1/32 Tamiya Spitfire IX

DonH

Don- That engine compartment looks REAL, a super human effort and the results speak for themselves. Master class build here.

Thanks, it was fun buidling the engine due to the research and satisfaction of figuring out where everything went. I have a sense of anti-climax now it's all done. Have to raise my game to finish the build...

Outstanding work all around! Your plumbing is second to none.

Yes, I am thinking of a new career as a plumber!! I think I could build a 1:1 Merlin in my sleep now.

Magnificent effort! Love those variously weighted pipes and lines. Great effect.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark, as far as possible, all pipes, wires and linkages are scale diameter. Some electrical cables are a good guess as I couldn't find the specs for them. Mk1 eyeball had to suffice.

Cheers

Don

Miracle Masks in place. Generally went on without a problem, just some minor trimming in places. The mask material is very good - conforms to the surface really well and can be re-positioned many times.

_MG_0934_zpsba16bfff.jpg

_MG_0935_zps404507ce.jpg

_MG_0933_zps301a6f50.jpg

Going to break out the airbrush and the green paint. How will the masks perform?? Find out tomorrow....

Cheers

Don

Well, I have sprayed the green camo colour in the relevant places. Now for the unmasking. Lift a corner, pull gently. Is the paint lifting.....no. Do I have a clean line......Yes.

Sweat forms on the brow, surely it can't all be like this....

Next mask.....OK, and the next.....

IT'S A MIRACLE :yahoo:

All the masking is off and ALL, count 'em ALL of the demarcation lines between the camo colours are crisp and there is NO, I repeat NO overspray or unauthorised feathered edges.

These Miracle Masks are FANTASTIC. I'm gonna use them again, no doubt. Well, obviously, 'cos I have the roundels and codes to do, but I mean for more camo schemes.

Anyway, while I am off celebrating this result, enjoy some pictures.....

_MG_0941_zpse02dc099.jpg

_MG_0940_zps9c6598d1.jpg

_MG_0939_zps95173d4f.jpg

_MG_0938_zpsc2852698.jpg

_MG_0937_zps4807d368.jpg

Cheers

Don

Thanks everyone for your nice comments.

After a full day's work, the yellow leading edge strips, wing walk lines and all roundels, serials and codes are done with the aid of Miracle Masks. I gotta admit, it was tough going but the end result is worth it in my opinion. Put it this way, I am pleased with the results. Some very minor touch up to do on the sky band, but that's about it.

BTW I used xtracrylix Sky and I am not sure that I like the colour. I have seen debates rage about the "correct" colour and I am not entering into that. I have used it and that's it. (Don't be fooled by the colour saturation in the photos, it is a lot greener in real life). Next time, I will add a touch of white :hmmm:

Yellow, White and Nato Black from Tamiya acrylics. And the blue and "red" from Lifecolor.

Hope you like the pictures.

_MG_1241_zpscb2aef08.jpg

_MG_1242_zpsed430274.jpg

_MG_1243_zps831aa1db.jpg

The finishing line is getting closer!!

Cheers

Don