Large scale conversions - Thoughts sought?...

Derek B

BF2C-1 back to F-11 Goshawk??

....after the Anton of course.... :party0023:

Now that is a conversion I would pick up, maybe a few of them. I am stuck in the 30's I guess.

...and speaking of vacs, I guess that is the only way we will get a Martin B-10. I can dream, can't I? or just man up and work on it myself.

Tnarg

Hi guys

I have an aversion to vac, so would need to see 2 things before I contemplated buying any upgrade set which incorporated these parts:

1. Excellent close up photos showing me the surface detail - the better the pics the more you showcase your product; remember we are not there with you at your workbench

2. A build WIP with similarly good pictures to show me just how easy all this stuff goes together

Otherwise no matter how much I loved a particular subject, I would fail to be convinced, and just chicken out by waiting for what I want to appear in injection mould plastic.

FYI, cost is less of a consideration.

Hope this helps

Nick

Let's just say I will buy one of your Me-163 conversions when you make it, and more of those "thingies" that go with it that remain unmentioned lately, and when a lot more of us do that, maybe we will see some other good stuff as well.

Thanks for the hard work to make it happen.

Sorry to misrepresent you Stephen. I hope you knew it was all in jest, but we are both trying to nudge Derek in the "right" direction.

Tnarg

Grant (and Stephen),

Don't worry - I took it all in the good humour that was intended ;)

Having said that, it is indeed worth looking at, but at present, I do not have the kit, reference or time to really do anything about it, but you are right, it would be a very good candidate for such treatment.

As for other komet 'thingies', apart from the SG500 Jgadfaust that I am currently working on, I am talking Me 163S conversion, and Scheuschlepper and hydraulic lift for the Komet amongst other things (my scratchbuilt Me 163A should also generate interest for Komet stuff in general) - my next two releases after the SG500 are also Luftwaffe weapon related as well!.

Regards

Derek

Derek

Im totally in favour of Vac conversions.

I have a few resin conversions and kits, but after seeing a really well done large scale resin kit of a friend have its wings warp while he set it out of its case while dusting........it only stayed in the sunlight for about 30 minutes....resin...or at lease a full resin kit.... scares the heck out of me.

Dave/Ironman1945

Thanks Dave - this is one of the primary considerations that has lead me to reconsider the use of vacform parts again?

Cheers

Derek

BF2C-1 back to F-11 Goshawk??

....after the Anton of course.... :party0023:

Hi Mike,

:hmmm: ...Care to enlighten me with some refrence please? (might sit nicely with my Hawk T.Mk.1 to T-45 Goshawk conversion?)...

Derek

Now that is a conversion I would pick up, maybe a few of them. I am stuck in the 30's I guess.

...and speaking of vacs, I guess that is the only way we will get a Martin B-10. I can dream, can't I? or just man up and work on it myself.

Tnarg

I have to admit that I secretly do have a liking for aircraft of this era Grant...just don't tell anyone!...:ph34r: :D

Derek

Hi guys

I have an aversion to vac, so would need to see 2 things before I contemplated buying any upgrade set which incorporated these parts:

1. Excellent close up photos showing me the surface detail - the better the pics the more you showcase your product; remember we are not there with you at your workbench

2. A build WIP with similarly good pictures to show me just how easy all this stuff goes together

Otherwise no matter how much I loved a particular subject, I would fail to be convinced, and just chicken out by waiting for what I want to appear in injection mould plastic.

FYI, cost is less of a consideration.

Hope this helps

Nick

I understand your fears Nick, but really, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Anyone who can tackle a 'normal' kit conversion set made from either IM or resin is more than capable of handling a vacform conversion - you use exactly the same skills, techniques and tools.

As stated, I have made female vacform master patterns for over 25 years, so I know what type of detail is possible in this media (close to very high IM standards, and often better than other IM surface detail!).

As for clear photographs; my WIP pics will show you all you need to know about quality of the parts and fit. Anyone who has bought my products (or the GMF P-40F/L nose conversion) will attest to the standard of my instruction sheets - they are very clear and explicit and should leave you with no doubts as to how to assemble my sets correctly.

HTH

Derek

Hi Mike,

:hmmm: ...Care to enlighten me with some refrence please? (might sit nicely with my Hawk T.Mk.1 to T-45 Goshawk conversion?)...

Derek

First, yes, the BF2C-1 back to F-11 Goshawk is a doable conversion. But I can do that myself with a block of balsa. That is no big deal. It might be an idea for you, however, as more guys are getting up enough courage to do biplanes.

Second, I just happen to have a 1/48 scale Ju-87A IM plastic kit that was issued by Special Hobby. I was planning on getting ahold of a 3-D laser scanner and scanning the fuselage and spats into the compooter, enlarge it to 1/32 (& 1/24) scale and then 3-D printing it in ABS or some compatible plastic. Then I have the thing in the larger scale and I can make a model of the A using this wondrous part or I can use it for a master to make a silicone mold and then make resin casts and sell them to my fellow drooling large scale modelers. I myself am salivating as I write this.

Two facts have dissuaded me from doing this. First is the very high cost of renting all the equipment which would be greater than just having it all done by a commercial firm. But, few firms want to get involved with such an obvious case of copyright infringement. The lawyers cost more than all the equipment put together. The morality of the act of stealing an other's copyright work is not an issue because, just like so many firms in Asia I am completely amoral. But even if I could find a firm to do it I will not spend all that much money just to get a model of an airplane. I could still build the parts I need out of wood with no monetary expenditure at all as I already have all the balsa and other materials I need.

So, if and when you get to the point where you are really ready to go forth and produce a 1/32 Ju-87A conversion kit, let me know and I'll LEND you my 1/48 kit. However, if you wait too long then Trumpeter will bring out their Ju-87A complete with dimples (put in just to frustrate fine scale modelers everywhere). Thus this long string of verbiage will be rendered moot.

Besides, my next scratch built model will be the HP Heyford in either 1/32 or 1/24 scale. If I get that beastie done then I'll make a vac of it and see if I can get it flying as an radio control model. I also have a few kit-bashes to make for the Vulgarian Air Force so my slate is full. I prefer that you or Trumpeter do the Anton or Annie. I prefer Annie cause girls are a lot more fun to play naughty games with than boys.

Whatever you do, enjoy it.

Stephen

Hiya Stephen,

You do realise an I/M kit of the Anton is on it's way?

Edit: DOH - just read rest of your post - my bad... I'll go back to sleep now! ;)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Derek,

The one that always springs to my mind would be the conversion for Uk Phantoms.

Only ever been a few and now oop and expensive.

It can be scratched but is a difficult piece of work.

Think a new conversion would be a good seller.

Phil

Derek,

The one that always springs to my mind would be the conversion for Uk Phantoms.

Only ever been a few and now oop and expensive.

It can be scratched but is a difficult piece of work.

Think a new conversion would be a good seller.

Phil

It is consideration to the F-4K/M that brought me around to this way of thinking again - once I have committed myself to a particular course of action, then there is pretty well no turning back, hence my canvassing modeller's thoughts before I make an irreversible decision to proceed?

Thanks

Derek

I would be happy using vac parts for the fuse conversion.

Think the thing that killed the previous conversions was price.

Keep it simple for the major areas that need doing and I'm sure it would sell.

Phil

As I mostly scratch build, I do vac form many parts. The criteria for any vac part would be that it be thick walled and rigid so there would be gluing surfaces and no need for internal structure. If this could be done vacced conversion parts would a great idea.