AFV A-10 Canopy

zerosystem

It's quite wrong, being that's an F-16D canopy  :hmmm:   I've seen the A-10 one on EBAY and it looks very much like the Kit.  BTW, I like their so-called "Have Glass II"  canopy coating... That's really not the case as HAVE GLASS program was part of an overall program to the aircraft, before the tint was applied in the very first Block 15 F-16As.

That eBay link piccie *appears* to show the standard, incorrect, Trumpy clear parts (can't confirm exactly as I don't have the parts in front of me right now) - but certainly looks to have the too-wide front screen).

I've got the Squadron vac one somewhere - a lot better than the kit one...

Intrigued about this coating?

Iain

It looks like they are some how acquiring the canopies only from kit manufactures, and just spray coating or coating these canopies by submersion. Comparing the A-10 kit canopy, the sprue runs, layout, and shape are the same. Notice how the 32nd scale canopies are for Trumpeter and Academy and the 48th scale Hobby Boss only. You probably won't see canopies for Tamiya kits under the AFV Label.

There may be a fundamental flaw in their approach as you still need to remove the canopy seam in most of the canopies offered, which will destroy the tint coatings unless of course if the canopy plastic is actually tinted, or the tint is added to the inside only; then sanding the seams out would not be a problem.

Not sure about market for this, as the so-called HAVE GLASS (it's actually a PACER program) tint comes in many forms and later canopies including the F-16 have embedded tints of very light blue and greens. That; and I prefer to do my own tints and/or polishes. That being said, they do provide a source for replacement canopies, which I am looking at acquiring for a couple of subjects.

Mike V

So from the guys image, unless the 1:1 A-10 canopy (Im no A-10 SME so please correct me if im wrong here) has a giant seem down the middle as well, and if this IS just a coating, how do you get rid of the seem without removing the coating you just spent all that extra loot to get?

$_12.JPG

AFV acquired standard canopies from Academy and Trumpeter/Hobbyboss and applyed a coating INSIDE (the inner surface). You can remove the seam on the exterior leaving the the internal coating untouched. This is what they wrote

Looks like I was wrong, immersed in stealth for too long!

So Have Glass II means just that: "I have a second canopy set". And it's tinted on the *inside* so you can remove the seam on the outside - aha!

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/have-glass-ii-canopy-tinting/17727

Tony

Edited by Tony T

Oh wow! I have been campaigning for years for an accurate scratch-proof style coating for modern jet canopies. This is extremely encouraging.

I approached opticians to see if the coating applied to spectacles could be adapted but no joy. I spoke to the Alclad II rep four or five years ago at the UK Nats but they have n't done anything. Now at long last it would seem that some enterprising genius has managed to produce something suitable. Deep joy!

Many thanks for the heads-up Peter. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Oh wow! I have been campaigning for years for an accurate scratch-proof style coating for modern jet canopies. This is extremely encouraging.

I approached opticians to see if the coating applied to spectacles could be adapted but no joy. I spoke to the Alclad II rep four or five years ago at the UK Nats but they have n't done anything. Now at long last it would seem that some enterprising genius has managed to produce something suitable. Deep joy!

Many thanks for the heads-up Peter. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Looks like the F-117A would be one of the greatest beneficiaries.

Pity there isn't a deal with Tamiya in place.

Tony