Foiled HKM B-25J Strafer - 345th BG Air Apaches - Lady LiL

Out2gtcha

Egads Brian, those photos look fantastic! The subtle weathering, shipping, and general wear looks REAL.

Thanks Man! Quite a compliment seeing some of your builds.

Could n't agree with Frank more.

One word: Awesomeness! :punk:

Thanks! :) nice of you

Brian

Outstanding. The weathering and detailing in the front office is beyond. Just fantastic work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm enjoying all the B-25 builds, as each has so much to offer.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Peter..............I hope we get to see more of your Albi soon. ;)

Looks great Brian. Nice work.

Thanks John, Your straffer is looking magnificent. Those cowls really look terrific.

Thanks for the reply Brian. I think I just saved $25.00. The seats and cockpit area look awesome!

Mike

Each to their own Mike. Id say if you want to add that detail in there, go for it! :thumbsup:

Wow, very nice

Can you explain how you did the worn thru paint? it's very convincing and I am not ashamed to say I want to copy it!! :wicked: :whistle:

Thanks Ron.

Really its a mix of the old hairspray technique and dry brushing. I used Tamiya aluminum acrylic then sealed that with some clear, then decanted some hairspray from the bottle into a medicine cup and shot it straight through the airbrush and let it dry. I then shot a mix of my interior green up (Tam cockp green + olive green) over that. and let it dry.

Then used a combo of cocktail stick soaked in normal tap water, and some mini-Qs or basically mini cotton swabs with a teeny tiny cotton point on them, dipped in water and started scratching in the normal wear places. :)

DITTO!!!

See above :)

Me too please!

You're making me want to build mine as a warbird so I don't have to worry about all that weathering :P

Carl

See above, above. :)

Brian, excellent work, my friend. Not only does it look GOOD, it looks REAL...............Harv :popcorn:

Thanks Harv! I think we are all waiting for you to put on some black paint! (hint hint)

I really like what you have done so far with your B-25. I would like to offer you some advice.Most B-25J's had the same type seat as the pilot located in the co pilots position. The smaller seat was often seen in the B-25H. In " Warpath Across The Pacific" you can clearly see in many photos that the copilots seats was the same as the pilots seat in the B-25J.You can see the headrest through the cockpit windows etc. I hope this is of help to you and you are doing a wonderful build.

Thanks for the advice.

I have however found documentation (including some stuff from the interwebs) that says the H models and a lot of the later produced 8 gun nose J ships that came straight out of the factory that way had the shorty co-pilots seat and armored bulkhead.

badinfig2033.jpg

Also, I have some period pics of the lady and although they may not be at the best angle to see the co-pilots seat, you cant see any headrest or a shadow of one blocking the light in the co-pilots side in any of them.

So until someone shows me a period pic of LiL with the larger co-pilots seat, Im sticking with what I have.

Besides, its a tad late to be starting over on something like that when Im already completely done with both seats. ;)

Brian,

PHENOMENAL....

:wub:

:wub:

:clap2:

:bow:

Thanks Maru, very kind of you to say!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now then gents on to a bit of progress on the fair Lady.............

Started the night off by breaking out some color PE. I know some of you guys dont like using it, and it seems some are too good to use it, but I love PE. Color PE is great but needs help. Things are flat. Period. PE doesnt work well for wires, or control knobs and handles, or anything that needs to be physically round in shape.

I always add and modify my PE. Eduard seems to have an annoying habit of getting their colors wrong but in this case the IP is black, and comes that way from Eduard, so less of a problem. The only issue is their black looks more like dark dark blue under close heavy lighting.............NBD as in any normal light it looks just like its supposed to............and in this case, as I have always said, ***THE MACRO LENS IS NOT YOUR FRIEND***. :lol:

I have just started to add a few PE bits to the fuselage side walls, coloring the sides and hiding any fold lines or unrealistic coloring. I have also added some silver switches from flat stretched sprue, along with some carefully placed drops of red for buttons, and clears for lights. This will all be detailed and weathered before assembly, including wire looms -

DSC01033.jpg

DSC01032.jpg

Next up, I wanted to fix a little omission on HKs part, and that is the gun/bomb triggers. I had this grandeous ideeer about making them out of some teeny tiny stainless tubing, painting some appropriately sized copper wire red, and inserting that into the tube, then gluing those together, then cutting the whole thing to size and attaching to the control yoke.

Sounded fine, and actually worked out in the end but not until after MUCH cursing and fiddling. I also painted up some .010 lead wire white, and wired the triggers up, then banded them. Not perfect, but still turned out cool looking IMHO and much improvement over non-existent ones. I know the slightly larger than scale wiring on the control yokes may not be 100% accurate, but I like the looks of it against the green control yoke and it brought more color to the pit as well. -

DSC01024.jpg

DSC01022.jpg

DSC01023.jpg

I then finished up the instrument panel & center console. I took the OOB PE parts and added the appropriate sized plastic rod to it to make up the handles themselves, as PE is also not great at representing this IMHO.

Again, I am completely blown away by how much crappier things look under the unflinching scrutiny of the macro lens. Blows me away, but trust me, things do look substantially better in person.

I forged on, finished, then added the throttle levers, prop pitch levers, engine mixture levers, elevator trim wheel, throttle and mixture locks, carb heater levers, and finally the two supercharger boost levers -

DSC01031.jpg

DSC01028.jpg

DSC01027.jpg

The IP was also updated with stretched sprue switches, and clear red/yellow Tamiya paint for dash lights.

All for tonight kiddies! Thanks again for dropping in on me.

