1/32 Phantom FGR2 RAF 6 Squadron (1970/1971)

kitbasha

• 1 month later...

After the camo, I started what I thought would be an enjoyable 2-3 days applying the decals from the Wild Hare set. As mentioned in an earlier update, I decided to change the markings to the popular 41 Squadron 'Sharkmouth' FGR2, and use the conversion set decals. But, what should have taken 2-3 days, ended up taking around 4 weeks, the decals were soooooo thin and fragile, they cracked/split continually and were nigh on impossible to move into place, I really had to learn patience and take up a degree course in advanced jigsaw puzzles! Once applied, I had to spend a few more days painting in the lost decal detail with a fine brush. I copied the markings in the superb drawing of XV495 in one of my Phantom books, 'Phantom, Spirit in the Skies', I am not 100% certain if the markings are correct, as I have seen several photos of the real jet, and the 'zaps'/locally applied markings appeared and disappeared continually while it was in active service with 41 Squadron.

IMG_0002_zps87f8dfc0.jpg

IMG_0003_zpsee662888.jpg

IMG_0005_zps41159e3e.jpg

IMG_0001_zpsab3aa25a.jpg

After the camo, I started what I thought would be an enjoyable 2-3 days applying the decals from the Wild Hare set. As mentioned in an earlier update, I decided to change the markings to the popular 41 Squadron 'Sharkmouth' FGR2, and use the conversion set decals. But, what should have taken 2-3 days, ended up taking around 4 weeks, the decals were soooooo thin and fragile, they cracked/split continually and were nigh on impossible to move into place, I really had to learn patience and take up a degree course in advanced jigsaw puzzles! Once applied, I had to spend a few more days painting in the lost decal detail with a fine brush. I copied the markings in the superb drawing of XV495 in one of my Phantom books, 'Phantom, Spirit in the Skies', I am not 100% certain if the markings are correct, as I have seen several photos of the real jet, and the 'zaps'/locally applied markings appeared and disappeared continually while it was in active service with 41 Squadron.

IMG_0002_zps87f8dfc0.jpg

IMG_0001_zpsab3aa25a.jpg

Holy guacamole :wub:  :thumbsup: !!

Awesome! Beautiful work you've done indeed!

IMG_0002_zps87f8dfc0.jpg

IMG_0003_zpsee662888.jpg

IMG_0005_zps41159e3e.jpg

IMG_0001_zpsab3aa25a.jpg

Awesome work there Patrick :thumbsup:

1381311_477512292356966_520468413_n.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Oh lovely photo Derek! The 43 Sqn zap on the splitter plate is on the decal sheet, but there are others that don't appear. I wonder where DK got his references from? Thank you all for your positive words....I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished!!

Oh lovely photo Derek! The 43 Sqn zap on the splitter plate is on the decal sheet, but there are others that don't appear. I wonder where DK got his references from? Thank you all for your positive words....I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished!!

Hi Patrick,

It just so happened that I found this pic on face book shortly after reading your posts. Great work so far.

Derek