Foiled HKM B-25J Strafer - 345th BG Air Apaches - Lady LiL

Out2gtcha

For those who want to go the extra nine yards in detailing in their B-25 fuselage interiors, take a look at Evergreen strip styrene in .015 x .020 " (0.4 X 0.5 mm). To my eye, these strips look very close to stringers in 1/32 and should add a nice bit of detail in the open spaces between the ribs and longerons. Just the kind of detail that's sure to catch the judges' eyes at shows. Haven't tried it yet, but hope to once I get moved into new digs and have a real work bench. Has anyone used these strips to replicate stringers, and if so, how did they look when installed?

Jerry Peterson

Everything you've done so far is really good but I have to say those seats impress the hell out of me.

J

Wow, thats saying something Jerry. Thanks!

How bout this...............trade ya some of my PE prowess for some of our figure prowess? That large tanker figgie blew me away.

Brian,

Did you get the Eduard interior set? I am starting to collect the sets for my B-25 build and was wondering if you think the interior set is worth it?

I am really enjoying this build.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike. :D Kind of...........the only interior sets I got were the Eduard color interior, corrected seats, and to bolster some things, the Profimodeller strafer interior which I might add, has contributed some things, and Im quite pleased with, although its a bit expensive for what Im using.

These low level strafing missions like Lady went on Im sure required (or requested) as much armor for the crew as possible, so when the armored backrest for the pilot along with the armored bulkhead for the co-pilot/Navi is in place your view inside the rest of the interior behind the pit is VERY limited and to me was not really worth all that effort with so little of it showing.

The rest of the interior behind the bomb bay when assembled will be almost if not more hidden with your only real views into the rest of the plane being the small tail gunners glass turret (which is blocked by the tail gun/armor) and the waist gunners windows, when the .50s are in place and the small bulkhead are also very limiting to your view. With the solid strafer nose, your views to anything under the pit is nonexistent.

So a very long story not-so-short is no really, just the stuff that was going to be visible.

Great work on the seats love the weathering.

Love to see the rest.

Mark

Thanks Mark!

Glad to see your still around with all of the "expectant" activity around your house that im sure is occurring. :D

For those who want to go the extra nine yards in detailing in their B-25 fuselage interiors, take a look at Evergreen strip styrene in .015 x .020 " (0.4 X 0.5 mm). To my eye, these strips look very close to stringers in 1/32 and should add a nice bit of detail in the open spaces between the ribs and longerons. Just the kind of detail that's sure to catch the judges' eyes at shows. Haven't tried it yet, but hope to once I get moved into new digs and have a real work bench. Has anyone used these strips to replicate stringers, and if so, how did they look when installed?

Jerry Peterson

Yeah, Ive got a ton of the "L" angle, "U" angle single sided "T" formers for all that kind of thing, but as I noted above there is really honestly going to be so little of all of that visible in my strafer that Id rather put more effort into things that will be much more visible like the pit, and bomb bay.

After assisting with the US NATs in 2011 I got a good taste of what that caliber of judge seemed to be looking for...........

They didnt seem to be looking for the most detail necessarily, but the best done aircraft over all. I got some really good tips that year on what I did wrong. :(

Thats another reason I went to all of the trouble to fill in and smooth out the injector pin marks on the interior yet really didnt add anything extra back in the back.............most of the judges relayed they did take their pen lights and look in those areas and took points for exposed pin marks and seems on the interior, but never took points away for any detail that was not added in areas closed off and with so little view to it.

Basically it seemed like he was telling me to fix any and all seems and pin marks so things were smooth, but not to worry too much about adding mass detail in areas that were not exposed, open or very visible.

As long as the model was built right in those areas they wernt taking points off. Hard lesson learned from some previous models I did that I put a TON of work into areas like that, only to have points taken away for some minor little thing I did wrong, when I could have just spent that time fixing gaps/holes/pin marks and gained ALL those points back, with about 1/10th the effort. :(

I do however agree the evergreen strips of all various sizes work awesome for that kind of thing, and are great for the areas exposed missing that kind of detail. Im not sure if there will be room or not to add any (or needed) in the pit when Im done added all of the lead wire, PE, resin and the like. :hmmm:

Im hoping to grab the judges attentions with the sliding pilot and co-pilot open windows, seats and overall detail in the pit/bomb bay im adding.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ON TO PROGRESS!!

I started the weekends work off by getting the HGW seatbelts configured, cut out and weathered.
These things are actually quite nice, as they do have some fabric/stitching detail, as well as being textile, so they act and hang more like fabric and less like paper or metal. They take well to weathering and CA as well.
I got them installed on the seats, with the pilots having to go in prior to the armored backrest. The Co-pilot/Navi’s shoulder harness will be attached to the armored bulkhead behind him once the seats and bulkhead are assembled to the pit floor –

DSC00994.jpg

Once I had the Co-pilot/Navi’s lap belts and all of the pilots belts in I installed the armored back rest, and Im calling the seats done –

DSC01012.jpg

DSC01014.jpg

DSC01017.jpg

DSC01015.jpg

MORE………………….

Edited by Out2gtcha

Next up, I spent some time completing the center console, with the cowl flap actuators, gear lever, hydraulic pump, rudder/evo trim and emergency lock.
Im real pleased with the out-come, but was amazed when I figured up that I had about 8 hrs into this stupid center console alone, with re-shaping the hydraulic pump handle, and getting everything glued and painted and weathered it took a surprising amount of time………………but I LOVED doing it.
This is a mixture of OOB/Eduard/Profimodeller/scratch/spares bin –

DSC00998.jpg

DSC00999.jpg

DSC01001.jpg

Seats are set in place for posterity, and the beginnings of the main throttle housing is attached to the pit floor –

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01009.jpg

DSC01011.jpg

DSC01010.jpg

All for now ladies……………off to eat some lunch then Im throwing myself back at the pit!

Cheers,

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Outstanding. The weathering and detailing in the front office is beyond. Just fantastic work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm enjoying all the B-25 builds, as each has so much to offer.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

I really like what you have done so far with your B-25. I would like to offer you some advice.Most B-25J's had the same type seat as the pilot located in the co pilots position. The smaller seat was often seen in the B-25H. In " Warpath Across The Pacific" you can clearly see in many photos that the copilots seats was the same as the pilots seat in the B-25J.You can see the headrest through the cockpit windows etc. I hope this is of help to you and you are doing a wonderful build.