Thanks Derek. Rapid indeed! Here's another update. Firstly, the cockpit has been given a wash, and what detail parts I could reach have been painted up:

LIFcTM.jpg

a8Mn7R.jpg

xyhejb.jpg

Apologies for the lousy photos. I've also installed the rearmost of the white metal bulkheads. I gave the interior a a couple of light squirts with Future before applying the wash, but it still stained the paint. A couple of reasons for that I think. One, the resin is not super smooth inside. Two, I deliberately used quite a dry mix for the interior green, as I didn't want a thin paint running everywhere while trying to squirt it into all available openings. So this combination left the painted interior slightly rough and textured, and my light coats of clear gloss were probably not enough to mitigate that. I thought about brushing the Future on, but access is awkward, and some of the PE parts are a bit fragile (I managed to knock one of them off while applying the wash with a brush).

A third important reason though, is that I suspect I didn't leave the Future to cure long enough before applying the wash. Too impatient! If you make that mistake, the wash can potentially settle into the still-soft clear layer, effectively staining it and making it impossible to remove. So, lesson learned...again!

Anyway, I don't mind the look, even if what I wanted was much cleaner than what I got. The darkened XF-71 looks quite a bit more like Humbrol 78 now anyway.

OK, the other thing I've managed to achieve is getting the PE flap details installed into the wing recesses:

flwNsY.jpg

These have been give a coat of Mr Metal Primer. Fit was largely very good. I've used CA gel here, but am hoping to lay my hands on some JB Weld soon, which I think will be a better option in the future. One small issue though, and that's a small but noticeable section of peekaboo on the port side:

licsVE.jpg

I guess I'll just have to file that back, but I'll clean up and test fit the aileron first, just in case it's not necessary (wishful thinking I suspect).

I need to finish off everything for the cockpit so I can get it installed. This mainly involves the IP and seat harness, but I need to fashion a couple of levers too.

More soon!

Kev

Thomas, no idea about the asymmetric flaps, but you can see that the oversized wing radiator cuts the starboard one almost in half. Very odd!

A question though: what colour would the interior of the flaps be? Interior green, or something else?

Kev

Thomas, no idea about the asymmetric flaps, but you can see that the oversized wing radiator cuts the starboard one almost in half. Very odd!

A question though: what colour would the interior of the flaps be? Interior green, or something else?

Kev

I reckon this one being an early one would have been unpainted aluminium or silver Kevin.

Brad

I reckon this one being an early one would have been unpainted aluminium or silver Kevin.

Brad

Thanks Brad. The instructions say interior green (H78), so I'm not sure at this stage.

Kev

Thanks Brad. The instructions say interior green (H78), so I'm not sure at this stage.

Kev

I think that I agree with Brad on this one. On balance, as the aircraft lower surfaces were sprayed with high speed silver lacquer paint, it is likely that the flap interiors were also sprayed the same colour at the same time (The wheel wells, legs and inner doors appear to be the same colour as the underwing surface).

Derek

Thanks for your input Derek. I'm a little way off from needing to make a decision, but on balance I'd prefer to go with the silver, partly because I think it will look better in context, but also because the Tamiya AS-12 will lay down and wear better on the PE than their acrylic XF-71 (if you look closely you can already see signs of wear and chipping from handling on the white metal cockpit bulkheads).

Anyway, since this is a Speed Spitfire, it calls for a Speed Build, right? So, let's see how I got on with the instrument panel. Firstly, the two PE parts were removed from the fret and given a quick airbrushed coat of Mr Metal Primer:

CRkyjG.jpg

Once dry, the two parts were glued together with CA, airbrushed with Gunze Tyre Black, and then given a light dry bush with Vallejo White. The kit supplies an instrument film of acetate sheet, so this was glued into position behind the the main assembly:

IIeom0.jpg

You'll notice that I haven't trimmed it at this stage. As the note on the acetate sheet suggests, I need to paint the back of it white, so leaving the extraneous part of the sheet intact gave me something to hold the part with while airbrushing the white on:

znhNvF.jpg

Disappointingly the dial detail doesn't show through at all, and I'm not sure why. It's not just a trick of the light or the camera; it's the same in person too. I thought fleetingly about placing some airscale decals in the holes, but the potential was there to really mess it up - especially if the fit wasn't close. Besides, I'm trying to stay as true as possible to the original kit, in effect making it a 'build review' to extend the in-box one I've already done on the website.

