Hobbycraft Sea Fury Hawker Company demonstrator G-AKRY

airscale

Peter, I am running out of superlatives. However this is a symphony of perfection, post, by post I have been amazed by your skill set and daring and precise execution of your work.

Hats down.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks chaps - great to get encouragement :)

Very nice Peter, can I ask where did you get your drawing?

Regards
Richard

Richard - I had the local printer (prontaprint) blow up some plans - reputedly the most accurate of the Sea Fury, from an October 1983 edition of 'Scale Models' - cost about £10, I just gave them the scale wingspan in mm and they got it bang on..

The hardest part was finding the original 30 year old plan itself and the magazine (ebay is your friend...)

WIP460_zpsda2f6f7b.jpg

TTFN
Peter

• 2 weeks later...

evening all..

..just a baby update as just back from India and only got a little done..

...I skinned the other side of the elevator in brass and tried really hard to get as fine a trailling edge as possible - what do you think?

WIP624_zps48e451aa.jpg

WIP625_zpsbd6cf382.jpg

WIP627_zpsdc7d6830.jpg

WIP626_zps2d37a80a.jpg

..I guess I won't really know until I prime it - speaking of which does anyone know how to prime brass like this - is there some sort of etch primer or something as I noticed mr surfacer doesn't really like sticking to it?

TTFN

Peter

..I guess I won't really know until I prime it - speaking of which does anyone know how to prime brass like this - is there some sort of etch primer or something as I noticed mr surfacer doesn't really like sticking to it?

Gunze makes a metal primer that, oddly enough, they've decided to call Mr Metal Primer. I've been using it, but the jury's still out on its utility for me. It's clear, and dries clear, so you can't really tell if it's staying on or not! And I've noticed that acrylic paint can still be encouraged off the metal part after using it, so it's no panacea. But on balance I reckon it's probably still more effective than Mr Surfacer. I believe Tamiya makes a similar product.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

evening all,

got a little bit done today - first time at the bench for a few weeks (sigh...)

..started looking at the wing radiator intake - the kit is wrong here as it has the bottom of the wing flat, with a very square snub nosed leading edge. You can see on the real wing the intake that it protrudes below the wing and has a flap area at the rear - also the leading edge has an aerofoil section...

WIP630_zpsd23c8b7e.jpg

..and on the kit.... nothing...

WIP629_zpse6884a74.jpg

..i made a couple of brass templates of the right shape so when I sand it all to shape the brass should preserve the cross-section. Also added some card to get the flat wide edges that can be seen on the real one..

WIP631_zps6dce5bd9.jpg

...fixed them into place...

WIP632_zps8aeaf528.jpg

WIP633_zps7058bc7e.jpg

..added some chunks of plastic to avoid it all being filler...

WIP634_zps7bba333c.jpg

..taped up to mask green stuff getting everywhere and got busy spreading it about..

WIP635_zps8cb37462.jpg

WIP636_zpse3049119.jpg

...took the masking off while the putty was still soft and have the basic shapes to work with...

WIP637_zps8cf8202b.jpg

WIP638_zpsd6b77492.jpg

..I get to leave this to go off for a while as I am off to Hong Kong & Manila again on business on Sunday, so this should all be rock hard and workable when I get back. Thank goodness I have Mrs airscale to look after the store ...

TTFN

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

evening chaps..

been a while but time to get going again...

...before I went to the far east, I had roughed out the wing radiator fairing that is wrong and mainly missing in the kit from green stuff - this had gone off so started to shape it with a sanding stick..

WIP639_zps4c169dce.jpg

..soon had near enough the sort of shape I was after...

WIP640_zps2626b510.jpg

WIP641_zpsb2c38b89.jpg

...set about the other side...

WIP642_zps7632aa79.jpg

WIP643_zps716b6afd.jpg

..the shapes and fairings in this area are quite complex - Steve offered to take some pics of the Sea Fury in his care a while back and got some great shots that really helped - I am sure he won't mind me sharing to show what I mean.. :)

WIP647_zps0aad051e.jpg

WIP646_zps873a396c.jpg

..and after some primer I could see what I had to work with - pretty poor show actually, a hole and a bubble to take care of, but on the whole it turned out ok...

WIP644_zpscb3ad2e3.jpg

WIP645_zps708a1368.jpg

..until next time my friends..

TTFN

Peter