What are we actually missing in 1/32?

airscale

Thierry, I am a very slow builder as well - I am working on my X-31 since 2007 or so... but I have to admit that having fun building a model is more important to me than having a large number of finished models on my cabinet. Although I start feeling the need of finishing something as well from time to time...

Soooooo, how is a potential manufacturer going to whittle that lot down to one possible subject for a kit project? What criteria? how to measure those criteria? Then how to gather the relevant information?

Just asking....

Tim

I guess it's the application of some business case variables

1. market size ie how many HK B17's / B25s sold would guide 'big props' demand, or Trumpeter A6 Intruders for 'big jet demand' etc

2.production costs - this is the dark art of which sages speak

3. market & distribution - see 2

If i were stabbing at it, I think the list below would guide my roadmap... but then I have no idea on any of the variables, just an idea on how to arrive at decisions...

LSP2_zps035ec6ec.jpg

Oh, and before anyone asks it's just a 5 minute illustration - not an invitation I am throwing out there to debate sales volumes, RRPs or investment costs or relevent merits of any one kit's position in the list!!!

Peter

I think the development cost may be even higher, Peter. I have worked as a project development engineer for a major model car manufacturer for several years and the mould making cost for a standard 1/43 scale die cast car was always around 50.000 - 60.000$. Taking into account that such a model had around 50-70 parts each and that every single mould cavity makes the mould making more expensive, think again for a model which has 200+ parts... 1/32 is a difficult scale for manufacturers IMO. There is a reason why Trumpeter is releasing much less large scale kits nowadays than in its early days...

Soooooo, how is a potential manufacturer going to whittle that lot down to one possible subject for a kit project? What criteria? how to measure those criteria? Then how to gather the relevant information?

Just asking....

Tim

I'm not sure any of that really matters. Although statistics and market analysis go into it, the upper end of the market at least is driven by quality rather than subject.

A "near perfect" model which is a pleasure to build will do better at the top end of the market than one which is inaccurate and/or a poor fit, meaning a sooper-dooper kit of the Fairey Barracuda would probably outperform a poorly done Firefly, or perfect Su-15 Flagon a crepe rendition of an F-4.

As long as the die are rolled at regular intervals, something wonderful on the wish list will emerge, sooner or later.

Tony

Also, I think you miss out out on that unquantifiable resource, passion. I look at that list, and 95% of it leaves me completely cold. I bet that is the same for everyone, except it is a different 95%, every time!!

Unless the organisation has some real fire in their belly about their subject, it will be a mediocre product. If it ever gets finished....

Tim

And another thing; access to reference material. I would love to make a Vultee Vengeance at some point, but with the only example in the world being on the opposite side of the globe, I can't just nip over on the Suzuki and take a few snaps...

The Fleet Air Arm museum however, is only 40 miles away...... 

Just saying.....

Tim

I suspect the former, but actually both would be cool.

One would think. But, the only other person to respond to that question seemed to want both, but would prefer the biplane:

I want them both. Definitely want the biplane with "Cmdr, USS Enterprise" on the side and the great big blue triangle instead of a chevron on the top wing. The SBC-3/4 is out as a vac kit from Combat and is not impossibly horrible to build, once you fill the Matchbox type panel lines, so I don't really expect an injection kit anytime soon.

The WWII SB2C-X would please quite a few people, especially with nice detail on those faded red insides of the perforated flaps. Bring it on.

Tnarg

I guess it isn't as obvious as one might think... :shrug:

D

funny thing is, I took a look at the 2011 wishlist pinned in the 'Discussion' area and found this lot released in the last 3 years...

unbelievable, and I bet we never saw many of these coming - so spirits up lads!

Focke Wulf Ta 183 Huckebein

So did I miss this one?

Who makes a Ta 183 in 1/32nd?????

this one is for you Roy!

royboy_zps8446e7ef.jpg

all I need is a pot of cash and oodles of free time...

You naughty boy!

You mustn't tempt me with such things, been down this road before.

Looks mighty nice though doesn't it, if only............................ :wub:

You naughty boy!

You mustn't tempt me with such things, been down this road before.

Looks mighty nice though doesn't it, if only............................ :wub:

Sure Does!

I never even wanted a Blenheim, 'til I saw that "box art".

Makes me think of the exciting, dynamic Revell 32nd scale art of the late 1960's.

Mike

Sure Does!

I never even wanted a Blenheim, 'til I saw that "box art".

Makes me think of the exciting, dynamic Revell 32nd scale art of the late 1960's.

Mike

The Roy Cross artwork for Airfix in the 60's was pretty cool too!

This man was responsible for removing much pocket money from a 'vulnerable' 10 year old in those days.

Happy times.    :punk: