XS-Models Hughes H-1

LSP_Kevin

Having this one in the stash, I am following you step by step Kevin, and soaking your experience on this baby...Great work and very instructive thread ! :goodjob:

Now, between Roland and myself, the (snail's) race is on: who will be the fisrt to complete the H-1 ? :evil_laugh:

Hubert.

Thanks Hubert. I think the main form of instruction I'm dishing out here is how not to build this kit!

Speaking of which, I've had some success getting the fin straightened. I followed the advice offered by Roland and Thor, and cut as far through the base of the fin as I dared, on the side of the lean. Then, using a fair bit of force, I pulled back on the fin to open up the gap and forced in a section of styrene strip, and then doused it with thin CA:

gg6oiK.jpg

It's quite messy, and will need a lot of work to get this area ready for Alclad, but I'm really happy with the result:

6Mfrgs.jpg

Success! The tail planes are still a little off, but this is miles better than it was, and I can live with it now. I did manage to butcher the port side of the tail, under the trailing edge of the rudder, however:

tkh76p.jpg

Not really sure how or even if I can fix this, but it won't be the end of the world if I can't.

Kev

Yeah ! Nice fix !

(...)

It's quite messy, and will need a lot of work to get this area ready for Alclad, but I'm really happy with the result

(...)

I disagree !

Does not look messy to me, and now it will just need putty (what ever kind you use), sandpaper, primer and a bit more sandpaper ^_^

(BTW, 'had good experience in the past with simple automotive 2K "surface" putty !)

There are no twisted, bent or completely missaligned, unbuiltable parts and/or assemblies !?

Anyway, 'looks fine to me !

:popcorn:

OK fellas, it's at this point in the build that we get bogged down in the fill-sand cycle. Here's the fuselage with its first round of Milliput applied:

VwORTY.jpg

Here's the basic cockpit:

XikNuj.jpg

I replaced the shaft of the white metal control stick with aluminium tube, as I managed to destroy the original while trying to remove all the flash. I tried to replicate the wooden floor using the oils-over-acrylics technique, but pretty much failed miserably.  All I managed to achieve was to blend the oil paints together to create a new patina, with no noticeable grain effects at all. I'll have to practice this a bit I think before attending to the wheel bays, which need similar treatment.

There really should be a lot more detail here, but you'll have to wait for Roland to resume his build to see how it's really done.

Here's a mock-up of the fuselage and wings fitted together:

t0Ya2h.jpg

Doesn't look too bad! There's trouble ahead on the underside though:

2t6GLM.jpg

8ZP6e1.jpg

Still considering my options on that one.

Kev

All I managed to achieve was to blend the oil paints together to create a new patina, with no noticeable grain effects at all.

8ZP6e1.jpg

Still considering my options on that one.

Kev

Hmmm...

Just tell anyone who asks you were trying to replicate particle board. :DodgeBall:

Nasty step on the bottom there, good luck!

Wow, found myself way back on page 4 already! Just a small update this one, though I guess it represents a bit of a milestone in the build. I've finally got the wings on:

Z8BKLK.jpg

This part of the assembly was quite tricky, and I had to resort to a combination of clamps, brute force, additional sanding, super thin CA and super thick CA (gel) to get the job done. This had the welcome side-effect of straightening up my previously curved forward fuselage. Nice one!

Here is a close up of the join of the forward part:

5Aqlw5.jpg

The rear part is not as neat, but serviceable:

Y3M6VQ.jpg

And here's that dreaded bottom section:

7sWEd0.jpg

Getting all that in place neatly was quite a process, but I won't bore you all with the excruciating details (unless you want them).

My next few modelling sessions will see me working through the fill/sand/prime cycle, so I probably won't post an update until after that's completed. It's boring enough to do, let alone watch!

Kev

And here's that dreaded bottom section:

Getting all that in place neatly was quite a process, but I won't bore you all with the excruciating details (unless you want them).

Kev

In fact, having this baby in the stash, yes I'd love to know how you managed to correct that big step .... this is not boring at all :)

Hubert.

Each material sands out just that tiny bit differently. What's your plan?

Thanks for checking in Dan. Your question is basically the same one I'm now asking myself! The upper forward section probably doesn't need any more than some more sanding of the wing part to get it to blend in better, and then a lick of Mr Surfacer. The rear section is trickier. It will be easy enough to eliminate the gap with a CA/talc mix, but that would require more sanding than, say, a sliver of Milliput smoothed out with a moist finger. But it might perhaps make for a better surface to rescribe into when the time comes.

The gaps on the underside are more substantial, but create the same dilemma. CA or the CA/ talc mix would also provide additional strength in those areas, but at the cost of additional sanding.

One thing's for sure: by the time I've finished sanding and priming this model, it's going to look like the Michelin man!

Kev