JA 37 D(I) - 1/24 ---- SOD

Lovely work Rainer :goodjob:

I really like the frames that you have made. I know exactly what you mean about constant refinement of shape of the airframe, which is why, like you, I attempt to get the shape as accurate as I can before I start anything. However, as we both know too well, hardly any drawing in existence shows truly accurate cross sections, so  we have no option but to correct and develop as we go along.

Where you lead, I shall follow (unless it is a cliff edge of course)...

Derek

great work nice to see some progress.

keep going.

Mark

Thanksa lot Mark. I'll try to keep going, well, ya know how it is...

I love the amount of effort you are putting into this and I really hope you will reach the finish line with this. Did I tell you that I really like it when non-Swedes are into Swedish aircraft? I wish you all the best.

/Stoffe

Hi Stoffe,

well, I always had a sweet spot for the Viggen. It was one of those aircraft of my youth I always liked for whatever reason...

Lovely work Rainer :goodjob:

I really like the frames that you have made. I know exactly what you mean about constant refinement of shape of the airframe, which is why, like you, I attempt to get the shape as accurate as I can before I start anything. However, as we both know too well, hardly any drawing in existence shows truly accurate cross sections, so  we have no option but to correct and develop as we go along.

Where you lead, I shall follow (unless it is a cliff edge of course)...

Derek

Thanks for your kind words, Derek. Not sure though, that I can lead here...

I'm afraid, that I desperately need more information on this bird. So far quite a bit of what I'm doing is guess work...

Cheers

Rainer

Excellent work Rainer! Most impressive. Your ability to visualise, and then map out what you're doing is awesome.

Kev

Thanks, Kev. I used to be an aerospace engineer in my former life, so it seems that at least some of my abilities are still tugged away somewhere in my old brain...

I managed to do some work on the fuselage section. Here is what I have so far:

section_3L_01.jpg

section_3L_02.jpg

section_3L_03.jpg

This is the port side of the fuselage center section (the engine compartment). If you think it's a bit rough then that's because, ah... it's a bit rough. I'm not putting much effort in the structure (in terms of beauty) as nothing will be seen anyway once the skin panels are in place... But it is sturdy!

Well, the best laid plans... yada yada yada. It turned out that some of the frames, to be honest, most actually, had to be modified to result in smooth transitions between them. You may or may not have noticed, that I have not yet taken care of the main u/c bay which will take up about three quarters of the lower part of this fuselage section. I first want to get the overall shape as correct as possible before I tackle the gear bay. However, that will require some serious surgery...

The base plate on which the frames are mounted, has been pre-cut so I can break out the center part (with the red letters on it) to make room for the engine. But that will have to wait until the skin panels are on and sanded into shape and the starboard side of this section is in the same state of construction.

Thanks for looking

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

• 4 weeks later...

Hi fellow modellers,

I hope you all had a merry Christmas with lots of turkey (allways remember: you don't gain weight between Christmas and New Year but between New Year and Christmas!) and even more styrene or resin under the tree (me, I got 2 square meters of styrene sheet and a nice selection of Evergreen rod, tubes and channels :frantic: )

Derek, Hakan, Kev, Richard, Loic, Maru: Thank you very much for your kind comments and for your interest in this project.

It's been a while since the last update but I didn't want to bother you with more frames and stringers. It gets a bit boring... But I did make some progress and here is where I am at the moment.

Here is the aft section that will house the afterburner can.

section_4L_01.jpg

Next is the fwd mid section, the intake section:

section_2L_01.jpg

And here two views of the cockpit section:

section_1L_01.jpg

section_1L_02.jpg

The hatched areas (cockpit tub and NLG well) have been pre-cut and some gentle persuasion with a knife should be enough to remove them once the skin panels are glued in place.

Here is the complete structure of the port fuselage half:

fuse_L_cpl_01.jpg

fuse_L_cpl_02.jpg

And just to show you how big that bird actually is I've included my clumsy hand in the next pic:

fuse_L_cpl_03.jpg

I had to modify about half of the frames (as compared to my original drawings) to get the transitions between them as smoth as possible and to match the pictures I have. A kingdom for correct cross section drawings! But I think that I've captured the general shape of the Viggen reasonably well if not entirely correct. As long as it looks like a Viggen I'll be happy enough.

Next is the intake. I've not yet made up my mind how to do it. Those suckers suck (pun intended)! Once I've found a solution for the intakes I'll just have to muster all the mojo I can to do it all over again for the starboard side of the fuselage :BANGHEAD2: . How I wish to do some details. That is so much more fun than frames and stringers...

Thanks for looking

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

guess it´s gonna be hard to get the other fuse half symmetrical?

/Stoffe

Hi Stoffe,

yes, that's a bit of a challenge. But I did all the frames for the starboard side already and took care, that they are symmetrical. And I took careful notes of the necessary modifications. So I'm confident, that both halves will be reasonably symmetrical.

Cheers

Rainer