Large scale conversions - Thoughts sought?...

Derek B

Derek,

Great question.

It seems to me that vac formed parts are perfectly viable in the context you described.

I've been looking at 1/32nd scale conversions for the F4U (-5, -7, AU-1)and found 1 rather obscure source of quality resin parts with costs over $100 delivered to North America. So much resin used that doesn't provide a lot of extra value.

I need an accurate part at a reasonable price - period. I can add detail to suit my needs and skill sets.

Keep up the good work.

Al Keller

Hi Derek

I would't mind vacform if it is Echelon quality or even better ( if possible). But I hope for resin parts to go for the finer details. A suggestion for a conversion ( I don't know if it's been mentioned already) , but how about a Me-163S conversion?

And I really hope to be able to build a British Phantom or two in the near future :)

Keep up the good work.

(-: Roy

Edited by Roy Noras

Although not in 1/32, Koster Ent. does such mixed media conversions. Their F-101 single seat Recce has you replacing

the forward fuselage with Vac. and the rest in resin bits ('cept the clear vac. canopy of course).

Speaking of Clear Vac. Would be cool if someone did a line continuing from what Falcon has made of 1/32 replacement

canopies. Mostly to get rid of the incorrectly shaped, squashed, thick, or otherwise bad kit ones.

Edited by phasephantomphixer

Guest Peterpools

Derek

Great idea. Since coming back to the hobby, I've spent a disproportionate amount of money on resin AM products. For the most part the detail was fantastic but the fit, well that's another topic.

Rivets, I'm with you. Totally unrealistic. Tough to see panel line on an aircraft 32 feet away, let alone rivets unless is covered in dirt and rust (not my cup of tea).

If the vac parts are accurate, crisp details, fine panel lines and fit well - GO FOR IT! :clap2: Sounds great and depending on the subject; I'm in!

Peter

:speak_cool: :speak_cool:

Derek,

Great question.

It seems to me that vac formed parts are perfectly viable in the context you described.

I've been looking at 1/32nd scale conversions for the F4U (-5, -7, AU-1)and found 1 rather obscure source of quality resin parts with costs over $100 delivered to North America. So much resin used that doesn't provide a lot of extra value.

I need an accurate part at a reasonable price - period. I can add detail to suit my needs and skill sets.

Keep up the good work.

Al Keller

Thank you Al - that is pretty much my thought as well ;) (the -7 and AU-1 Corsairs are also something that I would like to tackle one day!).

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Although not in 1/32, Koster Ent. does such mixed media conversions. Their F-101 single seat Recce has you replacing

the forward fuselage with Vac. and the rest in resin bits ('cept the clear vac. canopy of course).

Speaking of Clear Vac. Would be cool if someone did a line continuing from what Falcon has made of 1/32 replacement

canopies. Mostly to get rid of the incorrectly shaped, squashed, thick, or otherwise bad kit ones.

My conversion kits would also follow this principle.

Good idea about the canopies...we'll see what happens once I get established with the vac parts?:speak_cool:

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Derek

Great idea. Since coming back to the hobby, I've spent a disproportionate amount of money on resin AM products. For the most part the detail was fantastic but the fit, well that's another topic.

Rivets, I'm with you. Totally unrealistic. Tough to see panel line on an aircraft 32 feet away, let alone rivets unless is covered in dirt and rust (not my cup of tea).

If the vac parts are accurate, crisp details, fine panel lines and fit well - GO FOR IT! :clap2: Sounds great and depending on the subject; I'm in!

Peter

:speak_cool: :speak_cool:

Thank you for your support Peter :D

Derek

I think Derek did already mention this one as a possibility.

:speak_cool:

Kev

Me 163S: Kev is quite right Roy - I mentioned it in post #18 of this thread - it is one I have had planned for a long time ^_^

Derek

Edited by Derek B

I think it is a good way to go. All points of attention I would mention were already mentioned here. I really think it is a great way how to render a less expensive option of some very much needed and asked for conversions (yes, I am talking about the Brit Phantom). And without mentioning the specific person I know of at least one aftermarket guy who considers the same route.

Keep my fingers crossed that you do a right decision.

Jozef

Ah - cool...

Stephen mentioned it in his post - Trumpeter/Hobbyboss - I was going to convert a 21st Century kit a while back - but stopped plans when Trumpeter announced.

IIRC the 'B' is on it's way - not sure latest on the 'A' - but I'd love one as Spanish Civil Way type - and I like that period :)

Iain

Iain, are you sure that the Ju-87 to be issued by Trumpeter is the B? Well if it is true then once again the manufacturers illustrate their total lack of imagination. We have three Ju-87B kits already, the old Revell/USA, the 21st Century and the Hasegawa. So sure. lets issue another one.

These people disgust me.

Stephen

Hi Derek,

I like the idea of using vac formed parts for the larger parts of the conversion. Although I've never done a vac formed kit, it would be an opportunity to learn new techniques. That and if I muck up, replacement parts shouldn't be too expensive to get.

I definitely do like the idea of using female molds though. If you take a look at many of the Tamiya RC car bodies, they are done with female molds and the level of detail is impressive.

Carl

Iain, are you sure that the Ju-87 to be issued by Trumpeter is the B? Well if it is true then once again the manufacturers illustrate their total lack of imagination. We have three Ju-87B kits already, the old Revell/USA, the 21st Century and the Hasegawa. So sure. lets issue another one.

These people disgust me.

Stephen

Bit strong there Stephen, they're no doubt just trying to turn a profit, and there have been just two B's, the very old Revell and the 21st Century kits, the Trumpeter is a B http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10176873 and if they didn't release popular kits there's no way they'd be releasing the Anton, food for thought..?

Hi Derek,

I like the idea of using vac formed parts for the larger parts of the conversion. Although I've never done a vac formed kit, it would be an opportunity to learn new techniques. That and if I muck up, replacement parts shouldn't be too expensive to get.

I definitely do like the idea of using female molds though. If you take a look at many of the Tamiya RC car bodies, they are done with female molds and the level of detail is impressive.

Carl

Thanks Carl :speak_cool:

Having seen a little of your work, I have no doubts that you would be able to use the vacform parts without any problems at all.

Cheers

Derek