Expensive....

wunwinglow

An interesting and revealing thread. I'm somewhere between "modest", and "starting to go a little crazy", with my stash. I have actually hunted down old kits like the Heller Connie, and Revell Hornet with Doolittle Raiders, but they either aren't made any more, or have good memories for me; good boxart is a plus. I have sold kits at shows to cover unexpected expenses; the challenge then is to NOT go and buy a bunch of stuff because one has a fat stack of money in the pockets. I'm prolly happiest looking through the box under the table for hard to find mags, bits, and oddments. I have only 23 WNW kits, and as of now only want about 7-8 more, but the new stuff coming out can be very tempting....

When I go to my great reward, my son will deal with the accumulated model stuff acquired over my life, and if he sells it all off, then it will be found money for him. I'm OK with that.

NOW, let's get to trading!....

An interesting and revealing thread. I'm somewhere between "modest", and "starting to go a little crazy", with my stash. I have actually hunted down old kits like the Heller Connie, and Revell Hornet with Doolittle Raiders, but they either aren't made any more, or have good memories for me; good boxart is a plus. I have sold kits at shows to cover unexpected expenses; the challenge then is to NOT go and buy a bunch of stuff because one has a fat stack of money in the pockets. I'm prolly happiest looking through the box under the table for hard to find mags, bits, and oddments. I have only 23 WNW kits, and as of now only want about 7-8 more, but the new stuff coming out can be very tempting....

When I go to my great reward, my son will deal with the accumulated model stuff acquired over my life, and if he sells it all off, then it will be found money for him. I'm OK with that.

NOW, let's get to trading!....

Agreed! I just traded one of my many kits of the old Revell 1/32 Spitfire and a sheet of F4F decals for a pair of 1/32 wooden floats from an airplane carved in the Philippines.  That was a good trade for me because I am working on the aircraft of the Vulgarian Force. Vulgaria, being a land locked country in the Balkans and pretty well hidden (you cannot get there from here and once there cannot ever get out) within the impassable Vulgarian Mountain Range and has many small lakes but little flat land. So their emphasis is the production of amphibian multi wing aircraft. The floats allow them to land and hide their airplanes in the many small lakes and the multiple wings allow them to make short take offs and landings. 

Thus I am always looking for 1/32 and 1/24 scale floats to make their aircraft into amphibians. For 20+ years I have been accumulating "distressed" kits to make aircraft for their Air Force. As of now I have maybe a dozen Spitfires, half a dozen F4Fs, P-40's, F4Us, Stukas, P-36s, P-47s, etc. all made by Revell USA in the 1960 era. I purchased Larry Hawkin's parts boxes of British and Russian planes.  All I need now are the floats.

So I happily trade.

Stephen

I have anywhere between 150 and 250 unbuilt kits of aircraft, tanks and ships of all scales. For those worried about how much they spend on models and were not effected by my idea that you can't take your money with you when you're dead, write down everything you spend each week, everything. I bet most of us would find at least 50-100 bucks that we just piss away on food or other crap. You could then comfortably buy a kit a week without damaging your budget.

Guest Peterpools

A paper trail ... never. Too painful and could be incriminating. I try to keep track of everything I buy but I do it mentally. As I keep getting older and older, it's hard to remember, what I was trying to remember. :mental:

Peter

Ive had to resort to a 5-6 page Excel report and (fairly) religiously add any kit, accessory or new decal set to it, on its own tab. I have also attempted to keep track of the stash with a dedicated stash "program" but Excel seemed to work so well for it, and was not propriety nor did it cost anything extra, unlike excel.

Well at the moment I'm looking at E-bay , and various on line retailers, and looking at the kits available , and then I think , "No , why bother"... Sacrilege I know,

I'll sit at the office , plan projects , source the components , cost the whole thing out , and then scrap it before any money has been spent. I've been like this for ages now , at least a year.

I don't have that big a stash of 32nd scale , but still a fair bit of 48th aircraft and 35th AFV, but what really dampened my spending enthusiasm were my infrequent trips to the loft where the bulk of my built kits are , 3 Tamiya Eagles, 8 Tamiya F-4s multiple Hornets , F-18's and so on. all sitting gathering dust ..

Its difficult to justify to yourself and your wife why you want Another duplicate of something you've built mutiple times already , I cam down from one of these tripe swearing off buying forever , well that hasn't happened , but there have been months and months this year where I've bought nothing at all , my wife asked me back in September what I wanted as a Christmas kit, and it took me until November to settle on a Tamiya Spit, my first  one BTW!

I know I've spent FAR too much over the years on this hobby , and because of that the pendulum seems to have swung to the opposite extreme , for years I've lusted after a 32nd A-6 , now its available , Meh.. its weird 

Maybe at the age of 55 I've come to conclusion that I don't have an unlimited modelling budget , and financial security means more that the latest wundekit  no matter how good it is .. maturity... its not all its cracked up to be ....!

........................ for years I've lusted after a 32nd A-6 , now its available , Meh.. its weird

I was GOING to say...............Even with the high shipping, Id venture to say it might come out on the good end of the stick VS the same kit at normal prices from elsewhere....................since now seems to be the hr to buy an A-6:

Squadron now has them for $99.44 USD

However, I just threw in a random Aberdeen post code (AB11 6HH) for shipping and that lovely number changed to $174.00 USD shipped to Scotland. :( Boo

To be honest , the way i feel these days the LHS, assuming i had one, could have it on the shelf for  and regardless of price , I'd still walk away ..my need to buy is SO sated at the moment , I really can't be tempted...am I ill???

Oh and Brian its AB12 , (the south side close to the sea!), $174 is the reason US model shops are a non started for me these days !

Well at the moment I'm looking at E-bay , and various on line retailers, and looking at the kits available , and then I think , "No , why bother"... Sacrilege  the bulk of my built kits are , 3 Tamiya Eagles, 8 Tamiya F-4s multiple Hornets , F-18's and so on. all sitting gathering dust ..

Well, consider all the money we spend on food.

...and where that winds up :rolleyes:

:whistle:

Well, consider all the money we spend on food.

...and where that winds up :rolleyes:

:whistle:

If we start applying that criteria to everything, hell why bother doing anything at all as you're just gunna die.

Our mortality is assured, but isn't there a balance to be struck somewhere between the continual need to buy new stuff , and the need to

a -  stay financially solvent 

b  - not die surrounded by a mound of plastic that never got built ..

Remember he who dies with the most toys is still dead..

And on that happy and joyful note .. ..... 

Edited by Scotsman