Revell 1:32 Spitfire IIa with some 'improvements'

Iain

Thanks Thierry - as said - I am wary!

For some reason I think I've got some of the MDC parts somewhere - but can I find them???  :frantic:

In other news - the decals for 65 Sqn P7665 - only include the 'East India Squadron' titles for one side - they should be on both.

p7665a.jpg

p7665c.jpg

p7665b.jpg

p7665d.jpg

And all the instrument decals are drying  :)

Iain

Cheers Derek - I can't tell you how reassuring that is!!  :thumbsup:

As long as we're not talking about parallel lines - but 10 miles apart!  ;)

Iain

Phew, we managed to avoid the Blondie connection! (No worries, we have good sep :)).

I have already given a first impression of the kit, the next stage is to see how it stacks up against drawings and other kits - in much the same way that you and Jenn have done. This will be followed by correction of observed anomalies and finally how to make the kit represent a BoB Mk.I aircraft.

Cheers

Derek

And I think I've dropped a whatsit with the position of the seat armour I've added - needs to come apart... :doh:

EDIT - all taken apart - cleaned up and re-sprayed. I'd mounted the plate vertically on the fuselage former - behind seat mechanism. It should, of course, be mounted at an angle - behind the seat - between it and the mechanism. Surprised nobody spotted the 'deliberate' error??  :whistle:

Right - back to that panel...

Iain

Last update for the weekend - and hoping to get the airframe together by next weekend.

Seat armour removed and seat mechanism re-fitted:

IMG_3200.jpg

Kit instruments used - removed from full panel decal using a punch and die set. If the recesses for the main instruments weren't so deep - and differences between panel instrument sizes as moulded - and the decals - I may have used the full panel decals as is - with lots of Micr-Sol.

IMG_3199.jpg

Panel as is at present - glossy surfaces make it look rough - but with a little neatening, more details and a matt varnish she'll start to come to life:

IMG_3201.jpg

Right - off to bed methinks...

Iain

Hi all,

A little progress this evening...

Seat back marked out and 'upholstery' scribed - followed by work with file and sandpaper. More like the original now:

IMG_3202.jpg

And assembled:

IMG_3203.jpg

Started looking at the wheels and, as reported elsewhere, the hubs are a poor shape - bulging out rather than being 'dished' in. Quick thought have me looking at mating Hasegawa outer hub/tyre with Revell's rears - but found the Revell tyre smaller in diameter. Will probably go Hasegawa - but will need to make up rear hubs to mount to legs...

IMG_3204.jpg

Angled 'wheel liners' fitted - no drama.

Radiator duct sides boxed in with 10 thou sheet and neatened up. Now drying...

IMG_3205.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

Further to oil cooler photos/thoughts earlier I've started to mod the kit item. Nose, round, intake removed - and kit cooler cut horizontally before removing material to reduce height and re-shape front. Still a work in progress:

IMG_3207.jpg

Tail wheel leg assembled - and I can confirm it can be slid in place *after* the fuselage is together.

And - yes - am aware of Barracuda's ace new parts - but want to see what I can improve from the kit.

More next time!  ;)

Iain