Cheers,

BTW, does anyone know if MV makes anything like dash lights, or has anyone used their landing light/train lenses for this purpose?

Looking at these pics, I also realize I failed to install the Grimes cockpit dash lights as well....................Hope I remember to add them before IP assembly as its going to be way easier that way..............

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Love the detailing to the yokes and to the front office. Weathering is exceptional and looks right on the money. Absolutely agree about the curse of the macro lens but we all have to realize, is that what we're seeing is magnification and not reality. Try reducing one image down to life size and posting that along with the macros, as it should place everything back into proper proportion. Of course, I haven't really thought about how to do that.

Looking good ... Keep 'em coming

Sorry for coming late to the party Brian, but I am so pleased that I have arrived, as this build is awesome!

I can tell that you like this aircraft with a real passion (I think that there might be another one that I feel similar about, although I can't quite recall what it is at the moment? :lol:).

I really love your seat weathering technique (I need to know what all this hairspray technique stuff is all about as it looks really :speak_cool:).

BTW, I have now got some replacement B-25 wheels, so I shall have another go at getting the hubs correct this time (I am actually going to re-design them a little as well).

Cheers

Derek

I can only add my admiration to what has already been stated here brother. Excellent looking stuff,specially the IP!! As to MV lenses,they come in all kinds of sizes and IIRC are graded by metric so will have to measure the size you need and then see if the vendor carries that size. Last time I tried to find them they were as scarce as hens' teeth though. Hope it's changed!

Once again,brilliant!

J

Brian

Love the detailing to the yokes and to the front office. Weathering is exceptional and looks right on the money. Absolutely agree about the curse of the macro lens but we all have to realize, is that what we're seeing is magnification and not reality. Try reducing one image down to life size and posting that along with the macros, as it should place everything back into proper proportion. Of course, I haven't really thought about how to do that.

Looking good ... Keep 'em coming

Thanks Peter! I might have to try that. I do enjoy getting in close occasionally as painful as it is sometimes..............it does at least give one an idea of how their work actually looks. My little Sony 16mp camera does take decent shots for as small and cheap as it is. I have contemplated an SLR like my bro, but I really dont take that many pics that would require an expensive SLR like he has.................................except maybe when we go to Reno that is!

Sorry for coming late to the party Brian, but I am so pleased that I have arrived, as this build is awesome!

I can tell that you like this aircraft with a real passion (I think that there might be another one that I feel similar about, although I can't quite recall what it is at the moment? :lol:).

I really love your seat weathering technique (I need to know what all this hairspray technique stuff is all about as it looks really :speak_cool:).

BTW, I have now got some replacement B-25 wheels, so I shall have another go at getting the hubs correct this time (I am actually going to re-design them a little as well).

Cheers

Derek

Thanks for the kind workds Derek. :)

Good news on the B-25 wheels, and getting them where you want them....................and now that we have a more realistic price point for the widow, I feel a set coming on for her!

I can only add my admiration to what has already been stated here brother. Excellent looking stuff,specially the IP!! As to MV lenses,they come in all kinds of sizes and IIRC are graded by metric so will have to measure the size you need and then see if the vendor carries that size. Last time I tried to find them they were as scarce as hens' teeth though. Hope it's changed!

Once again,brilliant!

J

Wow, thanks Jerry. :) Good news on the MV lenses........................it prompted me to look at my normal stomping grounds first and low and behold, SprueBros has a TON of them! And a lot of them do seem to be in stock as well:

SB.com MV Lenses

Thanks again all for looking in on me..........more pics soon, as I still have to weather the control yoke boots, add the cockpit lights and change the color of teh control yoke handles to black from the green I mistakenly painted them. :(

Cheers all!

Brian

BTW, does anyone know if MV makes anything like dash lights, or has anyone used their landing light/train lenses for this purpose?

I used fine Fiber Optic fiber. I take a Lighter and heat one end till it mushrooms over to the size you need. Then I snip it off and place it where needed. If needbe you can paint it with Tamiya clear's. Also you may want to also just hit the cut end with some heat and paint silver. Hope that idea may work for you.

Vandy

Thanks guys!

Vandy, Ill have to try that. The only issue i can see is getting a small amount of the FO fiber line. Most of the IT places that handle it have a larger minimum to buy. Ill have to check around.

I also discovered I actually have some MV lenses that I didnt use when building my P-40 and a commission Has P-51 awhile ago. I just didnt always like the idea of having to drill a small concave circle to fit the convex back of the MV lens.

Ill have to see if I can score some FO fiber. I should actually be able to find some in one of our surplus IT equipment closets at work too. :hmmm:

Brian Try one of the party places or 99 cent store, Like Party world for a toy with the fine Fiber Optic strands. While your at it run some Nav lights to :hmmm: LOL Vandy

Ah cool. Didnt think of the party/99 cent stores. We have plenty of those kind of crap stores round here. :lol:

As to the Nav lights.................lol you have no Idea...........

I intially was planning to fill this thing with electronics including cabin lights, dash lights nav lights, and starting props with full sound including starter motor. This is the same system, only installed in the 48th AM B-25 kit. This set up also included fiber optic cable to deliver exhaust flicker as well :

Its from a company called Dynamic Scale Modeling. He stopped producing the stuff for awhile and I lost the urge, as there really is no way to self contain the whole ball of wax, and I really didnt want to have do any kind of base to make things work.

I just discovered this thread, and all I can say is WHOA! Amazing work! I wish I could do that with my cockpits.

Thanks Bryan! Very kind of you to say

Edited by Out2gtcha