Special Hobby X-15-A2

foiler

Building a model of an X-15 should be one of those weekend wonders, right? A little glue, spray it flat black, and put it on the shelf....... unless it is one of the CMK/Special Hobby kits.... more like 8 weeks and a complete loss of eyesight! Just kidding of course....

I wanted something to fill out my North American Aviation collection. I already had a P-51D, P-82C, F-86F, and an F-100D; all in 1/32 scale. Then it dawned on me that the X-15 was also NAA. I bought the Special Hobby kit with the tanks and "ground dolly". Evidently this kit has had several iterations and continual improvement. It is a great kit, but not for the faint of heart or someone not willing to use tweezers. I was thinking "injection molded" when I bought it. However, it is a "limited run" injection molded kit. As such there are 167 injection molded parts, 82 beautiful resin parts, 52 photo-etched parts, and 142 decals. After overcoming a few glitches with the instructions I must say that this was one of the most "entertaining" builds I have ever done.....

IMG_0989_zpscb76f9cb.jpg

I chose to make the tanks like they were used on their first test flight. These tanks are installed on the X-15 in the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. The tanks are different on that plane, whereas the instructions show them to be mirrors of one-another.

IMG_0988_zpsdbec4d4f.jpg

IMG_0998_zps27503913.jpg

The dolly and tanks are kits by themselves.......

IMG_0997_zpse1a2e69a.jpg

IMG_1001_zps43a85b40.jpg

IMG_0990_zps54cf823b.jpg

IMG_0994_zpsad405e1d.jpg

IMG_0993_zps975dd3a8.jpg

IMG_0987_zpsfbf163c0.jpg

Thanks for lookin' in on me!

Ken

it's strange. I've got nothing to nothing with modern jets and am pulled more towards ww2 and ww2, but this plane has always got a weird attraction to me.

Your build has sparked that attraction once more... I love this kit and you have achieved a very nice and clean finish. Congrats!

Cheers,

Jeroen

Beautuful work my friend!

The X-15 was the stuff of dreams as I was growning up and it has always held special interest to me.

I have the same kit and have collected a ton of AM and data; hope it turns out half as nice as yours.

Barry

That really does look fantastic Ken! May I have your permission to publish this on the main website?

Kev

You sure can Kev. BTW, I forgot to mention that I resisted putting any aftermarket parts on it, so the build is completely out of the box. In case you hadn't noticed, there isn't one drop of foil on it either.....

Ken

Beautuful work my friend!

The X-15 was the stuff of dreams as I was growning up and it has always held special interest to me.

I have the same kit and have collected a ton of AM and data; hope it turns out half as nice as yours.

Barry

Thanks Barry! I always try to get stuff like this done before you do cuz I know yours will blow the others away!

Ken

Guest Peterpools

Ken

Gorgeous build and a lot of remarkable work. When I started looking at the posted images, I didn't even realized the first image was the finished model.

Awesome workmanship :bow: :clap2: