How do you guys plan on displaying the BIG kits?

dmthamade

I did the hobby shop crawl yesterday, and between the three of them they had examples of the latest 1/32 behemoths. I'm curious how you guys plan on displaying the finished builds like the B-17. I mean the wingspan is 3ft+!!! Do you have big display cases, hang them from the ceiling, build an addition to the house, buy a second house.... I would like switch genres from jets to WWII fighters and twin engines but display space is holding me back, especially with the twins. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Don

I suppose I'm luckier than most modelers in that I have a large rec room/family room that currently isn't being used, except to display some previously completed 1/16 armor models. For the B-17, I plan on getting a table in an appropriate size from Ikea. And since I want to display my B-17 as a diorama, with ground equipment and crew alongside (assuming someone eventually makes some), I'm going to cover the table top with something that looks like scale concrete as a base. Finally, I'll have a clear plastic cover made to protect the whole affair. Same for any future releases, like an "F" or a Lancaster.

Another concern I have is my workbench. I used to think it was huge, but after comparing it to the B-17, I've come to the conclusion that a major expansion is called for.

Jerry Peterson

I currently have very little display space available, so until this improves, I'll be making a very nice double model carry case to put them in as you can remove the wings and put them to the side of the models for storage.

One side will be for the B17 the other side for the Lanc! Simples!

I just enjoy building 'em, I'll worry about the displaying later on.

Happy days.

Good question!! ... It will be diorama'd for sure!!

I'll need limited PE, metal landing gear, brass barrels, a 1/32 bomb trolley and tractor + either a full bomber crew (external) or some maintainence crew first!

(same with the Lanc, incidently)

I won't be building it for quite some time in any case ... I bought one for the stash on the first run just in case HK suddenly does a backflip and decides it's not going to punch any more out after the initial fervour dies down. I noticed that the Mitchel Bomber is now out of production as of 26/07 (there's a notice on their German website) ...

Cheers,

Rog :)

I plan on building a new coffee table for my living room that will have a wood frame with plexiglass top and sides. The B-17 and B-25 will be on display inside of the table - you can look through the top or the sides to see them.

The P-61 and Lancaster, along with the rumored Mosquito will probably require a re-build of the TV/stereo stand using the same idea... :)

-Ro

All excellent replies!! I like the idea of a diorama, it seems these kits would be the centerpiece of anybodys collection. I could see someone devoting a big area of the house to displays, like model railroaders do. For me, the B-17 is out of the question, but singles would be no problem. The twins i would have to build a new display case...something to think about as i think for me, jets have run their course.

Don

I have two VERY large (comparatively speaking to most display cabs) display cabinets, but I have figured up room-wise, that the HKM B-25 is the limit for the max sized airframe I can fit in them. That means for me the He-219s, B-25s, Mosquito, Ju-88 sized airframes are fine, but the Lancs, Forts and the like are right-out as to being able to put them away dust free.

That being said, I dont really have much interest in those, so the worry of what to do with them is non-existent for me since I cant really justify the expense VS the interest (or lack there of really) I have in the subjects.

Both my wife and I have discovered the ideal solution.... Kick the kids out. Now we have four bedrooms and a study between us. One for her and one for me.... She likes her stuff and I like mine.

Alternate solution. Ask the local hobby shop to display if for you! Any excuse will do.

I'm fortunate in that I have a garage all to myself, since we keep the car outside. About 2/3rds are taken up by a train layout, (under construction), but that leaves me room to build shelves. I plan to build one large shelf in each corner near the ceiling, one for theB-17, the other for the cannon nosed Mitchel, if they ever finally release it.

I have a display case that will fit a B-25/He-219/Ju-88/P-61 and most importantly my Gotha, but That is the limit. Prolly what I'll do is get an IKEA for my figgys and armor, and keep planes in the big case.