1/32 Tamiya Spitfire IX

DonH

The Merlin moves on....

Ignition cables installed, straps on the pipe are Tamiya tape and will sit down under a coat of paint.

IMG_0280.jpg

Fuel line to the carb is made from a guitar string and other pipes are lead wire

IMG_0282.jpg

Pipes done:

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

Onto the control linkages. These were made with guitar string and some photo-etch ship's railing. Works for me!

IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3402.jpg

The piece of guitar string hanging vertically from the engine is the supercharger gear change ram. It usually had a protective sleeve on it, simulated by the windings on the string

IMG_3401.jpg

All painted up and finished bar some weathering. The copper pipes are drains that will connect to various parts of the plane when the engine is installed. More to do on these but the engine is basically done!!

IMG_4349_zps171280bc.jpg

IMG_4350_zps0a2ea408.jpg

Hope you like!

Don

ye gods, I'm glad I didn't open up the engine on my Hurricane! I do have the Hobbyboss Spitfire VB trop that I'll be converting to a Vc trop at some point in the near future, but that will be just cockpit and radio bay detailing, not the engine thank goodness... hmmm unless I have more mechanics than just my Dad doing the electrics working on the Spit in the diorama... dammit stop tempting me!

Superb work, that cockpit is a thing of beauty and the merlin is stunning! I liked the radiators as well, very interesting detail there.

Don

Aces on the Merlin, as the detailing looks spot on.

Keep 'em coming

Thanks Peter, I appreciate your comments. I am now working on the engine bulkhead, oil tank and engine frame. Lots of wiring to do!!!

ye gods, I'm glad I didn't open up the engine on my Hurricane! I do have the Hobbyboss Spitfire VB trop that I'll be converting to a Vc trop at some point in the near future, but that will be just cockpit and radio bay detailing, not the engine thank goodness... hmmm unless I have more mechanics than just my Dad doing the electrics working on the Spit in the diorama... dammit stop tempting me!

Superb work, that cockpit is a thing of beauty and the merlin is stunning! I liked the radiators as well, very interesting detail there.

Ha ha!! Yes, I wish I had decided to build it with the engine hidden! The next one will be OOB.

I am enjoying your Hurrican build, keep posting!!

Well, I have almost caught up with my build progress and posts will slow down after this one.

Here is the work on the engine bulkhead. I have done about as much as I can do before attaching the engine bearers. Then there will be a whole load of wiring to run, but for now, enjoy.

Copper piping is made from lead wire and painted with Tamiya acrylics.

IMG_4345_zpsc9417f85.jpg

IMG_4347_zpsd6c2d559.jpg

IMG_4341_zpsff2b117a.jpg

IMG_4348_zps617ee76d.jpg

Cheers

Don

Nice work. Mighty fine detailing.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark. This build is giving me headaches because background documentation is sometimes hard to come by and also contradictory. Still, I am having a lot of fun with it.

Don

Nice progress on the Spit. The bulkhead is looking real busy wih all the plumbing added.

Keep 'em coming

Peter, thanks. I am aiming for a busy look and there is much more to add with wiring along the engine bearers and the intercooler connections. I am afraid that the speed of posts will slow down now as I am a) a slow builder, B) doing some scratch building which takes time and c) away on business during Feb and March will really knock my building time.

Hope to have an update in a few weeks.

Regards

Don

I'm having a VERY frustrating time with this kit during the weekend. Virtually every part I have glued together on the airframe has left a seam that has needed filling and sanding. I would like to emphasize that this is my problem and not the kit. I just can't seem to do it right first time! Anyway, after a few days of filling and sanding, I am happy with the joins on the fuselage. Now onto the wings. Main planes are on and in good alignment but, again, I have a small gap at the wing root. No big deal but it's frustrating when it fit so tight during dry fit. The tailplanes are a different matter. I have managed to glue them on with one a fraction low at the tip and the other a fraction high. It isn't much but it is kind of noticeable and gives the aircraft a twisted look when viewed from straight on.

We are talking about a millimetre maximum but, boy, what an impact!

So, I need some advice. How to correct the errant tailplane? Cut a groove in the topside and apply force downwards. Vice versa for the other? Are there any other bright ideas? I really don't fancy the idea of surgery!!

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Don

Edited by DonH

• 2 months later...

Yahoo!! :yahoo:

I am back at the bench after a long 3 month break.

I have continued work on the engine mounting, adding electrical cabling, hydraulic and pneumatic pipes, oil and water feeds. Most of it is lead wire, the straps are made from pre-cut Eduard tape painted black. Most pipe connectors are made from painted micro tubing.

IMG_0199_zpsf2ccf768.jpg

IMG_0198_zpsf97cf760.jpg

IMG_0204_zps437ee7b9.jpg

The loose ends will connect to the engine when it's in place.

Here is one of the exhaust mountings. I used the Eduard tape to do the rubbing strips and I have started to add Archer rivets for the fasteners. Not sure if I like this yet.

I need to do some weathering and then a matt coat to finish it off.

IMG_0196_zps0a7bccc5.jpg

Finally, just to prove that there is a plane to hang off the end of this...

IMG_0205_zps003aa290.jpg

IMG_0209_zpsfa5fc074.jpg

Hope you like

Cheers

Don

Edited by DonH