JA 37 D(I) - 1/24 ---- SOD

Thanks for your encouraging words! Very much appreciated.

Are you not going to do a cockpit ?

Of course I'll be doing the cockpit, Thomas. For the time beeing the two fuselage halves are just taped together. Also I just inserted the frames in the cockpit area temporarily until the planks are in place and sanded smooth. Then these frames will be removed leaving just the outer fuselage shell and voilá, there is your cockpit tub... Is that explanation understandable? My english detoriates faster than my eyesight...

Cheers

Rainer

• 1 month later...

Dear fellow modellers,

it's been a year to the day that I started this build thread... And all I have so far is a nearly, but not quite finished fuel tank and two fuselage halves that need a lot more filling and sanding before they will be presentable. But this build is not yet shelved!

After all the sanding of the fuselage I needed a break so I started to build the Raketstol 37 just to do some detail work. Raketstol translates literally into "Rocketchair" or the german word "Raketenstuhl", though the strict german term for ejection seat is "Schleudersitz". Well, how's that for a little language lesson? :innocent:

Before I post pictures however, I wan't to catch up on all the terrific builds that I missed during my almost two month absence from the forums (I had to earn some money, but heck, I guess you are all too familiar with this annoying part of life :fight: ).

So stay tuned and thanks for all the support and encouragement!

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

Hi all,

after sanding and filliing and more sanding I needed something different. So I started to build the Raketsol 37. Unfortunately this bang seat is not well documented. Though my efforts are not purely fictional I'd say there is a lot of artistic freedom involved.

Special thanks to Lars Befring who provided me with some drawings that proofed invaluable.

Ok, here is where I am at the moment. There is still a lot to do, but I'm quite happy with the results so far (I dare say it's one of the better 1:24 renditions of the Raketstol 37 out there :rofl: ):

Raketstol37_01.jpg

The drogue chute compartment is not really good, but it will be mostly covered by the two head rest pieces. So I don't worry much.

Raketstol37_02.jpg

Raketstol37_03.jpg

Raketstol37_04.jpg

Raketstol37_05.jpg

Some brackets and especially the rocket motor are still missing. And the seat packs and associated belts of course. But it's a start and it was a lot of fun so far.

Hope you like it.

Cheers

Rainer

Oh Boy!

The bang seat looks incredibly good to me, fictional or not!

Can you please give a little more explanation about what appears to be brass nuts and bolts and the riveting on the aluminum areas of the head rest and back of the seat?  I know this is 1/32nd but the amount of detail you've put it makes it looks like 1/6th scale! it's sooo good.

Awesome job so far!

Fab

Oh Boy!

The bang seat looks incredibly good to me, fictional or not!

Can you please give a little more explanation about what appears to be brass nuts and bolts and the riveting on the aluminum areas of the head rest and back of the seat?  I know this is 1/32nd but the amount of detail you've put it makes it looks like 1/6th scale! it's sooo good.

Awesome job so far!

Fab

It's 1/24 scale Fab, which makes all the more impressive in my books :speak_cool:

Derek

Rainer ,

The entire project is just jaw dropping. Very well executed and very detailed.  One can really tell by looking at your work that you love what you are making a model of.  :) 

Keep up the inspirational work!

Paul 

Thanks a lot, guys!

Can you please give a little more explanation about what appears to be brass nuts and bolts and the riveting on the aluminum areas of the head rest and back of the seat?

I used brass rivets and fake brass hex bolts (fake because the shaft is not threaded) for the details on the back of the seat. Shaft diameters of the rivets are 0.2 mm and 0.3 mm, head diameters 0.3 and 0.4 mm respectivly. The hex bolts have wrench sizes of 0.6 mm and 0.8mm. You can get those rivets and bolts for example here.

I made the rivets on the head rest and the back of the seat by carefully prodding a thin sheet of styrene (0.15mm), covered with aluminum foil, with a sewing needle. The trick is not to puncture the material but to just make an indentation.

And Derek is right, it's 1:24 scale, so that seat is pretty big. I'll post a pic with a scale reference so you get a better idea of the actual size.

One can really tell by looking at your work that you love what you are making a model of.  :) 

Thanks Paul, but next time I'll choose a subject that is better documented than the Viggen. There is so much guess work involved in building this model... We desperately need a "Modern Viggen Guide" (Jake, do you hear me?).

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann