Hobbycraft Sea Fury Hawker Company demonstrator G-AKRY

airscale

Thank you Kev, Peter, Mark, Adam and Derek, kind words indeed :)

I am picking up what some of the bits and pieces are in the u/c bay but I have no manuals as reference so am just building what I can see in pictures - can't say I know what much of it is!

the first parts I do know... they are the actuators for the main wheels and mount to the main spar - these are just bits of rod and tube with a brass fitting...

WIP346.jpg

..after making fiddly bits for a few days I fancied a change and an eye rest so went to correct something I got wrong earlier - the aperture for the wheel well. I had reshaped it as the kit outline is wrong, but I actually made it worse. First I scaled a printout and cut the shape from a plan, then added thin sheet which I will clean up later....

WIP341.jpg

..I needed to get this right so I can get the measurements right for the main ribs that run across the u/c bay. First I made some rough templates...

WIP338.jpg

..these were then shaped to fit top and bottom and thinned enough to be able to fit the top wing...

WIP339.jpg

..then cut out the shapes in the rib that allow the u/c leg and retraction arm to sit in the wing...

WIP347.jpg

WIP342.jpg

...ran over it with a rivet wheel and finished the edges in brass...

WIP344.jpg

...and as usual, a shot of todays work in place...

WIP345.jpg

nice to be doing some structural work and not microscopic fiddling, probably should have made much of this earlier but the detail doesn't seem to be suffering from handling - I haven't broken anything yet....(.......yet...) ...probably because I wash everything with liquid CA to be strong anyway

that's it for now

Peter

evening all,

thought I would drop in with a little of what I can only loosely describe as progress...

I thought i might start with a little reminder as to why the u/c bay needs a bit (lot) if work... this is the kit part...

WIP348.jpg

..I needed to carry on with the ribs that seperate each bay - first up some electrical curcuit boxes found on each one. these are made from card and strip and some thin tubing - I used and adapted some of the PE parts in our cockpit detail set to dress the parts to look like the originals...

WIP349-1.jpg

..and fitted to the rib - I also added the bump stops for the gear legs in the concave cut-out, and a circular stiffner where a pipe goes through...

WIP350.jpg

...and the same on the other side...

WIP351.jpg

..and a dry run to make sure it fits and looks right...

WIP352.jpg

WIP353.jpg

..overall, slowly getting there but still loads more to do - started working on the rear spar, but that will have to wait for next time..

WIP354.jpg

told you I would be here a while :whistle:

TTFN

Peter

thanks guys

got a bit more done on the rear spars...

...first some blanks from card scored lightly with reference markings for the structure..

WIP355.jpg

...dressed with riveted brass and cut the apertures for two control rods that connect to a torsion bar that runs through the back of the u/c bay...

WIP358.jpg

...there are some structural braces that run from the roof of the bay onto the spars and down to the lower wing. I thought I needed 16 so cut & punched 16 blanks and covered the edges with CA. I cut a brass template and filed and sanded the group to the rough shape...

WIP356.jpg

...trimmed up with a scalpel and finished it's an easy way to make lots of one shape... I actually only needed 8 as the ones at the front are different...

WIP360.jpg

...the torsion bar was made from a length of rod with shaped card arms...

WIP361.jpg

..and finished with brass and control rods - it needs to be cut in half to fit it through the centre rib and is waaay too fragile an assembly to fit yet...

WIP362.jpg

..and the assembled spars...

WIP363.jpg

...a check to make sure it all fits - the braces can be seen at the back, running up the rear spar and will be flush with the wing once it is all glued together...

WIP364.jpg

WIP365.jpg

...that's it for now - some more plumbing next...

TTFN

Peter

I give up! I just can't keep trying to find new superlatives. Looks good? (nah), nice? (nah) ok then, BRILLIANT ! (That's the one, for at least the third time around)

Grant.

PS: I'm beginning to think you shouldn't even paint this - it will cover up all the fabulous brass and plastic work you've installed. People should just be able to marvel at the amount of scratch building you put into this thing.