I trimmed the excess acetate with a small pair of cuticle scissors. Gluing the finished assembly to the white metal bulkhead proved to be problematic. Firstly, it had a natural curve upwards from the flat. Secondly, the PE tab that attaches the compass shelf to the bulkhead caused the IP to sit proud of the surface. That combination meant that it had to be bent down quite a way at the ends, and I had a bit of trouble getting it to stick down. I got there in the end, and here's the final result:

xkEW82.jpg

The instructions call for the compass to be 'pale blue'; for some reason I chose Vallejo Light Sky Blue, which to me looks totally wrong, and stands out like dog's balls! Well, I guess it's a splash of colour in an otherwise drab cockpit, but I reckon RLM 65 might've been a better choice. Wish I'd thought of it then, instead of now! The decal is supplied on a small supplementary sheet to the main one.

Anyway, at this point there was nothing left but to install it in the fuselage, and to be honest you don't even really need to use glue for this, so well does it click into place inside the the fuselage. I put a dab of CA gel at the top just to be sure, and slipped it into place:

jECMhg.jpg

RPKfCt.jpg

lmWsbB.jpg

A shame about the non-existent dial detail and the bright blue compass, but that can't be helped now. Not far off being able to install the rest of the cockpit now.

Thanks as always for looking!

Kev

Looking good, like a true spitfire cockpit.

You could consider the instrument decals from Airscale if the dial issue is bugging you. You probably even have enough space to maneuver them in to place if you've already glued the panel in place

-Mike

Looking good, like a true spitfire cockpit.

You could consider the instrument decals from Airscale if the dial issue is bugging you. You probably even have enough space to maneuver them in to place if you've already glued the panel in place

-Mike

As I mentioned in the post Mike, I considered the airscale decals, but I reckoned there was more scope to mess it up than save it. I couldn't be sure the airscale decals would fit. Plus, I'm having trouble with the acrylic paint chipping off the metal parts (both PE and white metal), so all the extra handling involved could have been a major problem in that regard. Of course, now that it's fitted, that's not so much of an issue, so perhaps I'll investigate that avenue. I used them in the IP I scratch-built for my Matchbox Spitfire, and you can see below how effective they are:

76q0iq.jpg

Kev

Too bad with the instruments Kevin, but the rest looks good.

I cannot shake the asymmetric flaps - that must have caused a rolling action when deployed... Anyone?

EDIT: Just dawned on me that if the radiator outlet moves in unison with the flaps it might not be that bad...

Edited by Thomas Lund

or perhaps the flap just sat over the sheet metal in that area- I remember seeing how McDonnell scabbed on air brakes to the Demon- Just put them on top of the wings, no need for actual wells for them to retract into.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/awa01/601-700/awa640-F3-Demon-Murph/02.jpg

Edited by Lee White

I like it! It looks good so far Kevin. I just wish these Aerotech kits weren't so dang expensive, I would like to give one of these racers a shot.

Looks great

Matt :party0023:

Thanks for you comments and input fellas. More progress! The instructions tell you to cut a 20mm section off the supplied wire (it's silver on the outside and brass/copper on the inside, so I'm not really sure what it's made of) to fashion the lever that goes to the left of the pilot's seat. This is what it looks like when you do though:

zDXdnW.jpg

It's way too long! By my estimation it should be more like 12mm long. So I grabbed an old pair of sprue cutters, nipped a few mm off the end, filed down the burr and repainted the cut end. Here's the finished cockpit ready to install:

9VQetq.jpg

It's not excessively detailed, and I've given it a very plain paint job, but I think it's pretty decent. I've just realised though that I've forgotten to fit the head rest, but that's easily done at any time.

I've decided to leave the instrument panel alone and keep moving, so here's the cockpit installed into the fuselage:

WNiMKi.jpg

DRnoLR.jpg

WnTfao.jpg

mn3gfA.jpg

I'm not sure where the trailing strap out the back is supposed to go, so if anyone has a clue, please let me know! Otherwise I'll leave it as is, as I don't think it actually looks wrong at all.

There's nothing now preventing me from putting the wings on, so that will be my next step!

Kev

Nice progress Kevin, I'm tempted to break out the Spitfire Prototype kit as you've made this one look so easy! ;)

Doug