirmation of dimensions.

I've assembled the kit item - and, yes - this is of the type more commonly fitted to Spit Vs. Have to say - mouldings are a little crude - but clean up OK. Here it is in situ on the Revell wing:

IMG_3188.jpg

And on it's lonesome. My theory is I can make this an early type with minimal work - we'll see!

IMG_3189.jpg

Comparison with the oil cooler moulding on the older Revell/Hasegawa 'hybrid' Mk I/IIa - absolutely no guarantees this is the correct shape - but makes interesting comparison - and may support 'simple fix' theory:

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg

More when, well, I guess, there's more!  :)

I'm off to work on the pit (and not get sidetracked - again!!).  :frantic:

Iain

Lovely work Iain

I see that old wing is the start of a Spitfire prototype build with the extended radiator front .?

Appreciate the work you are putting in and sharing with us..

Matt

I see that old wing is the start of a Spitfire prototype build with the extended radiator front .?

Well spotted Matt - the Paragon conversion. I may have another crack using the new Revell kit as a base - and I've got decals for her now...

Anyway - another project for the *pile*  :mental:

Iain

Hi Iain.

Take care with the so called Hasegawa mkI/II! In fact the wing and its oil cooler is closer to a MkVa. So it is not surprising Hasegawa also released the kit as a MkVa with Bader markings. I think a comparison with the oil cooler of the Revell sixties kit would be more appropriate. BTW the MkI correction resin set made by MDC for the Hasegawa kit includes a copy of this oil cooler.

Thierry