XS-Models Hughes H-1

LSP_Kevin

Just leaping ahead here slightly guys. I'm thinking about a base for this one, and found a suitable candidate in my stash:

NgRIw0.jpg

Any thoughts or advice on how to finish it? In my mind's eye I originally saw plane and figure on a dark, deeply stained piece of wood, with no other concessions to reality. However, this chunk of wood, while an idea size, isn't great stuff, and has already been treated with either stain and/or varnish. I just don't think it's attractive enough to cut it as a wooden base.

That leaves me with either painting it, or covering it with something (tarmac, grassy field, ...?).

Any ideas most welcome and appreciated!

Kev

Just leaping ahead here slightly guys. I'm thinking about a base for this one, and found a suitable candidate in my stash: [img=http://91.68.209.8/bmi/i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww50/kfutter/Hughes%20Racer/file-7.jpg] Any thoughts or advice on how to finish it? In my mind's eye I originally saw plane and figure on a dark, deeply stained piece of wood, with no other concessions to reality. However, this chunk of wood, while an idea size, isn't great stuff, and has already been treated with either stain and/or varnish. I just don't think it's attractive enough to cut it as a wooden base. That leaves me with either painting it, or covering it with something (tarmac, grassy field, ...?). Any ideas most welcome and appreciated! Kev

Why not a ploughed field, like the one HH landed the H-1 onto after he ran short of fuel at the end of his successful record attempt ?

Hubert

Why not a ploughed field, like the one HH landed the H-1 onto after he ran short of fuel at the end of his successful record attempt ?

Hubert

Thanks for the suggestion Hubert. I thought about that, but decided I didn't want to model the aircraft in a crash scene. It would save me from having to deal with the landing gear though!

Kev

I think a nice close cut grass field might do the trick...............

Just wondering if any of those pre-made grass mats seen on LSP lately might work?

I know the model train guys also use grass "paper" that comes in rolls, though Im not sure how small of a quantity they would sell -

GM21%5B1%5D.jpg

Edited by Out2gtcha

I think a nice close cut grass field might do the trick...............

Just wondering if any of those pre-made grass mats seen on LSP lately might work?

It's kinda hard to know without seeing them in the flesh, or even in context. I've got one of those old-fashioned grass matts that railroaders use, and it would never do quite frankly. It's uniform in colour, texture and height, so I'd have to look for something a little more realistic.

The stuff that Eric showcased recently looks more suited to unprepared WWI strips and fields, rather than the more heavily manicured airfields in the peace-time US of the 1930s. I'm quite open to suggestions and pointers!

Kev

Hi Kev, have a look at the guys website, he offers many other options.

Yeah mate, I remember having a look at the time that you posted your stuff. I'll have another gander, but I distinctly remember most of the options being of quite rough terrain. I'm not looking to do anything elaborate at this stage, so the cut-it-up-and-stick-it-down approach really appeals!

Gotta go find that website again...

Kev

Gotta go find that website again...

Found it! What about something like this one?

http://www.modellers-warehouse.com.au/Wild%20places/Foliage%20mats%201%20page/foliagef513new.html

A bit hard to tell how tall the grass is from the top-down image though.

Or this one:

http://www.modellers-warehouse.com.au/Wild%20places/Foliage%20mats%201%20page/foliagef001.html

Much more uniform, but perhaps a little too much so?

Kev

Oh, well just another one to follow ...... Who am I kidding? This looks fantastic and am definitely following. What a great subject - I had no idea this kit existed (albeit I steer clever of all resin kits - cos I'm not goon enough yet).

Grant.

Another option for the grass. If you want taller grass in this scale,the best thing is the new generation of matts that are made from fake fur skins. They come pre painted or raw and are easily spray painted. much more convincing than HO scale short grass.

J

Thanks for the suggestion Hubert. I thought about that, but decided I didn't want to model the aircraft in a crash scene. It would save me from having to deal with the landing gear though!

Kev

Hi Kev,

I understand your point. Just for the historical record, this was considered a controlled landing, and thus the FIA officials could validate the record. If it had been a crash, the homologation would have been refused... :)

Hubert.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, trying to get back to this one now, but am having a few issues. Firstly, I've discovered that the resin piece representing the propellor boss is missing. I've highlighted the part in question in the two photos below:

iAJlln.jpg

0zumJh.jpg

I've sent an email off to Andreas at XS-Models to see if I can obtain the missing part. Since the prop can be added right at the very end of the build, I don't expect it to hold me up (unless I have to scratch-build it!).

The other issue I'm having is that I can't make head nor tail of the 'instructions' for the PE parts for the cockpit:

8ZPnx0.jpg

I literally can't figure out what parts from the PE fret are represented on the diagram, how exactly they're meant to be folded, and where exactly they're meant to go. I'm lost! I'll have to see if I can dig up photos of the real thing and go from there.

Kev